Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can a modern website be working without JS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

can a modern website be working without JS?

frakassfrakass Member

I saw JS was everywhere these days, as well as all kinds of front frameworks.
so can a modern website work without JS?

Comments

• It really depends on what kind of website you want to build. Although CSS has come a long way these days, you may find it difficult to build things such as a dynamically activated modal/lightbox without JS.

• Short: Yes
    Long: The most common place where people use JS is in login, register forms. But ts possible to not use any JS on those. Also mobile navigation menu usually uses JS and some modal boxes But you can also create those without any JS, take a look at how bulma.io (a css framework) implements them with CSS only

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

Yeah obviously you can. Even amazon i believe can be working without JS completely fine last time i checked an article.

• For sure it can. CSS + HTML5 can be used for visual effects and creating elements' behavior. But keep in mind that Google Analytics and Facebook pixel and many other third party services use JS for obtaining data

• Simple site or a blog can work fine without JS but big websites like FB , Twitter , Google etc uses Ajax and JS to provide flowless user experience without refreshing the page also to monitor users behavior.

Thanked by 1CP_Hosting
  • mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Its a very vague question. Already @stevewatson301 and @vovler explained it. Your question should be more precise like what kind of website, what features you need.
    Remember there were days when flash player was awesome and now its nowhere. On the other hand, CSS has came a long way, there were thing those were not possible without JS are now native to html5.

• raviravi Member
    edited April 2022

Yes, you can.
    CSS and HTMl are much more powerful now. But it also has limitations.

It depends what feature you want to have on your website.

• Depends on what you are making. My simple personal site which is mostly just links to my social media pages uses no js and looks pretty nice with just css but that might not work for everyone

• devpdevp Member

@stevewatson301 said: It really depends on what kind of website you want to build. Although CSS has come a long way these days, you may find it difficult to build things such as a dynamically activated modal/lightbox without JS.

Lightbox shadows and borders stuff was available in websites dated 1999 and earlier but those were implemented by creating images using third party softwares and then carefully crafted into webpages.

Those developers were artists.

@vovler said:
    Short: Yes
    Long: The most common place where people use JS is in login, register forms. But ts possible to not use any JS on those. Also mobile navigation menu usually uses JS and some modal boxes But you can also create those without any JS, take a look at how bulma.io (a css framework) implements them with CSS only

Now lots of animations that were done using JS are implemented in CSS3 which is available in all modern browsers that keep them upto date to the latest specifications.

These animations and additional updates to CSS specifications make those animations and transitions available natively in browsers and can be implemented directly using CSS only.

Thanked by 1frakass
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

It depends on what you mean by modern. Modern in terms of time, modern in terms of design? Very possible to make a site in 'modern' times without JS though using JS can be super helpful to reduce repetitive tasks etc and eases up the designer work. Also it's easier I think (??? correct me if I am wrong) to use websockets / realtime features than without it in most cases. So yes but would you want to do without JS... maybe not?

Thanked by 1Mastodont
  • with the myriad of device sizes, form factors coupled with orientations & viewports, it is nearly impossible to do a a site without js iirc

• @kkrajk said:
    with the myriad of device sizes, form factors coupled with orientations & viewports, it is nearly impossible to do a a site without js iirc

well thats entirely css. doing those things with js will get you broken fingers by angry nerds

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Look at darknet sites, you'd be surprised what they manage to accomplish with plain HTML/CSS.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2022

I detest js, mostly because I never took the time to learn it properly and I getting too old to now given all I need it for. I can build a site perfectly fine with HTML/CSS and still have it perform very well.

Sure it would be easier with js as replicating some of what it can do for you using CSS takes a lot more code in some cases but is still possible.

Don't underestimate CSS these days, it is surprising just what it is capable of.

Thanked by 2frakass devp
  • I believe so, these days and ages it's basically possible. CSS and HTML All you need!

• @Not_Oles Good idea for a blog post?

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • pufferfpufferf Member

It should. If the site needs JS for basic functionality like deliver content it's not accesible and, depending on your jurisdiction, you can get fined.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • xTomxTom Member, Patron Provider

Yes, you can use many modern CSS framework like Bulma, no javascript required

https://bulma.io/documentation/overview/start/

• pufferfpufferf Member

This website ran by an accessibility consultant has great information about how HTML/CSS and JS should be done: https://cutcodedown.com/