Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[LF] Someone to optimize a wordpress site.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[LF] Someone to optimize a wordpress site.

armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

As title says, i have a wordpress website for a client.

The wordpress site is running in these specs:
4 cores CPU[shared],
4 GB RAM,
4TB Bandwidth,
1GB network... etc etc.

Now the site is using woocommerce and has plenty of products online. I have tried my best to optimize it but appearntly i am failing and the site takes so many seconds to load. Client has been complaining.

I will give the website link to anyone interested and that thinks that they might optimize code or something that is really slowing it down so much.

Paid job ofcourse, let me know here or through PM so i can send link.

Comments

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider

Send through the link, happy to take a look for you :-)

What web server is in use as well would be helpful.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@speedypage said:
    Send through the link, happy to take a look for you :-)

What web server is in use as well would be helpful.

Sent :)

• Have you optimized the images from WooCommerce store if any? If not try ShortPixel :)
    Also make sure you use caching.

Thanked by 1ehab

@Ympker said:
    Have you optimized the images from WooCommerce store if any? If not try ShortPixel :)

Yeah all images of products and overall in entire site are optimized at my best mate.. Shortpixel is something i'm not aware of though.

Also using cloudflare + wp cache.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2022

@armandorg said:

@Ympker said:
    Have you optimized the images from WooCommerce store if any? If not try ShortPixel :)

Yeah all images of products and overall in entire site are optimized at my best mate.. Shortpixel is something i'm not aware of though.

Also using cloudflare + wp cache.

Which plugin/tool did you use for image optimization? If you haven't used any give Shortpixel a try, it's like magic :)

https://wordpress.org/plugins/shortpixel-image-optimiser/

100 pic/mo free but you can also purchase one time credits :)

I currently don't have capacity for another client project to take on but feel free to pm me your site and if I see smth that sticks out I'll let you know, mate!

You can also try cleaning up your db using WP Optimize: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-optimize/

Remember to take backups before you try anything ;)

edited April 2022

It's TTFB related, all files load fast and fine once the web server actually responds to the initial request. Hard to really diagnose past that, it's either a slow server or an incredibly bloated site. I'd like to see it running on a server with LSCache + LiteSpeed - I'm fairly confident with the caching it'd be drastically faster unless the server itself is terrible.

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited April 2022

@armandorg said:
    The wordpress site is running in these specs:
    4 cores CPU[shared],
    4 GB RAM,
    4TB Bandwidth,
    1GB network... etc etc.

These specs don't matter if these are from a Shared Hosting provider. Move to a Managed VPS. Or, use a 2C/4C 4G VPS from one of the big VPS providers, and use RunCloud or install a free stable control panel.
    Those 4 cores from one provider could be worse than 1 core from another.
    Also, you didn't mention the Disk I/O and IOPS limits for that account, which can also be the bottleneck here.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2022

@speedypage said:
    It's TTFB related, all files load fast and fine once the web server actually responds to the initial request. Hard to really diagnose past that, it's either a slow server or an incredibly bloated site. I'd like to see it running on a server with LSCache + LiteSpeed - I'm fairly confident with the caching it'd be drastically faster unless the server itself is terrible.

Now, this is just another trial&error thing, but I've made the experience that a good shared hosting often performs better than a (badly optimized) vps. Have you tried cloning your site onto a performant shared hosting (e.g. Hostmantis, Brixly, Ramnode, Kinsta, MyW) for comparison?

Regarding LSCache+Litespeed: one of the things most good shared hosting services have by default. A vps with 4 vCorey 4GB RAM and 1 Gbits may sound nice, but a good shared host can outperform that easily.

Thanked by 1speedypage

@Ympker said:

@speedypage said:

Now, this is just another trial&error thing, but I've made the experience that a good shared hosting often performs better than a (badly optimized) vps. Have you tried cloning your site onto a performant shared hosting (e.g. Hostmantis, Brixly, Ramnode, Kinsta, MyW) for comparison?

Regarding LSCache+Litespeed: one of the things most good shared hosting services have by default. A vps with 4 vCorey 4GB RAM and 1 Gbits may sound nice, but a good shared host can outperform that easily.

👏👏👏

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Woocommerce tends to get very resource hungry as it grow and with more addons you plug into it. Simple caching may not affect much if most of the users browsing are logged-in users which is generally case with busy eCommerce websites.Although already plenty of nice people have offered assistance, if you want, can look into it.

