Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for Media backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for Media backup?

SadySady Member

I am running out of my free Google Photos space so I am in search of a long-term backup solution which is ideally as convenient as Google Photos and does not cost a lot, moreover would prefer if I do not have to manage a server etc (no motivation left, I am getting old).

Mostly the use would be on my Android phone but would like to access on my other devices occasionally as well.

So I am just wondering what do you guys use for personal Media backup (i.e. Photos, Videos etc)?

Comments

• edipedip Member
    edited March 2022

Sync photos and videos to homeserver with Nextcloud. Unencrypted backup with rsnapshot to another RPi at home and encrypted backup with duplicati to cloud.

• darkimmortaldarkimmortal Member
    edited March 2022

If you’re happy with Google Photos, buy a 1st gen Google Pixel. Unlimited storage for life, including photos/videos that you copy to the Pixel from other sources

• ehabehab Member

oh my god

i thought you died.

haven't seen u since ages.... hopefully life is good with you :)

• ArkasArkas Moderator

Rclone

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Arkas said:
    Rclone

rclone and OneDrive - great combination!

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

$8/month Turkish Lira Unlimited Gsuite Enterprise.

I currently have 150TB stored :)
    I use it with Rclone to backup via PC, and Gsuite allows you to use Google Photos.

Thanked by 1farsighter
  • @Advin said:

I use it with Rclone to backup via PC, and Gsuite allows you to use Google Photos.

Just use a VPN while registering a domain?

@jugganuts said:

@Advin said:

Just use a VPN while registering a domain?

No VPN needed actually, just set your country to Turkey at checkout. It'll change the currency accordingly.

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider

@Advin said:

How do you upload with rclone? I think there's a 750GB daily cap on drive usage.

• I use Apple Photos, but the library is also synced to Nextcloud. Then I have one local backup and two offside (one to Hetzner Storage Box and the other to Backblaze B2).

• yongsikleeyongsiklee Member, Patron Provider

I bought iDrive 10TB for $4.00 per year for the first year and then $80 from the next per year. It is pretty fast with lots of features. I like it.

@WebHorizon said:

@Advin said:

How do you upload with rclone? I think there's a 750GB daily cap on drive usage.

I cycle between Google service accounts to upload to a shared drive. The cap us 750GB per user.

Thanked by 1Abd
  • miaumiau Member

Google workspace is cheap for 1tb/user it offers .

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Google drive for me.

I also keep a local backup on a home Nas.

Alternatively, if you don't want to abuse Gsuite, you can pay for Google One which gives you extra storage.

• @edip said:
    Sync photos and videos to homeserver with Nextcloud. Unencrypted backup with rsnapshot to another RPi at home and encrypted backup with duplicati to cloud.

That's some top notch failsafe of a backup.

Thanked by 1edip
  • Speaking of backup, can someone recommend an app for windows with GUI which can do an increment backup to a local storage?

• @oriend said:
    Speaking of backup, can someone recommend an app for windows with GUI which can do an increment backup to a local storage?

Macrium reflect free (only Differential backup)
    Or veeam agent for Windows free

• @vitobotta said:
    I use Apple Photos, but the library is also synced to Nextcloud. Then I have one local backup and two offside (one to Hetzner Storage Box and the other to Backblaze B2).

How are you backing up Apple Photos to Nextcloud?

• MastodontMastodont Member
    edited April 2022

Pleistocene proboscideans like me use external disks and a docking station.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited April 2022

@Sady said: Mostly, the use would be on my Android phone but would like to access on my other devices occasionally as well.

koofr / icedrive.net - both has superb android apps. What about icedrive: 5usd/tb - pretty super good price as for me. Speeds are okay. They are based somewhere in the EU. Koofr based on Hetzner.

@Sady said: So I am just wondering what do you guys use for personal Media backup (i.e., Photos, Videos etc.)?

I will write you the obvious things, but it took me a long time and many experiments for my money to accept this idea. It is elementary, and because of its simplicity, it seems complicated or deceptive. However, even children understand this idea.

