Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch Chicago data lost ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch Chicago data lost ?

Comments

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@dnaroma said: I get a bill too but without any ticket or explanation. It's for a new VM for another two years. Not going to pay it rn.

You should contact them, as not paying the bill will get your account suspended.

• @FrankZ said:
    I woke up to a new $80 overdue bill from HostHatch, My storage service was not due to expire until November 2022.
    A ticket was open by them, as I did not open a ticket for this issue, stating.

Hello,

As you may be aware, the node on which your VM is hosted (STOR4CHI) has had issues in the past few days.

Unfortunately, we're still having issues with booting up your current VM. The data on the disk is there, however due to the bootloader being corrupted, it is unable to boot up.

We have created a new storage VM for you with the same specs. This VM is based on our new platform (available at cloud.hosthatch.com - please use the same login details as manage.)

You can boot up rescue/liveCD on your current VM to move over the data. We can also boot this up for you if you would like, please let us know. While it may be possible to repair your existing VM, we would recommend moving over your data to the new VM so there are no further issues.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused by this and will make all efforts possible to make sure this does not happen again. We have also issued a one month compensation to your new server.

Sincerely,

HostHatch LLC

Anybody else get billed?

EDIT: Nice, the new server has only less then half the RAM as the old server, (1.8GB verse 3.9GB).

Also for those of you who had account credit or a c/c on file, I expect they took your account credit, as they did mine, and paid or partially paid the new two year bill.

No bill or response to my ticket, and I feel like I may have been early to ticket when it started having problems.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran

@TimboJones said: No bill or response to my ticket, and I feel like I may have been early to ticket when it started having problems.

Did they spin up a new VPS for you in the cloud.hosthatch.com panel?

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @FrankZ said:

@dnaroma said: I get a bill too but without any ticket or explanation. It's for a new VM for another two years. Not going to pay it rn.

You should contact them, as not paying the bill will get your account suspended.

I did contact them through ticket, but no response yet

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Hosthatch seems like a wreck of a company right now.

If anyone own .NO located VPS don't even try to reinstall it as you may not be able to put it back online and support response is basically non existent.
    Seems like things work on auto-pilot there.
    What a shame, because I actually liked this host and still have several VPSes with them.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2022

I received a new email this morning that HH unsuccessfully tried to charge my c/c for the now overdue invoice of the new storage server that they created to replace the old one that was not due to expire until November. According to the email the invoice is now 2 days overdue. Their TOS states it will be suspended tomorrow. Still no response to the ticket.

Maybe it will be resolved on Monday. /s As HostHatch is starting to look like HostSolutions more and more everyday.

Note: @hosthatch Last Active: March 23
    It would have been nice if he had commented on the issues raised in this thread.

@Rockster said: What a shame, because I actually liked this host and still have several VPSes with them.

In the same boat.

• @FrankZ said:

@TimboJones said: No bill or response to my ticket, and I feel like I may have been early to ticket when it started having problems.

Did they spin up a new VPS for you in the cloud.hosthatch.com panel?

I didn't get an email but I saw my IP come up and logged in to the console to see the compression error and the mention of a pending new server. Logged into the new panel and was also showing pending.

I'll need to check for a generated invoice, no email so far anyway.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @TimboJones said: Logged into the new panel and was also showing pending.

I also have a pending server and no invoice. I'm going to disable all my host hatch paypal billing agreements just incase I also get an invoice.

@FrankZ said: Note: @hosthatch Last Active: March 23

It would have been nice if he had commented on the issues raised in this thread.

He never comments in the problem threads. Hell they barley comment in their sales threads.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Sorry for the silence on this. We're doing our best to get everyone back up and running after a storage node had a RAID failure in Chicago.

If you got an invoice that you shouldn't have gotten, please ignore it, it will be canceled automatically. It won't result in a service suspension. We're setting up new VMs for the affected customers and allowing everyone to boot up rescue/live OS on the old VMs to move the data to the new VMs. Some of the new services had invoices generated by mistake, and those are (or will be) canceled.

• @hosthatch said: after a storage node had a RAID failure in Chicago.

Was it a RAID card failure, or did some drives fail? Did you get some proactive alerts about it? Is there a risk of the same thing happening in other locations?

Are the disk sizes on the replacement servers using decimal bytes rather than binary bytes like the other new VPSes, or are the sizes identical to the old servers?

• DetruireDetruire Member
    edited March 2022

It looks like my HH Chicago storage VM is turfed (won't boot, showing a GRUB error) too. I haven't received any communication from HostHatch about any problems with the node or the VM... although I don't know know for sure what node the VM is on. :/

• TeoMTeoM Member

One more reason to buy a Google workspace Enterprise subscription and make a backup from the backup.

