Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for small idlers in London
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for small idlers in London

brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

I'm looking for a bunch of cheap but decent idlers hosted in (or around) London, UK. I already have a number of services on Clouvider's network so I'm looking to add some others. Also, I'm not interested in services hosted on OVH's network.

Specs:
1 CPU
512 MB RAM
~10 GB SSD
200 GB Traffic/mo
~15 USD / year for 1 IPv4, /64 IPv6
~10 USD / year for /64 IPv6

Please provide a test IP or looking glass with your offers.
Thanks!

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Formally registering interest in this thread.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • emghemgh Member

Have you checked out the ExtraVM offers located in the OVH London facility?

• speedypagespeedypage Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2022

Hey @brueggus -

We can do this in Wolverhampton if that'd be of interest for $15 USD per year, it's about 4ms from London and our hardware/network is fully owned in-house. 1x IPv4 & 1x /64 IPv6 is included with all plans.

3.2Ghz base clock, DDR4 RAM and of course DDoS Protected. You can find more about our products here: https://speedypage.com/vps

Just send me a PM if interested, as this is a custom offer and will need to be manually deployed.

Thanked by 2brueggus Carlin0
  • @emgh said:

Also, I'm not interested in services hosted on OVH's network.

There's HostHatch (m247) in London, might be able to ask for a transfer from someone with one of their deals.

• emghemgh Member

@LiliLabs said:

@emgh said:

Also, I'm not interested in services hosted on OVH's network.

There's HostHatch (m247) in London, might be able to ask for a transfer from someone with one of their deals.

Got you.

Thanked by 1fluffernutter

@speedypage said:
    Hey @brueggus -

We can do this in Wolverhampton if that'd be of interest for $15 USD per year, it's about 4ms from London and our hardware/network is fully owned in-house. 1x IPv4 & 1x /64 IPv6 is included with all plans.

3.2Ghz base clock, DDR4 RAM and of course DDoS Protected. You can find more about our products here: https://speedypage.com/vps

Just send me a PM if interested, as this is a custom offer and will need to be manually deployed.

I had a couple people ask for this via DM's, here's a public offer link with 10 in stock:

https://my.speedypage.com/store/virtual-servers/let-custom-512mb

Thanked by 2Carlin0 darkenergy
  • brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@speedypage said: I had a couple people ask for this via DM's, here's a public offer link with 10 in stock:

Ordered - thanks for the offer!

Thanked by 1speedypage
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@speedypage said:

@speedypage said:
    Hey @brueggus -

I had a couple people ask for this via DM's, here's a public offer link with 10 in stock:

https://my.speedypage.com/store/virtual-servers/let-custom-512mb

I’ll bite, don’t fucking let me down.

Thanked by 1speedypage
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

$15 for 512MB RAM is too much.
    Needs to go lower.

I have 1GB RAM with IPv4+IPv6 at $16 (SpartanHost Seattle) and $8.40 (Nexril Dallas) and €12 (Webhosting24 Munich).
    London is not Singapore so it doesn't justify higher price.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@yoursunny said:
    Needs to go lower.

I have 1GB RAM with IPv4+IPv6 at $16 (SpartanHost Seattle) and $8.40 (Nexril Dallas) and €12 (Webhosting24 Munich).

Yet people are buying, ergo, suck it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

For any providers considering making offers, I will buy anything @brueggus buys.

Thanked by 1brueggus
    edited April 2022

Psst, I'll sell you a super expensive VPS then refund you when Nekki buys it. Deal!? :D @brueggus

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

@speedypage said:
    Psst, I'll sell you a super expensive VPS then refund you when Nekki buys it. Deal!? :D @brueggus

:smiley:

Nah, I rather don't mess with @Nekki.

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited April 2022

@brueggus said:

@speedypage said:

Reminds me of...

@Nekki, it's a "must watch"!

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • @yoursunny said:
    Needs to go lower.

You're right too, but all in all the offer is not bad

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MS said:

@brueggus said:

@speedypage said:

Reminds me of...

@Nekki, it's a "must watch"!

Used to be a big Sandler fan, Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore particularly. Not so much a fan of his later work.

• _MS__MS_ Member

@Nekki said: Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore

@Nekki said: later work

Yea, average to below average work in the 2010s until Uncut Gems (2019), which was great. The Cobbler (2014) was good (written and directed by an Oscar winner), and Blended (2014) as well.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

MS said:

@Nekki said: Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore

@Nekki said: later work

Yea, average to below average work in the 2010s until Uncut Gems (2019), which was great. The Cobbler (2014) was good (written and directed by an Oscar winner), and Blended (2014) as well.

