Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fiskea - Aggregator of providers and their offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fiskea - Aggregator of providers and their offers

fiskeafiskea Member

Hello!

You probably know how difficult it is to choose providers and their offers among the great number of options. Especially if you have specific requirements. Common search engines are not very useful in this situation. That is why we created ​Fiskea​​​. We aggregate information about providers and their offers so that you can find a solution that will meet all your requirements.

fiskea.com​​​

Thanked by 2O0ooo darkenergy

Comments

• edited May 2022

Quick to spam, eh?
    Joined, crapped and likely left?

GG

P.S. - ServerHunter is a far more superior platform than yours.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Quick to spam, eh?

GG

I don't consider it SPAM, it may be useful, there can be other alternatives to ServerHunter.

The UI is super ugly though.

• fiskeafiskea Member

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Quick to spam, eh?

GG

They have been around for more than four years and have come a long way in that time. We just started our own.

@MikePT said:

@NobodyInteresting said:
    Quick to spam, eh?

GG

I don't consider it SPAM, it may be useful, there can be other alternatives to ServerHunter.

The UI is super ugly though.

Well. Tastes differ. We tried to make the UI as simple as possible. However, we are grateful for your feedback. We will improve it.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

Good Things About UI:

• Simple and Eligent.
    • Unique
    • Lots of Options to filter
    • Search Filter Response is Quick ( actually snappy ).

Tech Stack Used:

• Simple HTML
    • Simple CSS
    • Framework to generate Simple HTML Elements.
    • Long Details Object about each item in response received ( generally found in complex projects ).
    • Nginx as web server and reverse proxy.

Hosting Info:

• Hosted in Iceland.
    • Using 5 DNS.
    • Dedicated IP.
  • fiskeafiskea Member

@devp said:

Good Things About UI:

• Simple and Eligent.
    • Unique
    • Lots of Options to filter
    • Search Filter Response is Quick ( actually snappy ).

Tech Stack Used:

• Simple HTML
    • Simple CSS
    • Framework to generate Simple HTML Elements.
    • Long Details Object about each item in response received ( generally found in complex projects ).
    • Nginx as web server and reverse proxy.

Hosting Info:

• Hosted in Iceland.
    • Using 5 DNS.
    • Dedicated IP.

Thank you for your positive feedback. We stick to simplicity not only in UI but also in Front-End and Back-End. Also we do not use cookies and analytics (At least for now. However, even if we do, we will use self-hosted analytics). If you have any suggestions we will be glad to hear them.

• devpdevp Member
    edited May 2022

@fiskea said: We stick to simplicity not only in UI but also in Front-End and Back-End.

Agreed.

@fiskea said: Also we do not use cookies and analytics (At least for now. However, even if we do, we will use self-hosted analytics). If you have any suggestions we will be glad to hear them.

Use best practices to include analytics scripts rather than including them in the head section.
    Including more scripts in head section significantly slows down initial page loads.

Website UI is using dynamic layout where request is asynchronously fetched from server after initial UI is loaded and when search filter button is clicked.For being dynamic UI load you have to create your own strategy of how to analyse data being sent at frontend from backend.

A possible solutions is to adapt to a custom data analytics solutions for both frontend and backend and then integrate those data points and project a complete picture of user journey and other behavioural analytics.

• the first entry you see has a typo in it

Thanked by 1devp
  • devpdevp Member

@dane_doherty said:
    the first entry you see has a typo in it

They are manually gathering data and putting in a database and then custom data objects are created which are send to frontend.

• fiskeafiskea Member

@dane_doherty said:
    the first entry you see has a typo in it

Thank you for noticing. Already fixed.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@fiskea

I have no problems with your design except for not well separated options. Where I do see problems is nonsensical units, lacking (or I didn't see it in the crammed options list) option to sort by price (guess by what many on LET want to sort), and, so it seems, way too few providers.
    Re 'units': Frequency in GHz; MHz would be better and also easier/less error prone to parse for you. Memory in MB while 90+% of people look for min 1 GB.

• fiskeafiskea Member
    edited May 2022

Mod edit (angstrom): [...]

@jsg said:
    @fiskea

I have no problems with your design except for not well separated options. Where I do see problems is nonsensical units, lacking (or I didn't see it in the crammed options list) option to sort by price (guess by what many on LET want to sort), and, so it seems, way too few providers.
    Re 'units': Frequency in GHz; MHz would be better and also easier/less error prone to parse for you. Memory in MB while 90+% of people look for min 1 GB.

Thank you for your feedback. We will take into account these comments. We intend to add several units. So that users themselves could choose convenient for them. We have the ability to filter by price. It is in the end of "SORT BY".

• devpdevp Member

@fiskea
    Good Wishes for your service success.

• afnafn Member
    edited May 2022

Looks like an XKCD comics (and XKCD comics are a bad thing). I appreciate the simple UI, but this is oversimplified. add some shades of grey to makes things easier to distinguish.

Also, the filters have no alignement or any thing, like you just threw a bunch of rectangles (with circular edges) there, wherever they fit.
    Would be nice to separate them, align them, etc.

As for location dropdown. My ergonomics teacher at university would have failed you the course for what you did there (and what you did addnl info). Put sth to indicate I should expect a dropdown (an arrow!), also make a dropdown with some search and/or some scroll down. Nobody wants to scroll down a list of 192 countries. Also how do I know if the list of locations is over or not? when I opened it, I saw a list of few countries without scrollbar, I expected these to be all the countries you have, while playing around, I scrolled with my mouse inside that dropdown, and to my surprise there were more countries.

