Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dacentec: needed help from support after years. What happened?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dacentec: needed help from support after years. What happened?

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited May 2022 in Reviews

Even if I lurk from time to time, I am not as active as I used to be some years ago in LET - rather the opposite. But after my today's experience from Dacentec support, I really wanted to post here my experience.

It is not the first time I needed support from them, because of some misconfiguration I caused to my server after a try to upgrade the OS. I used their support once again in 2017 (!), when I initially did my setup to one of their infamous bargains: a rather old even for 6 years ago server with opteron 1385, 8GB memory, 2x2TB HDD and a special bonus of another 4TB (4 more disks of 1TB each) for free. Total, 8 TB HDD (in my case, 4TB due to raid1). At a price of 25$ per month with a generous /29 ipv4 connection and 20TB traffic!
Yes, the CPU is very old and not powerful, and the disks are old. But, the server was working more than fine all those years, the had to replace once only one hard drive before it failed (and they did it in 30 minutes) and the last uptime was over 900 days. So far, so good.

The server needed some serious update: with a debian 8 installation and on top of that a proxmox 4x, it was urgent to update both. Unfortunately, the upgrades did not complete smoothly, and I had to decide either to use a KVM and troubleshot for days maybe, or to reinstall the complete system as I had back up all my stuff and moved it to another server. I decided the latter.

So, this is my new experience from Dacentec. TL;DR, it is TOP NOTCH!

At first, trying to go to rescue mode from their client area, the procedure stalled and became unresponsive. I opened a ticket to resolve it and asking them also if they could detach the drives except the first one that had the OS, so, not to have to transfer 2TB of data back to the server and use the backups locally.
They answered in 5 (!) minutes and they already did a manual restart because of a BIOS setting that they fixed it, and informed me that they can unseat the drives for me. Brilliant!

I copied the files from my -in rescue mode- system, checked some things and replied to the ticket asking them to detach the drives, so I can complete the reinstallation. Again, they answered in 5 minutes and did what I ask for.
During the new install process, I faced some issues with the hardware, Proxmox 6 and Debian 11, so I opened a new reply to the ticket.
They replied me back in 10 minutes, providing me some info and giving me access to a KVM (for free) to use it for 12 hours and, if I needed more time, just to ask them so.
Excellent! I did some fine tuning using KVM and then, I installed my system and completed my setup. So, 20 minutes ago, I sent a new reply telling them I do not need the KVM anymore and asking to re-seat the extra 5 HDD drives. They replied to me that my request was done a minute before I started writing this review. That was my motive to do it, after all!

I have the server for 6 years. It is working like a charm. The network is more than fair, the uptime is great, the setup fulfills my needs (backups, some minor traffic websites, some test sites, some streaming server without the need of much processing power etc.

Thank you Dacentec staff for your efforts, polite and helpful responses, doing the extra mile to help your clients, even if they are paying peanuts! I really appreciate your business!

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

That's great, faster service than some that charge 500% more.

• KermEdKermEd Member

This is why I have a dozen servers with them :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Dacentec have always had great support.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Kudos for Dacentec

• I'd ask a mod to change your title, although absent a question mark, it looks like a negative title. And not helped by the verbose, unnecessary chatter.

"Dacentec: very fast support response" is not ambiguous at all and nobody needs to read the post to leave with positive feelings for them.

Thanked by 3devp zed afn
  • devpdevp Member

@TimboJones said:
    I'd ask a mod to change your title, although absent a question mark, it looks like a negative title. And not helped by the verbose, unnecessary chatter.

"Dacentec: very fast support response" is not ambiguous at all and nobody needs to read the post to leave with positive feelings for them.

Just add prefix "Review"

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@devp said: Just add prefix "Review"

This is posted in the "Reviews" category so adding a "Review" in the title would be somewhat redundant.

But here, I'll add a "?" just to make it proper.

• devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

@TimboJones said:
    I'd ask a mod to change your title, although absent a question mark, it looks like a negative title. And not helped by the verbose, unnecessary chatter.

@DP said:

@devp said: Just add prefix "Review"

This is posted in the "Reviews" category so adding a "Review" in the title would be somewhat redundant.

But here, I'll add a "?" just to make it proper.

Suggesting a title:
    From: " Dacentec: needed help from support after years. What happened? "
    To : " Dacentec: needed help from support after years. A Customer Story. "

• caracalcaracal Member

Have to concur, came in to the thread thinking I'd have to defend Dacentec then realised it was actually a positive review.

