Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AdGuard Home on VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AdGuard Home on VPS

Hi,
does any of you host AdGuard Home on a VPS for private use (home router, smartphone, VPN)?
If yes, what's your VPS provider of choice and what do you think is the optimal price per month to pay for a VPS to host AdGuard Home?
I was looking for a tiny "nano" VPS with a IPv4 address in Germany, around €1-2/ Month, but it seems like there's no available offer. I've excluded all the NAT-VPSs because I'm not sure how it will work with the shared IPv4 when setting the DNS resolver on my home router and because I cannot use IPv6.
Thank you in advance for your answers

Comments

• Peppery9Peppery9 Member
    edited May 2022

Unless your router can do DNS-over-HTTP/TLS/Quic to your AdGuard server, don't do this. You'll be amplifying DDoSes in no time.

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • fazarfazar Member

I have adguard home running in a small VPS. I only use DoH and TLS and disabled default DNS resolver port. Running smooth serving 350+ clients.

You should able to run it using NAT VPS, as long as your clients support custom ports for DNS resolving.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

I have a Adguard home as primary then pihole as secondary DNS server running on a raspberry pi at home for local stuff resolving to my own DNS server running another stack.

I think if you're looking to just host your own DNS server for faster queries then adguard home + unbound might be good for you on a rapberrypi.

If you rly want to do this on a VPS and you're the only person who'd be using the instance then any 256MB VPS should do the job, don't bother paying a lot of money $12/yr from any good company will do you just fine. I was hosting just Adguard home + unbound on a lightsail instance for ~14months then switched to the pi.

• @Peppery9 said:
    Unless your router can do DNS-over-HTTP/TLS/Quic to your AdGuard server, don't do this. You'll be amplifying DDoSes in no time.

Have you heard of a firewall? You just limit to home IP. If that changes often, you need ddns and periodically check it to update firewall.

• Also, NextDNS, if under the monthly free limit kicks the living shit out of pihole, not sure about adguard.

Thanked by 1Void
  • @TimboJones said:
    Have you heard of a firewall? You just limit to home IP. If that changes often, you need ddns and periodically check it to update firewall.

Good luck maintaining that whitelist with your smartphone IP

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited May 2022

@Peppery9 said:

@TimboJones said:

Good luck maintaining that whitelist with your smartphone IP

You use VPN to the VPS when on mobile. That's pretty standard in all these pihole/adguard tutorials.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • donkodonko Member

purple daddy and virmach bf deals = 20$ year x 2 vps for my home adguard dns

• elliotcelliotc Member

Mainly use DoT only, and I white list my Country's IP address on iptables.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Oracle VM + WireGuard + OpenDNS = great protection

• user54321user54321 Member
    edited June 2022

The latency penalty from running that on a vps would be enough to don't do it. adguard home with caching works great on openwrt so I don't see any reason why somebody would want to get a vps for that.

• tjntjn Member

@TimboJones said:
    You use VPN to the VPS when on mobile. That's pretty standard in all these pihole/adguard tutorials.

This is the way.
    You can even create a Wireguard profile to just route your DNS queries when roaming.