Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVBackup closes - files removed July 31 - Exavault says "use rsync.net"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EVBackup closes - files removed July 31 - Exavault says "use rsync.net"

rsync_dot_netrsync_dot_net Member, Host Rep

Exavault just announced that they are shuttering their EVBackup service which was kind-of-sort-of a clone of rsync.net:

"The EVBackup service will shut down on July 31, 2022. All accounts will be closed, and all files will be removed from the EVBackup servers at that time. *We’re sorry for the
hassle this causes in finding a replacement service."

This was nice of them:

"As you look for alternative services, consider rsync.net. They offer a similar service at an affordable price."

Comments

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@rsync_dot_net said:
    Exavault just announced that they are shuttering their EVBackup service which was kind-of-sort-of a clone of rsync.net:

"The EVBackup service will shut down on July 31, 2022. All accounts will be closed, and all files will be removed from the EVBackup servers at that time. *We’re sorry for the

This was nice of them:

"As you look for alternative services, consider rsync.net. They offer a similar service at an affordable price."

Do you have a link for these quotes?

• @angstrom said:

@rsync_dot_net said:

This was nice of them:

Seems like it was an e-mail? Found someone posting about it on HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31217801

Thanked by 1angstrom

@MallocVoidstar said:

@angstrom said:

@rsync_dot_net said:

This was nice of them:

Seems like it was an e-mail? Found someone posting about it on HN: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31217801

I see

I couldn't quickly find the announcement on Exavault's web site

In general, it's good to give the source of quotes. (This is meant for the OP and not for you :) )

• I’m a long-term (~14 years) customer of both rsync.net and EVBackup—as well as, at various times, FilesAnywhere, iBackup, Amazon S3, SpiderOak, and Backblaze.

To the point from @angstrom - I can confirm that I received an email from EVBackup on 29 April 2022, the content of which I have reproduced below my post.

I felt the posts on the EVBackup and ExaVault sites, as well as on Files.com, made it somewhat unclear what the migration plan is (if any). Subsequent communication with the EVBackup support team clarified that ExaVault customers will be offered migration to [presumably similar] services through Files.com, and that EVBackup customers will be given information on what services are available through Files.com.

EVBackup’s offering and price point are more similar to those of rsync.net than to those of ExaVault or Files.com. Put another way, EVBackup seemed a somewhat lower-end version of ExaVault, from both pricing and technical perspectives, as well as a lower-end version of rsync.net, from a technical perspective. As of today, ExaVault’s lowest pricing is 12 times that of EVBackup’s in actual dollars, and almost 5 times that of ExaVault in price per storage unit. Files.com does not offer pricing information without requesting a quote, leading me to believe it is probably closer to ExaVault pricing, if not more.

Interesting twist: I first discovered EVBackup shortly after I became an rsync.net customer. In an email discussion with the founder of rsync.net, I had asked him to suggest possible competitors which could serve as a secondary vendor for purposes of redundancy. He gave several helpful ideas, among which included a mention (though not an endorsement) of EVBackup.

Comparing the two vendors, I’ve always had more confidence in rsync.net’s technical acumen, level of technical support, and general communication. I also find EVBackup’s change in direction understandable, but regrettable, especially that they gave only three months’ notice before destroying data, and that they are not offering anything close to a similar price point.

That said, I have had few complaints with EVBackup’s service over the years; they were just not quite as reliable and not nearly as transparent when issues came up, as compared to rsync.net.

I hope my opinions are of use to someone!

– Tom K

---Begin quoted email from EVBackup---

ExaVault, the provider of the EVBackup service, recently joined forces with Files.com to create the world’s largest company focused exclusively on cloud native SaaS Managed File Transfer. You can find more details about the acquisition on our blog post as well as over on the Files.com blog.

As part of this transition, we made the decision to shut down the EVBackup service. We’ve been proud to offer this self-service backup option, but it no longer fits into our portfolio of service offerings.

The EVBackup service will shut down on July 31, 2022. All accounts will be closed, and all files will be removed from the EVBackup servers at that time. We’re sorry for the hassle this causes in finding a replacement service.

We have turned off all invoice renewals, and you will not receive any additional charges from us during this transition period.

As you look for alternative services, consider rsync.net. They offer a similar service at an affordable price.

If you currently use FTP or SFTP as the transfer protocol for moving files to EVBackup, you can try out our full-featured Files.com service. Files.com is a great choice if you have high transfer volume, a need for automated workflows, or are interested in automated syncing capabilities. If you are interested in this option, email us and we’ll connect you with an account executive to discuss your options.

It has been a pleasure to serve you over the years. If you have additional questions, please reply back by email or contact us by phone at 1-510-500-0245 x2.

Sincerely,

The ExaVault Team

---End quoted email from EVBackup---

Thanked by 3angstrom zed MikePT

@tkermode : Thanks for sharing your experience and giving more context

Thanked by 1tkermode
  • rsync_dot_netrsync_dot_net Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2022

@tkermode said:
    Comparing the two vendors, I’ve always had more confidence in rsync.net’s technical acumen, level of technical support, and general communication. I also find EVBackup’s change in direction understandable, but regrettable, especially that they gave only three months’ notice before destroying data, and that they are not offering anything close to a similar price point.

Thanks for your kind words - appreciated!

Thanked by 1tkermode