Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE tunnel between two data centres to be used as VPS - What issues could there be?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GRE tunnel between two data centres to be used as VPS - What issues could there be?

HarmonyHarmony Member

This thread is an example

https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/156850/howto-tunnel-ddos-protected-ovh-ip-to-vms-in-other-datacenter

With the correct iptables set for MTU

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu

What issues could there be for doing this between two data centers? Other than the obvious slight increase in latency, double risk of downtime and higher bandwidth consumption.

I've read it will cause issues if you install a VPN on the Hetzner VPS side? Is there any work arounds if true.

Comments

• There is no encryption in GRE tunnel so your data is not secure.

• That's the only other downside? Can't find much else

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@Harmony said:
    That's the only other downside? Can't find much else

From my experience I know that both Voxility and OVH [GAME or Standard] detect GRE tunneling as a form of attack and drastically limit bandwidth (this is not the kind of notification that you would be attacked but there is still a limitation).
    With tunnel including OVH level Germany - France we had this limitation and from one gigabyte per second we sometimes go down to 50 when we try to download a large file through the tunnel

• @Harmony said:
    That's the only other downside? Can't find much else

You're introducing a second point of failure?

• GRE is totally unencrypted. Configuring IPSec correctly could be difficult, so use wireguard instead.