For addnl info, these are checkboxes, not radio buttons since there can be multiple options. Don't try to be Apple. Web has conventions follow them. Don't try to make sth different (and bad) and make it a trend like Apple.

At first, I was shocked for seeing people calling your website "ugly", after I visited it it, I figured why, and it is non-intuitive, dumped down (not simplified- there is a difference), and anti-ergonomics. There are are good elements tho, but they are shadowed by these negative ones.

Frequency, you know the world is not only the USA (or Eu, if you are from EU). if I want 2200 MHz, should I write 2.2 or 2,2? Since you are using USD so I am assuming it's . like Americans do, but put some placeholder text ! (placeholder in html exists to give example of text, not to write "from and to"!

"Cores from ## - ## to numbers", does not make sense
    You don't say "I want cores 4-8 numbers"
    just make it "min number of cores ## up to ##" or sth more natural and more human

Win Server, and linux are not "software" they are operating systems

Add sorting, specially by price

• babuumbabuum Member

Please add a filter to exclude certain networks. I don't need 500 OVH or Hetzner resellers in the list.

Thanked by 1szymonp
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@fiskea : Thanks for sharing your useful aggregator with us

Though no fault of yours, I'm closing the thread for the time being because it's getting out of control

Thanked by 2zed darkenergy
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

The thread is reopened after a ruthless clean-up

People, please show @fiskea some respect by staying on-topic

Constructive comments and questions about his aggregator are welcome

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@angstrom said:

nein hoots?

• @angstrom said:

Sorry mate but you gotta chill out. Off topic bullshit will fizzle out over time. Relax. Don't moderate with an iron fist.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said: Sorry mate but you gotta chill out. Off topic bullshit will fizzle out over time. Relax. Don't moderate with an iron fist.

hoots!

• szymonpszymonp Member

@babuum said:
    Please add a filter to exclude certain networks. I don't need 500 OVH or Hetzner resellers in the list.

Exactly, OVH gives me captacha on google, useless for VPN.

• fiskeafiskea Member

@afn said:
    Looks like an XKCD comics (and XKCD comics are a bad thing). I appreciate the simple UI, but this is oversimplified. add some shades of grey to makes things easier to distinguish.

Also, the filters have no alignement or any thing, like you just threw a bunch of rectangles (with circular edges) there, wherever they fit.
    Would be nice to separate them, align them, etc.

As for location dropdown. My ergonomics teacher at university would have failed you the course for what you did there (and what you did addnl info). Put sth to indicate I should expect a dropdown (an arrow!), also make a dropdown with some search and/or some scroll down. Nobody wants to scroll down a list of 192 countries. Also how do I know if the list of locations is over or not? when I opened it, I saw a list of few countries without scrollbar, I expected these to be all the countries you have, while playing around, I scrolled with my mouse inside that dropdown, and to my surprise there were more countries.

For addnl info, these are checkboxes, not radio buttons since there can be multiple options. Don't try to be Apple. Web has conventions follow them. Don't try to make sth different (and bad) and make it a trend like Apple.

At first, I was shocked for seeing people calling your website "ugly", after I visited it it, I figured why, and it is non-intuitive, dumped down (not simplified- there is a difference), and anti-ergonomics. There are are good elements tho, but they are shadowed by these negative ones.

Frequency, you know the world is not only the USA (or Eu, if you are from EU). if I want 2200 MHz, should I write 2.2 or 2,2? Since you are using USD so I am assuming it's . like Americans do, but put some placeholder text ! (placeholder in html exists to give example of text, not to write "from and to"!

"Cores from ## - ## to numbers", does not make sense
    You don't say "I want cores 4-8 numbers"
    just make it "min number of cores ## up to ##" or sth more natural and more human

Win Server, and linux are not "software" they are operating systems

Add sorting, specially by price

Thank you for your constructive and reasoned feedback. We really appreciate it.

1. We have considered several options for the arrangement of filters. And we came to the conclusion that this is the most optimal option. Although not without drawbacks. The side menu of filters, although it looks better, is not very convenient.
    2. We accept your arguments and will make changes in the near future.
    3. Yes, perhaps you are right and the use of circles was a mistake misleading users. We will replace it with more suitable ones.
    4. If you enter text in these fields that does not fit, it will change color to red. since you are not the only one who pointed out that the use of GHz is inconvenient, we will soon switch to measuring in MHz
    5. Still, we agree with you. Initially they were separated but then we combined them because Operating Systems are system software.
    6. There is "SORT BY" filter. Where there are all the necessary types of sorting.

@szymonp said:

@babuum said:

It is a good idea. It will take some time.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

@angstrom said:

nazi vibes between you and the old guy, kill the culture of this forum and you'll kill the forum.

there's like a 1:1 ratio of moderators to users now, corny.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Seriously, @Nekki, the "sounds like fist ya" jokes are just there for the taking.

• @szymonp said:

@babuum said:

If you keep the same session with Google, CAPTCHAs will disappear over time.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    Seriously, @Nekki, the "sounds like fist ya" jokes are just there for the taking.

hoots?

• @SirFoxy said:

Agreed, noticed a bunch of new mods. Not sure we really need so many.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@LiliLabs said: Agreed, noticed a bunch of new mods. Not sure we really need so many.

Often we don't, but when we do, we really do.

Thanked by 2OhJohn mrTom
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@LiliLabs said:

@SirFoxy said:

Agreed, noticed a bunch of new mods. Not sure we really need so many.

How would you have even the slightest idea how many mods are needed? You don’t know their respective time zones, the time commitment they can make to moderating the or any other details.

You should retract that thoughtless question promptly before you get a ban.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • O0oooO0ooo Member

:# Great.