@Daniel15 said:

@hosthatch said: after a storage node had a RAID failure in Chicago.

Is there a risk of the same thing happening in other locations?

We've already resolved this problem by design in the new nodes we have set up in the past two years. This was one of the older nodes.

Is there a risk of servers failing in any location? Yes. But in the past 11 years, I can count failures like this on one hand. So failures like these are rare.

This is in no way meant to shun away from responsibility, but please keep multiple copies of your backups (which these storage VMs are for, unlike our NVMe line). At our pricing, you can buy three storage VMs in three different locations and replicate them, while paying the same you would pay someone like BackBlaze per TB.

• @hosthatch said: At our pricing, you can buy three storage VMs in three different locations and replicate them, while paying the same you would pay someone like BackBlaze per TB.

This would be extremely risky considering your complete support department died and when something bad happens support tickets get unanswered for months.

Thanked by 2foitin bulbasaur
  • @hosthatch said:

@Daniel15 said:

We've already resolved this problem by design in the new nodes we have set up in the past two years. This was one of the older nodes.

Is there a risk of servers failing in any location? Yes. But in the past 11 years, I can count failures like this on one hand. So failures like these are rare.

This is in no way meant to shun away from responsibility, but please keep multiple copies of your backups (which these storage VMs are for, unlike our NVMe line). At our pricing, you can buy three storage VMs in three different locations and replicate them, while paying the same you would pay someone like BackBlaze per TB.

don't talk about something far away. For this time, how much longer do we have to wait?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@hosthatch said:

@Daniel15 said:

I mean, if you're not paying promo prices, that's almost 4x Backblaze per TB per location...

Thanked by 3Homie foitin bulbasaur
  • @Samael said:

@hosthatch said: At our pricing, you can buy three storage VMs in three different locations and replicate them, while paying the same you would pay someone like BackBlaze per TB.

This would be extremely risky considering your complete support department died and when something bad happens support tickets get unanswered for months.

I don't mean to make excuses for them and any support issues you've had, but one of the advantages of their architecture is that the various locations are independent. A hardware or network problem in one location will have virtually zero chance of affecting another. I think this was Abdullah's point.

I always say that having multiple storage servers like these is cheap -- but effective -- insurance against data loss.

• MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2022

Unless something goes wrong lets say with billing and whole your stuff get suspended or something and no one to replay for weeks, right?
    This didn't happen to me I just try to get my poor vps back online - for weeks, but what I want to say is that their support is mostly non-existent even when issue arise on their own side, which is always bad.
    It doesn't matter how many locations host offer if they don't have feeling even for the most basic responsibility toward client and once things go wrong on their own side you're more or less on your own.

Multiple storage servers, yes sure, but with one host is like putting all your eggs in one basket, that's why I am saying that it's extremely risky and even worse when this host don't communicate with the clients.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Samael said:
    Unless something goes wrong lets say with billing and whole your stuff get suspended or something and no one to replay for weeks, right?
    This didn't happen to me I just try to get my poor vps back online - for weeks, but what I want to say is that their support is mostly non-existent even when issue arise on their own side, which is always bad.
    It doesn't matter how many locations host offer if they don't have feeling even for the most basic responsibility toward client and once things go wrong on their own side you're more or less on your own.

Multiple storage servers, yes sure, but with one host is like putting all your eggs in one basket, that's why I am saying that it's extremely risky and even worse when this host don't communicate with the clients.

So put them in different baskets.

Eggs are fragile after all.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • kendkend Member

My Hetrixtools is now showing a downtime of 5 days 15 hours for this Chicago storage VM. I submitted a ticket on the first day, got a reply the next day, and replied again to confirm spinning a new VM on the same day. More than 3 days passed still no reply and no new VM.

I admit this is a low price provider and I didn't expect timely support. But this case seems to be completely out of my imaging. HostHatch's VMs are great when there's no problem coming out. Normally stable and fast connection. But when there's an unexpected problem, hmmm...I thought at least the support could reply to the tickets to say that they are on this and they need more time and an ETA of solving this.

Now I'm thinking of moving production sites on their SSD VM of other locations away from it. This is really a pity.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • MumblyMumbly Member
    edited March 2022

@DP said: So put them in different baskets.

I have around 30 baskets or so all around the world, but it still sucks when some pre-paid one don't work for ages :)
    Like @kend said above: "HostHatch's VMs are great when there's no problem coming out. Normally stable and fast connection. But when there's an unexpected problem, hmmm..." Then you're pretty much screwed.

