Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostHatch Chicago data lost ? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostHatch Chicago data lost ?

124»

Comments

• @Daniel15 said:
    I've considered doing this since your storage (at least with the sales) is very very cheap. I have a concern with keeping all my storage at the same provider though, just in case the provider is compromised and the attackers wipe all the servers they can access (which has happened to me before - I lost multiple VPSes in the fsckvps hack back in 2009 where nearly half of their nodes were wiped via a HyperVM vulnerability)

Dude, you're bad luck for the rest of us co-located with you. :p >:)

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @dragonfsky said:
    Has anyone recovered his data,?Most of mine is broken. :(

Your new VM is online now? Mine is still pending.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited March 2022

@TimboJones said:

@Daniel15 said:
    I've considered doing this since your storage (at least with the sales) is very very cheap. I have a concern with keeping all my storage at the same provider though, just in case the provider is compromised and the attackers wipe all the servers they can access (which has happened to me before - I lost multiple VPSes in the fsckvps hack back in 2009 where nearly half of their nodes were wiped via a HyperVM vulnerability)

Dude, you're bad luck for the rest of us co-located with you. :p >:)

Haha
    The fsckvps brought down around ~100,000 websites, so I was just a small part of it. It was the longest thread I had ever seen on WHT, by far.

If you want an opposite anecdote, a long time ago some friends and I had a dedicated server. I think it was literally just a regular tower PC in a data center, like what Hetzner do for their cheapest servers (except this one was in the USA). AthlonXP processor, 4GB RAM and a single 160GB IDE hard drive. At the time it was around $60/month, which wasn't bad after splitting it five ways. This was long before low-end hosts were a big thing. We had no RAID, and we never took backups of it, yet somehow we never lost any data. 😛

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • fkjfkj Member

I got the new VM that is smaller than the original one so I can't just clone the disk to the new VM. Originally disk size was calculated by TB multiplying 1024^3, while the new one was 1000^3. Raised a ticket yesterday but no response yet.

The data on the disk is there, however due to the bootloader being corrupted, it is unable to boot up.

Although I'm not sure how can a RAID failure can damage only the bootloader but kept the data intact. Aren't the bootloader and the data suppose to be on the same VM/qcow2 file?

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@fkj said:
    Although I'm not sure how can a RAID failure can damage only the bootloader but kept the data intact. Aren't the bootloader and the data suppose to be on the same VM/qcow2 file?

The answer might be "the data is there, but corrupt"

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • @fkj said:
    I got the new VM that is smaller than the original one so I can't just clone the disk to the new VM. Originally disk size was calculated by TB multiplying 1024^3, while the new one was 1000^3. Raised a ticket yesterday but no response yet.

The data on the disk is there, however due to the bootloader being corrupted, it is unable to boot up.

My new VM is still pending...

• My new VM has online for 5 days ago, but the spec is wrong.
    I got a downgraded VM. :<
    I lost all my data (okay, maybe just corrupt), and 2GB RAM.

@hosthatch
    My ticket number is #884074.
    Please fix the wrong spec before you remove my old VM.

• zqm840527zqm840527 Member
    edited March 2022

@yancheng said:
    My new VM has online for 5 days ago, but the spec is wrong.

@hosthatch

@hosthatch

same here, 4GB RAM become 2GB.

I guess we are not the only two, please check all new VMs.

• zqm840527zqm840527 Member
    edited March 2022

@zqm840527 said:

@yancheng said:
    My new VM has online for 5 days ago, but the spec is wrong.

@hosthatch

@hosthatch

same here, 4GB RAM become 2GB.

I guess we are not the only two, please check all new VMs.

all is good now, let's see how the new VM goes.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited March 2022

@FrankZ said: The invoice is still in my billing panel as well.
    The ticket still has no response from HH.

Invoice has been removed.
    Ticket was responded to and RAM issue was resolved.

• @fkj said: Originally disk size was calculated by TB multiplying 1024^3, while the new one was 1000^3.

HostHatch are using decimal bytes for their new VMs, even though data only cares about binary... This is actually something I was concerned about too. From https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3385554:

@Daniel15 said:

@webcraft said:

@Emil said:
    We will offer a migration path from early next year

Any news about this?

