Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup updates Cancellation Policy for Contract Periods
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup updates Cancellation Policy for Contract Periods

Netcup has updated their cancellation policy for end of contracts. Now, after the end of the contract, the product becomes monthly and can be cancelled anytime.

News: https://www.netcup-news.de/2022/04/08/neues-verbraucherschutzgesetz-zu-mindestvertragslaufzeit/

Good News for BF Sale Owners like me, who change to new servers every year on BF. No need to worry about the contract getting auto renewed.

Comments

• looks like i'll finally get something from them after all

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint JasonM
  • ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Good news finally

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • cececece Member

that is really nice!

• pbxpbx Member

Interesting move! Regarding the specials, long term contract wasn't really a problem in my opinion though, given that it's really easy to transfer services to another user, when not in need anymore it was possible to resell the server to somebody else. Not difficult if it was an interesting deal as many people look for these.

• CabbageCabbage Member
    edited April 2022

Just in time for their Easter egg hunt, nice. But how would the price be calculated? Say, there's a server with 12 month contract period and 12 month billing period. Would it be just 1/12th of the price one would usually pay, paid every month?

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2022

@Cabbage said: Say, there's a server with 12 month contract period and 12 month billing period. Would it be just 1/12th of the price one would usually pay, paid every month?

not quite. their text clarifies:

How does this work in concrete terms?
    Assume you have or buy a product with a minimum contract term of 12 months and a billing period of 6 months. In the 13th month you realize that you no longer need the product, you want to cancel it. You can do this via the CCP at the end of the 13th month. To do this, log in to the CCP.
    Under the menu item "Cancellation" you can see the earliest possible cancellation date via the dropdown. Set the desired termination date. Your termination is effective from the next possible desired date (in the example from the 14th month).
    The amount prepaid at the beginning of the 13th month for the next 6 months will now be refunded to you on a pro-rated basis of 5/6.

In order to arrange the refund, our accounting department will of course need your bank details. If you have not yet entered them in your master data, please let us know.

so the billing period will stay as it was before... you could have products already with 12 month contract but 3 or 6 month billing anyway.

they do this refunding stuff with their (hourly billed) vserver range already.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • Consumers who purchase a product after March 1st, 2022 can terminate their contract monthly after the minimum contract period of 12 to a maximum of 24 months.

Seems like existing contracts doesn't count?

• @pbx said:
    Interesting move! Regarding the specials, long term contract wasn't really a problem in my opinion though, given that it's really easy to transfer services to another user, when not in need anymore it was possible to resell the server to somebody else. Not difficult if it was an interesting deal as many people look for these.

Not really a "move" but rather forced upon them through legislation change.

Thanked by 2pbx sanvit
  • @sanvit said:

Consumers who purchase a product after March 1st, 2022 can terminate their contract monthly after the minimum contract period of 12 to a maximum of 24 months.

"Zudem können auch bereits bestehende Kunden von dieser neuen Regelung profitieren."

This means that existing customers can benefit from this new regulation, but it's not clear to me that this means it applies to all existing contracts. (So I'm not sure why they even write this.)

I've just checked my active services with them, and I don't see any option to cancel within the next month. All of mine have a cancelation date will into the future, as they always have.

So, I guess the answer to your question is yes, existing contracts aren't affected.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @Ympker said:

@pbx said:

Not really a "move" but rather forced upon them through legislation change.

Exactly.

It's sad that German law has to force companies to have sane policies regarding contract renewals, but so be it. Many German businesses like to be in a perpetual war with their customers.

Customer-friendly companies have already adopted these policies voluntarily.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Well glad the law was able to make this happen, mind you this should have been done years ago.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited April 2022

@aj_potc said:

@sanvit said:

Consumers who purchase a product after March 1st, 2022 can terminate their contract monthly after the minimum contract period of 12 to a maximum of 24 months.

"Zudem können auch bereits bestehende Kunden von dieser neuen Regelung profitieren."

This means that existing customers can benefit from this new regulation, but it's not clear to me that this means it applies to all existing contracts. (So I'm not sure why they even write this.)

I've just checked my active services with them, and I don't see any option to cancel within the next month. All of mine have a cancelation date will into the future, as they always have.

So, I guess the answer to your question is yes, existing contracts aren't affected.

I think that existing contracts are affected (because netcup say that they are), but not retroactively.

What this means is that once your current contract period ends, then you'll be able to cancel at any time one month in advance.

For example, I currently have a vServer whose 12-month contract ends in November (this contract was renewed this past November), and I can't cancel before this coming November, but after the next 12-month contract period begins, then I'll be able to cancel at any time one month in advance.

In any case, the crucial point is that netcup will still be able to sell services with an initial unbreakable 12-month contract period.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • @angstrom said:

I think that existing contracts are affected (because netcup say that they are), but not retroactively.

Well, they say that existing customers are covered by this regulation, but I don't see anything about the contracts specifically.

I suppose you can argue whether a renewal is a new contract term, or if only the original contract date is the one that matters for the purpose of this legislation. I'm not clear on what German law proscribes here, but I know that many companies are treating existing contracts the same as new ones (i.e., all of my subscription services that once renewed on a yearly basis are suddenly able to be canceled monthly, even though the original contracts were started years ago.)

What this means is that once your current contract period ends, then you'll be able to cancel at any time one month in advance.

That would make sense, and hopefully this is what will happen.