I must watch Uncut Gems, completely forgot about it.

Thanked by 1_MS_
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited April 2022

@yoursunny said:
    Needs to go lower.

Servers in the UK seem to be more expensive than elsewhere in Europe from what I can tell. $15/year for 512MB is a pretty standard lowend deal that you'd see ocasionally, and going much lower requires you to give up ram and grab a cheap OpenVZ or something.

Swap to anywhere else in Europe (Even neighbouring FR and NL) and you'll find plenty of cheaper deals.

Of course London/UK is not on the level of Singapore, but yeah, it is what it is. I don't know why it costs more, just that it does.

@speedypage said: We can do this in Wolverhampton if that'd be of interest for $15 USD per year, it's about 4ms from London and our hardware/network is fully owned in-house. 1x IPv4 & 1x /64 IPv6 is included with all plans.

Do you have a looking glass or test IP for your UK location(s)? I would like a small UK box too but it needs to have a good network or there's no point in me bothering.

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited April 2022

@Erisa said:

@speedypage said: We can do this in Wolverhampton if that'd be of interest for $15 USD per year, it's about 4ms from London and our hardware/network is fully owned in-house. 1x IPv4 & 1x /64 IPv6 is included with all plans.

Do you have a looking glass or test IP for your UK location(s)? I would like a small UK box too but it needs to have a good network or there's no point in me bothering.

Probably this for Wolverhampton?

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited April 2022

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Erisa said:

Probably this?

Looks good, cheers! I had done a surface-level attempt at finding it but gave up when I couldn't find it after a while.

• centrixxcentrixx Member
    edited April 2022

@Erisa said: Servers in the UK seem to be more expensive than elsewhere in Europe from what I can tell.

You don't say, UK is a tiny country, they gotta pay for their overpriced healthcare system, and to push their agendas (rainbow RedHat employees).

@Erisa said:

@JeDaYoshi said:

@Erisa said:

Probably this?

Looks good, cheers! I had done a surface-level attempt at finding it but gave up when I couldn't find it after a while.

Sorry it wasn't immediately clear, Erisa!

We just launched the new website and are ironing out small things like this, I've made a note to add it to the knowledgebase as well as make it more apparent on the About Us page.

Just let me know if you have any other questions :-)

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Where are the fucking offers?

• @Nekki said:

You're in the fucking UK, why don't you just get a server rack and leave everything in your LAN? You will save a lot in the long-run...

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@centrixx said:

@Nekki said:

You're in the fucking UK, why don't you just get a server rack and leave everything in your LAN? You will save a lot in the long-run...

That’s way too much upfront cost and effort plus where am I going put the damn rack? The missus would have a meltdown.

edited April 2022

@Nekki said:

@centrixx said:

@Nekki said:

That’s way too much upfront cost and effort plus where am I going put the damn rack? The missus would have a meltdown.

Upfront cost? 200 pounds is expensive? A 25U rack is very small, trust me. As for networking switches, avoid Cisco/MikroTik, they're garbage, you want Aruba (ProCurve) + a *nix x86 router.

nftables is very hard to use, using iptables is a lot easier, too, I should add. Avoid VyOS like the plague, it's harder to do basic OpenVPN setups with it, now (forced cert auth, no more username/password auth).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@centrixx said:

@Nekki said:

@centrixx said:

@Nekki said:

Upfront cost? 200 pounds is expensive? A 25U rack is very small, trust me. As for networking switches, avoid Cisco/MikroTik, they're garbage, you want Aruba (ProCurve) + a *nix x86 router.

nftables is very hard to use, using iptables is a lot easier, too, I should add. Avoid VyOS like the plague, it's harder to do basic OpenVPN setups with it, now (forced cert auth, no more username/password auth).

£200 gets me an Egret II Mini, so priorities.

edited April 2022

Your router should be a no-bullshit router, so ideally NetBSD/Devuan, with the SSHd configured to only allow connections within your LAN (bind address, erh). You don't want a modern system, you want a Pentium 3, so get a DL360 G1/one of those earlier Dell PowerEdge servers. It can handle 100mbit + 1gbit routing just fine (offload routing within your LAN to the L4 switch).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@centrixx said:
    Your router should be a no-bullshit router, so ideally NetBSD/Devuan, with the SSHd configured to only allow connections within your LAN (bind address, erh). You don't want a modern system, you want a Pentium 3, so get a DL360 G1/one of those earlier Dell PowerEdge servers. It can handle 100mbit + 1gbit routing just fine (offload routing within your LAN to the L4 switch).

None of this is happening. I don’t have the time, the space or money to dedicate to a project like this. I’m OK paying £50 a year for a few random UK idlers.