• sandozsandoz Veteran

I need to ask. Why using WooCommerce? Instead using a focused CMS for selling?

Prestashop
    Opencart
    Magento
    Shopify

Those are better. I know what you will say..
    But but... WordPress have many free plugins available.

That is one of causes of big and slowest website behind other causes.

You need to install WordPress + WooCommerce + Tons of plugins... When some of CMS for selling have native functions installed by default.

That is the difference between WooCommerce rather than Opencart, PrestaShop, Magento...

WooCommerce is great? Sure for small companies... When you get bigger you start having headaches and you know why.

• HxxxHxxx Member
    edited April 2022

Woocommerce is the leader, based on the statistics around in the web. Search those.
    Shopify comes second. But Shopify shouldn't even be in the conversation since is a SaaS, you don't own the software.

As an eCommerce implementator and developer, I vouch for WooCommerce.
    Every eCommerce software has it pros and cons.
    WooCommerce is super easy for shop owners to manage. You want that experience.

Performance problems are usually solved by making the right choices:
    -Professional and Optimized template.
    -Less plugins is good.
    -A solid hosting provider. Usually cheap is bad. You want as much as resources as possible. Use a Wordpress/ Woocommerce optimized hosting. Semi-dedicated shared hosting, VPS and Dedicated servers are usually a good choice.
    -Use a CDN. Paid Cloudflare and proper configuration really accelerates delivery over slow networks.
    -Optimize Images.
    -Security.
    -Cache. W3 Total Cache plugin is really good if you want many options. Others are available.

• Do you activated cache rules on Cloudflare? If you use Cloudflare network or CF plugin as is, you might not benefitted from edge cache.

I'm also interested to inspect the site as well.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

As a quick hack you could try bunnycdn the Wordpress plugin is quite smart without changing lots but you may have to remove cloud flare proxy, in past experience bunny can delivery much faster than cloud flare

• since it's bloated
    high performance vps
    is more precise
    .. etc as above

• @armandorg Have you tried:
    1. Setting up a staging copy of the site.
    2. Turning off all plugins.
    3. Check if speed issue is resolved.
    3A. If speed issue is resolved -> proceed by enabling plugins one by one and testing speed after each one is enabled until you find the culprit.
    3B. If speed issue not resolved -> Switch to a default theme or Storefront https://woocommerce.com/products/storefront-/ and check if speed issue is fixed.
    4. If previous steps didn't uncover the issue then general issues could be:
    4A. Check error logs for errors. Check log files for its size and rotate if multigig files.
    4B. Check database size and reduce post revisions and options table if indeed it grew to be a huge db (optimize plugin can cleanup old revisions).
    4C. Try xdebug profiler (ofc on the staging or local copy).

Caching is not the full answer to your problem, that long TTFB means it took a lot of time to process the code (so highly likely a garbage plugin(s) is doing that).

Thank you everyone for the PM's and replies with the suggestions. Also some PM's i still haven't responded yet to provide more info is due to me trying to fix this myself with some tests recommended here.

Currently disabled my wp-cache and installed wp-optimize from @Ympker recommendation. Updated a few plugins which were not updated and somehow it made some conflicts/error in the site which i'm currently looking with my host.

As soon as the website is properly working i will again test all plugins/theme by disabling them and re-enabling. @Kassem

If things still don't go the way i expect them i will try a different managed wordpress hosting or other VPS for testing purposes to see if it's the provider.

Thank you again!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@armandorg said:
    Thank you everyone for the PM's and replies with the suggestions. Also some PM's i still haven't responded yet to provide more info is due to me trying to fix this myself with some tests recommended here.

Currently disabled my wp-cache and installed wp-optimize from @Ympker recommendation. Updated a few plugins which were not updated and somehow it made some conflicts/error in the site which i'm currently looking with my host.

As soon as the website is properly working i will again test all plugins/theme by disabling them and re-enabling. @Kassem

If things still don't go the way i expect them i will try a different managed wordpress hosting or other VPS for testing purposes to see if it's the provider.

Thank you again!

Good that you are at it :) Good luck! Also, cloning the site onto another host should be just 2-3 clicks (smth like AIO wp migration or manage wp, jetpack for migration). Wouldn't that be a pretty fast way to check if it's due to hosting? I mean, just get an hourly paid vps, or a good (managed) wp hosting with 14/30 day refund guarantee :D