Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedispec and KVM over IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedispec and KVM over IP

I recently bought @Dedispec 's Easter deals and I was setting up, during the setup process, unfortunately, I screw up a little and had to request a KVM session, waited a while to get attached, and I discovered that my network speed goes down dramatically, from 1Gbps to 100 Mbps.
After some research, this issue seems to exist prior to 2018 till now. What my curiosity is 2018 to 2022, 5 years passed, and nothing seems to be changed, maybe they didn't figure out where the problem is? Or nobody told them. Hope they can improve as KVM detach needs time. Besides KVM, everything goes well.
From WHT:

Later I noticed when they attach the KVM my port turned down to 100Mbps (the second time I plugged the KVM). So they are probably just attaching it thru a fast-ethernet switch to my server -- but the slowdown was much muuuch bigger than even 100Mbps, so the KVM was not really the issue -- probably a broken switch at the first KVM.

Comments

• darbdarb Member

Well if they haven't figured it out over 5 years, I wouldn't keep holding my breath.  Perhaps the boot fits well on the other foot when placed in another persons rectum.  Without motivation, I suspect that it may take another 5 years to make any progress.  Immediately issue a conveyance of communication stating that your authority must be respected and resolved the matter with haste to the best of your knowledge.

• @darb said:
    Well if they haven't figured it out over 5 years, I wouldn't keep holding my breath.  Perhaps the boot fits well on the other foot when placed in another persons rectum.  Without motivation, I suspect that it may take another 5 years to make any progress.  Immediately issue a conveyance of communication stating that your authority must be respected and resolved the matter with haste to the best of your knowledge.

I just needs to be careful not to do something stupid with my server I guess. :D

• kendkend Member

So now your server only has a 0.1Gbps connection?

Thanked by 2jason5545 yongsiklee
  • @kend said:
    So now your server only has a 0.1Gbps connection?

When KVM is attached, yes, I had to use 100Mbps for few hours until it detached, honestly it's not ideal.

• I think Dedispec is reselling Nocix servers. I had a server there that could only push 50Mbps up, turns out they had rate limited the outgoing speed from a previous user. Once they cleared that I was back to full gig.

• @zorker said:
    I think Dedispec is reselling Nocix servers. I had a server there that could only push 50Mbps up, turns out they had rate limited the outgoing speed from a previous user. Once they cleared that I was back to full gig.

They are definitely related in some way but you don't know what's their exact relationship. But nocix/wholesaleinternet/dacentec/dedispec and probably many other brands are all in one datacenter. Some of them are probably resellers. Some of them could be the same company under a different brand and they use the same hardware and support.

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited April 2022

@zorker said:
    I think Dedispec is reselling Nocix servers. I had a server there that could only push 50Mbps up, turns out they had rate limited the outgoing speed from a previous user. Once they cleared that I was back to full gig.

I thought nocix is in Canada?
    EDIT: I'm wrong, they're also at KC.

@NoComment said:

@zorker said:

They are definitely related in some way but you don't know what's their exact relationship. But nocix/wholesaleinternet/dacentec/dedispec and probably many other brands are all in one datacenter. Some of them are probably resellers. Some of them could be the same company under a different brand and they use the same hardware and support.

According to @Dedispec at 2018 on WHT:

we actually have hardware in all three of our locations (one location is not listed on our site currently...we plan to introduce that soon though as a new available option for customers). Two of the locations are completely our own hardware now, including the racks, while the other is in the process still of shifting equipment which is split up.

But who knows? As we're not insiders.

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@jason5545 said: But who knows? As we're not insiders.

This!

Thanked by 2jason5545 yongsiklee
  • @jason5545 said: But who knows? As we're not insiders.

If you bought a server in kansas then it's the same datacenter as nocix/wholesaleinternet.

• DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider

@jason5545 said:
    I recently bought @Dedispec 's Easter deals and I was setting up, during the setup process, unfortunately, I screw up a little and had to request a KVM session, waited a while to get attached, and I discovered that my network speed goes down dramatically, from 1Gbps to 100 Mbps.
    After some research, this issue seems to exist prior to 2018 till now. What my curiosity is 2018 to 2022, 5 years passed, and nothing seems to be changed, maybe they didn't figure out where the problem is? Or nobody told them. Hope they can improve as KVM detach needs time. Besides KVM, everything goes well.
    From WHT:

Later I noticed when they attach the KVM my port turned down to 100Mbps (the second time I plugged the KVM). So they are probably just attaching it thru a fast-ethernet switch to my server -- but the slowdown was much muuuch bigger than even 100Mbps, so the KVM was not really the issue -- probably a broken switch at the first KVM.

Hi Jason,

My apologies if your ticket didn't provide you with great details/answers on this. If you want to DM me your ticket # I'm happy to dig further if needed.

The KVM units do limit to 100M, which is why you see those speeds. If the IP for the KVM is in use in the OS then the KVM will not work, this is why we leave the cascade unplugged unless you are positive the IP is not in use. If in the case you're confident the IP is not in use, we can leave the network attached. We also are happy to handle the OS install and any custom partitioning requirements for you if it's easier for you so you don't have to do the install, that's always an option as well.

Thanked by 2Not_Oles jason5545
  • jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited April 2022

@Dedispec said:

@jason5545 said:
    From WHT:

Hi Jason,

My apologies if your ticket didn't provide you with great details/answers on this. If you want to DM me your ticket # I'm happy to dig further if needed.

The KVM units do limit to 100M, which is why you see those speeds. If the IP for the KVM is in use in the OS then the KVM will not work, this is why we leave the cascade unplugged unless you are positive the IP is not in use. If in the case you're confident the IP is not in use, we can leave the network attached. We also are happy to handle the OS install and any custom partitioning requirements for you if it's easier for you so you don't have to do the install, that's always an option as well.

Actually, I didn't make a ticket as everything runs fine, this is more like a curiosity thing than an oh something goes wrong scenario, most people definitely just use KVM when they absolutely need to, just seeing someone mentioned at WHT with the same behavior, makes me wonder why, maybe next time I'll create ticket too. Thanks for your kind and detailed reply. I am happy with the server and as a dedispec client.

Best wishes

Thanked by 1Dedispec
  • kendkend Member

Actually I'm going to post a review thread on Dedispec if I would have time today. Things have been better than I expected.

Thanked by 2jason5545 Dedispec
  • @kend said:
    Actually I'm going to post a review thread on Dedispec if I would have time today. Things have been better than I expected.

Looking forward to your post.👍

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

@NoComment said:

@zorker said:

Just wanted to clarify that Dacentec operates out of our own data center located in Lenoir, North Carolina. Our 24/7/365 support team is our Datacenter staff. We are also not a reseller of any other provider nor do we operate under any other name.

This is certainly not a knock on resellers, just wanted to provide some clarification as it related to Dacentec. Resellers are very important to data centers and companies that the resellers operate out of. They often provide their own support, billing, management, etc.