• NoCommentNoComment Member
    edited March 2022

@Samael said: This would be extremely risky considering your complete support department died and when something bad happens support tickets get unanswered for months.

@zqm840527 said: don't talk about something far away. For this time, how much longer do we have to wait?

@kend said: More than 3 days passed still no reply and no new VM.

If timely support is really that important for you, all you can do is look for another provider. Many providers here run tight ships and their support departments are often lacking. Of course, some providers here are able to provide really cheap services and good support but that is not common.

Hosthatch is known for slow support. That's just how it is. But they provide good value for the prices you pay for their promo plans. Personally, I think you should always have multiple backup servers and at least failover for "production" sites. The cheaper prices you see from the providers on LET makes it possible to make high availability setups for less than it would cost you on the bigger providers like aws, gcp and azure without high availability.

This is one of the reasons why I constantly have lots of idling servers so I can move things around whenever necessary. Over time, you just learn to temper your expectations and with some intuition you are able to pick out providers that provide you more stable uptime. It sucks that you guys had to wait for days or weeks for support to reply you. But your only alternatives are to pay more elsewhere, or have backups for when support is slow.

For example, someone very price conscious might find good providers like buyvm or hetzner (vps and storage line) expensive. But the reality is they provide a good service cheaper than the big boys along with all the bells and whistles (such as good support).

@Samael said: This didn't happen to me I just try to get my poor vps back online - for weeks

Can you please PM me your ticket #, where your server has been offline for weeks due to a fault on our end and we have left it unresolved? Thanks.

• risturizristuriz Member
    edited March 2022

I have this message on new panel:

This server is in a pending state and may be awaiting its invoice to be paid for or is still being built.

What are the steps to activate new server and reboot the old with live to backup/restore?

Confirmed livecd works... So only need the new VPS online.

P.D. Ticket #970498

Thanks.

• @hosthatch said: If you got an invoice that you shouldn't have gotten, please ignore it, it will be canceled automatically. It won't result in a service suspension.

I have received last warning for the wrongly generated invoice, let's see if my account will get suspended.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @hosthatch said:

@Daniel15 said:

Are there more older nodes like this in Chicago? My 1TB was involucrated but the 2TB was untouched, just wondering if it's inevitable for this to happen to my other server.

Thanked by 1darkimmortal
  • @kend said:
    My Hetrixtools is now showing a downtime of 5 days 15 hours for this Chicago storage VM. I submitted a ticket on the first day, got a reply the next day, and replied again to confirm spinning a new VM on the same day. More than 3 days passed still no reply and no new VM.

I admit this is a low price provider and I didn't expect timely support. But this case seems to be completely out of my imaging. HostHatch's VMs are great when there's no problem coming out. Normally stable and fast connection. But when there's an unexpected problem, hmmm...I thought at least the support could reply to the tickets to say that they are on this and they need more time and an ETA of solving this.

Now I'm thinking of moving production sites on their SSD VM of other locations away from it. This is really a pity.

Most likely they didn't have any extra nodes and have to setup another node with a bunch of storage.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@hosthatch said: We've already resolved this problem by design in the new nodes we have set up in the past two years. This was one of the older nodes.

Will the old nodes eventually be retrofitted to this new design?

@hosthatch said: but please keep multiple copies of your backups (which these storage VMs are for, unlike our NVMe line).

Noted! I have a backup at Servarica and another in a pCloud 4TB lifetime account. Restoring that large a backup takes a lot of work though :smile:

At our pricing, you can buy three storage VMs in three different locations and replicate them

I've considered doing this since your storage (at least with the sales) is very very cheap. I have a concern with keeping all my storage at the same provider though, just in case the provider is compromised and the attackers wipe all the servers they can access (which has happened to me before - I lost multiple VPSes in the fsckvps hack back in 2009 where nearly half of their nodes were wiped via a HyperVM vulnerability)

Thanked by 1skorous
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2022

@dnaroma said:

@hosthatch said: If you got an invoice that you shouldn't have gotten, please ignore it, it will be canceled automatically. It won't result in a service suspension.

I have received last warning for the wrongly generated invoice, let's see if my account will get suspended.

The invoice is still in my billing panel as well.
    The ticket still has no response from HH.
    ~4 hours to go until the next auto generated email.
    Will HH ride in at the last minute, like the cavalry, to save us all?
    or will the bots rule the day and accounts get suspended?

• Has anyone recovered his data,?Most of mine is broken. :(

This discussion has been closed.