However, both of my contracts renewed very recently (after 1 March 2022), and yet I still don't have the option to cancel them on a monthly basis in the netcup control panel. Perhaps this hasn't been implemented yet.

@aj_potc said:

@angstrom said:

Well, they say that existing customers are covered by this regulation, but I don't see anything about the contracts specifically.

Indeed, netcup don't go into detail about existing services, so it's my interpretation of what netcup mean (and my interpretation may be mistaken).

However, both of my contracts renewed very recently (after 1 March 2022), and yet I still don't have the option to cancel them on a monthly basis in the netcup control panel. Perhaps this hasn't been implemented yet.

Again, just for clarity, here's my interpretation of the situation, taking a 12-month contract for a VPS as an example:

1. If you purchase a new service on or after 1 March 2022, then after the first unbreakable 12-month contract period, you'll be able to cancel the service at any time with one month's notice. (This is a clear case)
    2. If you purchased a service before 1 March 2022, then if you renew your contract for another 12 months, you'll only be able to cancel the service at any time with one month's notice after this renewed unbreakable 12-month period. (Admittedly, this is a less clear case)

Your ( @aj_potc 's ) case falls under 2 despite the fact that you renewed your service after 1 March 2022 for another 12 months (because it's a service that you originally purchased before 1 March 2022).

This is why I said that netcup aren't (or at least don't seem to be) applying the new law retroactively, because if they did this, then they would take your previous 12-month contract period into account.

(But perhaps I'm mistaken about this, and netcup simply haven't changed the option to cancel in the billing panel, as you suggest!)

edited April 2022

@angstrom said:

@aj_potc said:

@angstrom said:

Indeed, netcup don't go into detail about existing services, so it's my interpretation of what netcup mean (and my interpretation may be mistaken).

Again, just for clarity, here's my interpretation of the situation, taking a 12-month contract for a VPS as an example:

1. If you purchase a new service on or after 1 March 2022, then after the first unbreakable 12-month contract period, you'll be able to cancel the service at any time with one month's notice. (This is a clear case)
    2. If you purchased a service before 1 March 2022, then if you renew your contract for another 12 months, you'll only be able to cancel the service at any time with one month's notice after this renewed unbreakable 12-month period. (Admittedly, this is a less clear case)

Your ( @aj_potc 's ) case falls under 2 despite the fact that you renewed your service after 1 March 2022 for another 12 months (because it's a service that you originally purchased before 1 March 2022).

This is why I said that netcup aren't (or at least don't seem to be) applying the new law retroactively, because if they did this, then they would take your previous 12-month contract period into account.

(But perhaps I'm mistaken about this, and netcup simply haven't changed the option to cancel in the billing panel, as you suggest!)

If my interpretation is correct, a simpler way of putting this would be (again, assuming a 12-month contract for a VPS as an example):

• Any new service purchased on or after 1 March 2022 or any old service purchased before 1 March 2022 and then renewed on or after 1 March 2022 has an initial unbreakable 12-month contract period (after which one can cancel the service at any time with one month's notice)
  • @angstrom said:

If my interpretation is correct, a simpler way of putting this would be (again, assuming a 12-month contract for a VPS as an example):

• Any new service purchased on or after 1 March 2022 or any old service purchased before 1 March 2022 and then renewed on or after 1 March 2022 has an initial unbreakable 12-month contract period (after which one can cancel the service at any time with one month's notice)

That does indeed make sense (even if it isn't the most client-friendly interpretation), and I'd be willing to bet that you're exactly right. :smile:

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • Asked support, and this was their answer.

TL;DR : any existing contract that renewed after march 1st is also affected by the change.

Yay, I guess? :)

@aj_potc said:

@angstrom said:

That does indeed make sense (even if it isn't the most client-friendly interpretation), and I'd be willing to bet that you're exactly right. :smile:

In my case, to revise what I said earlier in this thread, this means: since I renewed my service this past November for another 12 months, if I decide to renew my service this coming November for yet another 12 months, then it won't be until after November of next year (= November 2023) that I'll be able to cancel my service at any time with one month's notice.

@sanvit said:

Asked support, and this was their answer.

TL;DR : any existing contract that renewed after march 1st is also affected by the change.

I'm not sure about "Yay", :) but it confirms my interpretation. :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@angstrom said:

@sanvit said:

Asked support, and this was their answer.

I'm not sure about "Yay", :) but it confirms my interpretation. :)

this. in case of renewals the 'next renewal' after march 1st will most likely be considered the "initial" contract term of e.g. 12 months and only after that it will switch to monthly.

so I agree with @angstrom... worst case: you renewed in february for 12 month. you're earliest cancellation date will be feb next year. if you do not cancel and renew agin next february, this will actually kick off the 'initial' 12 month runtime till feb 2024, and only after that it will switch to monthly.

in other words, everything existing contract you renew from now on will again run one full time for the agreed contract term. and only after that it will switch. so, have a renewal upcoming in november? then on renewal it will still be another year.

if you'd close a new contract instead you'd be in the same situation anyway. and of course you now can still put in a cancellation for november as well.

TL;DR; no monthly cancellation option on new or existing long running contracts andy time soon ... let's speak again next year.

Thanked by 2nfn angstrom

@Falzo said:
    TL;DR; no monthly cancellation option on new or existing long running contracts andy time soon ... let's speak again next year.

I wonder whether netcup will introduce 24-month contracts at some point. I don't think that they would do this in the very near future, but they might at some point.