The main idea is:

I've tried maybe 50+ providers (storage), at least all from: https://rclone.org/overview/

Based on my experience, several theses have been formed:

5 USD = 1TB storage = classic price just for storage only (exclude services, usability, UI, Web UI, integrations with 3rd party utils, etc.).

10 USD = 1TB = classic basic price (5USD for storage) + price for services from the provider to make valuable storage, excellent, good, and friendly to you daily (its extra fee +5 USD) for your usability.

And last, and the awful thing that needs to know for now:
    the price for 2TB HDD ~50 USD. Or 25 USD / per 1TB per EOL of the HDD (years).

While the annual price for just storage (without advanced logic, usability things, etc.) is a minimum of 60 USD / year for 1TB. Every single year. In next year it will be 120 USD (or at least +2TB of physical HDD). After a year -> it's another +2TB, and so on and so on and so on...

So, I want to say next:

Purchase physical HDD + case for HDD (another +10 USD) for making your portable storage for your home media from your smartphone. You can even directly connect HDD to your Phone via cable.

That will cost you ~50-70 USD annually instead of paying tons of money every year.

Personally, for me, very important to have cloud storage, and I'm ready to pay for it.

What about cheap "just storage"? There is a small list of verified things by me:

• hetzner storage (3 euros per 1TB, or ~40 USD annually) - pretty decent just for storing data.
    • fex.net - 25 USD for 1TB annually. (awful, in my own opinion)
    • 1fichier - ~15-25 USD for 1TB annually (awful too, and very limited)
    • icedrive.net - full-packed, ready-to-use cloud storage with apps, web interface, cheap storage and reasonable prices. Maybe in the future, it will be degraded. But for now one of the cheapest and most solid Cloud storage that I have ever tried.

Everything else >= 10USD / mo for 1TB+

Thanked by 2larmarat jaden
  • @Waldo19 said:

@vitobotta said:
    I use Apple Photos, but the library is also synced to Nextcloud. Then I have one local backup and two offside (one to Hetzner Storage Box and the other to Backblaze B2).

How are you backing up Apple Photos to Nextcloud?

I just keep the Photos library in a directory in Nextcloud.

• @vitobotta said:

The problem with using Nextcloud for iPhones is:

1) It converts the original HEIC to JPG (lossy conversion)
    2) It splits the "live picture" into a separate MOV file, creating clutter and unnecessary duplicates.

I use Resilio Sync which supports HEIC natively.

• @mosquitoguy said:

@vitobotta said:

The problem with using Nextcloud for iPhones is:

1) It converts the original HEIC to JPG (lossy conversion)
    2) It splits the "live picture" into a separate MOV file, creating clutter and unnecessary duplicates.

I use Resilio Sync which supports HEIC natively.

I don't use the Nextcloud app to upload the photos, I let iCloud do its thing. I just keep the library in Nextcloud so I have all of my data in there at any time.

Thanked by 1Waldo19
  • @vitobotta said:
    I don't use the Nextcloud app to upload the photos, I let iCloud do its thing. I just keep the library in Nextcloud so I have all of my data in there at any time.

I don't follow. You let your iphone backup your photos to iCloud. How do you get the photos from iCloud into nextcloud?

• How much storage are we talking about? 50GB, just get a Google One acct for $2/mo. Onedrive (via Microsoft 365) can be 6TB for ~$200 for 5 years if you wait for a Newegg deal.

• Following is my cloud backup

Two 10$ 5TB office 365 account with different domain
    One 5$ Google Workspace account
    One 75$ 500GB PCloud

All of these are Lifetime, i am storing important files on PCloud like personal photos and video

And Other media files are stored in Onedrive Office 365 accounts its backed up twice on different Office 365 with rclone on different domain

And once on Google workspace account with rclone

For personal i am trusting Pcloud but other media are not as much important so storing on cheap 365 account

• pengpeng Member

Google Workspace

• https://photoprism.app/ seems to be a popular Google Photos alternative these days.
    You can backup with https://www.photosync-app.com/

• @mosquitoguy said:

@vitobotta said:

I don't follow. You let your iphone backup your photos to iCloud. How do you get the photos from iCloud into nextcloud?

If you have a Mac, you can set Photos on the Mac to download full original files, and store the library in a folder that's synced with Nextcloud or other backup service.