Thanked by 2devp jason5545
  • I have 4 RTO servers with them for years and it is still operating to this day but I haven't shipped out the servers back to Asia bcos of the shipping costs for me. Their uptime and support are indeed great, big plus on cheap RTO services to get.

• ralfralf Member

Yeah, I was also surprised when the story turned positive! As well as changing the title, maybe lead with the TLDR as it came after most people would have already TLDR'd!

But great to hear about their support. I like positive reviews like this (and also when providers respond well to bad situations).

Thanked by 1jason5545
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2022

Title itself is not negative nor looks like. It just won't reveal if it is either a positive or negative review. It is a common trick to create more attention to the readers, without being a click-bate. I am a professional journalist for 30 years, I own several news portals where I live and I know how titles in articles work :)
    In fact, title is rather positive, because it says clearly that I needed their support after years. A bad provider with bad support, usually does not provide a rock solid service that the support is unneeded for years...
    It's just that we, on LET, have been used reading almost exclusively bad reviews, most of the time unfair ones...

Thanked by 1devp
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@jvnadr said: this is my new experience from Dacentec. TL;DR, it is TOP NOTCH!

Kudos @dacentec!

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

we should simplify reviews to either "good" or "bad"
    one word only.

Thanked by 2Clouvider ralf
  • RocksterRockster Member
    edited May 2022

@TimboJones said: I'd ask a mod to change your title, although absent a question mark, it looks like a negative title.

No one gives a sh** about positive reviews at LET. We all opened this thread solely because of we hoped for some crappy user experience and now this?! Just terrible ...

Thanked by 1drizbo
  • devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

@Rockster said:

@TimboJones said: I'd ask a mod to change your title, although absent a question mark, it looks like a negative title.

No one gives a sh** about positive reviews at LET. We all opened this thread solely because of we hoped for some crappy user experience and now this?! Just terrible ...

A LET Forum Patron Reader.

• @Rockster said:

Speak for yourself.

You expected it to be bad because the title implied so. If the title was clearly positive, I wouldn't have clicked but still would treat it as another satisfied customer.

• @jvnadr said:
    Title itself is not negative nor looks like. It just won't reveal if it is either a positive or negative review. It is a common trick to create more attention to the readers, without being a click-bate. I am a professional journalist for 30 years, I own several news portals where I live and I know how titles in articles work :)

No, it's asking a question that we all know is usually a no. So, you're being suggestive that you needed help and didn't get it. That's not something to brag about with ambiguous titles and punctuation issues.

In fact, title is rather positive, because it says clearly that I needed their support after years. A bad provider with bad support, usually does not provide a rock solid service that the support is unneeded for years...

Wut? Needing their help could be because shit is down, it's irrelevant on its own whether the support you received was satisfactory or that it was the first time needing to contact them in years. Support quality != service quality.

It's just that we, on LET, have been used reading almost exclusively bad reviews, most of the time unfair ones...

I'm not going to search and check stats, but "almost exclusively bad reviews" and "most of the time unfair ones" doesn't check out for me. But this is an argument why a better title was clearly needed.

• RocksterRockster Member
    edited May 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Rockster said:

Speak for yourself.

You expected it to be bad because the title implied so. If the title was clearly positive, I wouldn't have clicked but still would treat it as another satisfied customer.

B... bbut you just confirmed what I said. Literally. :D

• @Rockster said:

@TimboJones said:

@Rockster said:

Speak for yourself.

B... bbut you just confirmed what I said. Literally. :D

You must be new. I came to bitch about the title, not the review. A proper title that was positive or negative wouldn't have gotten me to click, I wasn't interested beyond complaining about a shitty title that would be perceived negative. I was click baited.

• @TimboJones said: You must be new. I came to bitch about the title, not the review.

Nah, kiddo, you're new here.
    Beside that, there's no need to explain yourself. Everyone was click baited :) It's just LET.

• zedzed Member

@jvnadr said:

i'm definitely not a professional journalist, just a guy reading posts on let.
    if not for the people replying to your excellent post pointing out it was a positive review i'd have walked away thinking you were mad at dacentec and i didn't care enough to parse out the details.
    something to consider, or not.

regardless, glad you had a good experience with them, kudos dacentec.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

@atmwebhost said:
    Good

Why nacroposting.

Oh, you are same guy who wanted new website from LET, anyways, tell us then why OP in this post upgraded his Ryzen 3900x when it was working fine ?

• @atmwebhost said:
    Good

If you're going to necropost, try to do much better than "Good"

But don't necropost

Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.