Migration from old to new will be... interesting... given the newer ones are smaller due to the use of binary bytes on the old VPSes vs decimal bytes on the new ones, so simply copying across an exact image of the old VPS wouldn't actually work. 🤔

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @Daniel15 said:

@fkj said: Originally disk size was calculated by TB multiplying 1024^3, while the new one was 1000^3.

HostHatch are using decimal bytes for their new VMs, even though data only cares about binary... This is actually something I was concerned about too. From https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3385554:

Is this because new HH panel vs old one?

• My invoice is still there, even a late fee is added, new VM still pending

• And now my Storage LAX cannot boot
    fsck error on boot: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

Anyone else having trouble booting in LAX?

• @zqm840527 said:
    ticket replied

Mike W — HostHatch Representative
    Hello,

Apologies for the delayed response.

We're still investigating the ongoing issue affecting the node STOR4.CHI.

The node had disk errors and was hard rebooted, causing most VMs to have errors when booting up.

We are still doing our best to restore all VMs back to their working state.

If it is possible for you, we would recommend that we spin up a new VM for you with the same specifications and boot up RescueCD on the current/affected VM. You can then move over the data to the new VM. We can also move over your old IP address to the new VM if needed. Please let us know.

help me!
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/178235/my-hosthatch-vps-cannot-start/p1?new=1

• @hosthatch said:
    Sorry for the silence on this. We're doing our best to get everyone back up and running after a storage node had a RAID failure in Chicago.

If you got an invoice that you shouldn't have gotten, please ignore it, it will be canceled automatically. It won't result in a service suspension. We're setting up new VMs for the affected customers and allowing everyone to boot up rescue/live OS on the old VMs to move the data to the new VMs. Some of the new services had invoices generated by mistake, and those are (or will be) canceled.

help me!

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@meizhiba said: help me!

You already have a thread opened so stop spamming the link to it.

By spamming you won't get HostHatch's attention but the moderators attention instead.

This usually ends with a warning and/or a ban.

Thanked by 1the_doctor
  • @DP said:

@meizhiba said: help me!

You already have a thread opened so stop spamming the link to it.

By spamming you won't get HostHatch's attention but the moderators attention instead.

This usually ends with a warning and/or a ban.

ok,sorry

• "You can boot up rescue/liveCD on your current VM to move over the data."

Please help how I can connect my old VM disk to new VM after I boot into Ubuntu live server ISO?

• @balaji_pitchumani said:
    "You can boot up rescue/liveCD on your current VM to move over the data."

Please help how I can connect my old VM disk to new VM after I boot into Ubuntu live server ISO?

Mount disk and rsync data?

• TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited March 2022

I really think that the ticket showing "Answered" for a "we'll look into this" response is fundamentally wrong. If the support guy is looking through a list, how does "Answered" show that he has the action item and I'm waiting 10 days and potentially forever due to "answered" status?

How about a fucking "Investigating" status so everyone knows what the actual fucking status is? Fuck, even "responded" would be better than "answered".

I know that support stats are usually gamed by managers to look better, but I have zero tolerance for stupid fuckery like this. You don't need to be a Process Engineer to know this is just dumb.

Note to self, disable auto renewal with HH.

Thanked by 2FrankZ foitin
  • @TimboJones said:
    I really think that the ticket showing "Answered" for a "we'll look into this" response is fundamentally wrong. If the support guy is looking through a list, how does "Answered" show that he has the action item and I'm waiting 10 days and potentially forever due to "answered" status?

How about a fucking "Investigating" status so everyone knows what the actual fucking status is? Fuck, even "responded" would be better than "answered".

I know that support stats are usually gamed by managers to look better, but I have zero tolerance for stupid fuckery like this. You don't need to be a Process Engineer to know this is just dumb.

Note to self, disable auto renewal with HH.

I agree with you that my data is lost in hosthatch, but they will not reply to my work order!

• HostHatch's BF2021 thread closed because of this?
    People flooding into that thread to post their actual "experience" with HostHatch, a "top" provider here? :)

• @foitin said:
    HostHatch's BF2021 thread closed because of this?
    People flooding into that thread to post their actual "experience" with HostHatch, a "top" provider here? :)

I had really good experiences with them BF2020. My servers from BF2021 aren't bad per-se but just aren't as good and seems like they have not gotten all their nodes in order.

This discussion has been closed.