Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rsync.net like storage but cheaper?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rsync.net like storage but cheaper?

Are there any alternatives worth considering besides Hetzner's Storage Box? Is there a service that allows rsync/sftp backups where you just pay for your usage?

For example with Storage Box there's a jump from 1 TB to 5 TB which I don't need. I used rsync.net at a previous job in the past and I liked it a lot but it's on the pricey side for me for personal stuff.

Any suggestions? This is just for backups (both from servers and from my Macs usinq Arq, which supports sftp). Thanks!

Thanked by 1hnzlet

Comments

• ErisaErisa Member
    edited March 2022

There are a few, but you may find that they sacrifice stability and/or reliability to achieve their price unlike what Hetzner does. Pretty much comes with the territory of lowend providers however.

Some that come to mind immediately are
    @interservermike https://www.interserver.net/storage/
    @NetDynamics24 https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177952/backup-storage-30-lifetime-recurring-discount#latest

As a side note if you need 2TB or 3TB on Hetzner Storage Box but don't need more than 1TB from a single source, you can most likely purchase multiple 1TB boxes and spread them in a smart way. Though the pricing for this usage will not be optimal, it certainly is cheaper than rsync.net.

You can also get a "storage VPS" at one of a great many providers and setup ssh yourself for sftp access.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member
    Thanked by 2Erisa NetDynamics24
  • kennsannkennsann Member
    edited March 2022

Wasabi.com is pretty good tbh. It's S3 compatible for $5.99/m per TB. Its a bit pricey-ier but they dont charge for API and bandwidth (as long as bandwidth usage is 1:1 on the size of your service within the month). I tried copying my stuff from and to them, it saturated the 1gbps with thousands of small files (<1mb).

Actually, its way better than what contabo recently offered, since they limit your speed to like 100mbps or something.

Edit: they also have free one month trial too.

• @Erisa said:
    There are a few, but you may find that they sacrifice stability and/or reliability to achieve their price unlike what Hetzner does. Pretty much comes with the territory of lowend providers however.

Some that come to mind immediately are
    @interservermike https://www.interserver.net/storage/
    @NetDynamics24 https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/177952/backup-storage-30-lifetime-recurring-discount#latest

As a side note if you need 2TB or 3TB on Hetzner Storage Box but don't need more than 1TB from a single source, you can most likely purchase multiple 1TB boxes and spread them in a smart way. Though the pricing for this usage will not be optimal, it certainly is cheaper than rsync.net.

You can also get a "storage VPS" at one of a great many providers and setup ssh yourself for sftp access.

NetDynamics looks good, thanks. They even have Finland (where I live) as a location.

How do you combine multiple 1TB storage boxes?> @kennsann said:

Wasabi.com is pretty good tbh. It's S3 compatible for $5.99/m per TB. Its a bit pricey-ier but they dont charge for API and bandwidth (as long as bandwidth usage is 1:1 on the size of your service within the month). I tried copying my stuff from and to them, it saturated the 1gbps with thousands of small files (<1mb).

Actually, its way better than what contabo recently offered, since they limit your speed to like 100mbps or something.

Edit: they also have free one month trial too.

At the moment I use Wasabi and Backblaze for backups, but for this I don't really need an object storage kind of storage and would prefer a regular filesystem where I can use for example rsync.

Thanked by 2Erisa NetDynamics24
  • ErisaErisa Member

@vitobotta said: How do you combine multiple 1TB storage boxes?

You can't. I just mean that if you have multiple then you can backup one server to one, another server to a different one, etc. As long as you don't have a single server needing to send 1TB+ of data and you spread the boxes across servers needing to do backups then it can work.

But it is of course, janky and not ideal in a lot of situations.

NetDynamics is probably a good idea, they use Hetzner network on their own servers if I remember right. I don't know if it's changed but last I checked they didn't have disk reundancy but whether that matters for your backups is up to you.

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • @Erisa said:

@vitobotta said: How do you combine multiple 1TB storage boxes?

You can't. I just mean that if you have multiple then you can backup one server to one, another server to a different one, etc. As long as you don't have a single server needing to send 1TB+ of data and you spread the boxes across servers needing to do backups then it can work.

But it is of course, janky and not ideal in a lot of situations.

Ah OK. I thought it was not possible so I got really curious about it :)

NetDynamics is probably a good idea, they use Hetzner network on their own servers if I remember right. I don't know if it's changed but last I checked they didn't have disk reundancy but whether that matters for your backups is up to you.

I see. Good to know, thanks!

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@Erisa said:

NetDynamics is probably a good idea, they use Hetzner network on their own servers if I remember right.

Hello,
    our EU servers are indeed from Hetzner but we also have servers in USA (IOFlood DC).

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • ErisaErisa Member

@NetDynamics24 said:

@Erisa said:

NetDynamics is probably a good idea, they use Hetzner network on their own servers if I remember right.

Hello,
    our EU servers are indeed from Hetzner but we also have servers in USA (IOFlood DC).

Thank you for clarifying :)

By the way as an aside, the link your signature leads to https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.html which no longer exists and errors. The correct link is https://netdynamics24.com/backup-services.php (.html -> .php)

• I just ordered with @NetDynamics24

Thanks for the suggestion @Erisa !

• Well maybe BorgBackup with BorgBase could interest you? I mean this is how i ended on BorgBase because pricing of rsync.net was not apealing enough. Also in the past rsync.net had special prices for BorgBackup users but i think this doesn't exist anymore.

Hetzner Storage Box is a good alternative tbh.

On my side i've moved to another solution ; i was thinking about restic with S3 as storage but finally i'm using Duplicacy with S3 as well ; i have a personnal S3 using Minio and a S3 on B2 ; also added a webdav storage as "copy" of my backups.

• @o_be_one said:
    Well maybe BorgBackup with BorgBase could interest you? I mean this is how i ended on BorgBase because pricing of rsync.net was not apealing enough. Also in the past rsync.net had special prices for BorgBackup users but i think this doesn't exist anymore.

Hetzner Storage Box is a good alternative tbh.

On my side i've moved to another solution ; i was thinking about restic with S3 as storage but finally i'm using Duplicacy with S3 as well ; i have a personnal S3 using Minio and a S3 on B2 ; also added a webdav storage as "copy" of my backups.

BorgBase works only with Borg AFAIK. I need to be able to back up both my Mac with Arq and my server with rsync. I'm setting up backups with NetDynamics now :)

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited March 2022

@vitobotta said: I'm setting up backups with NetDynamics now

I've seen their offer but also seen they had bad reputation so i tried to find other providers.

@vitobotta said: BorgBase works only with Borg AFAIK. I need to be able to back up both my Mac with Arq and my server with rsync.

Exact as i've said in my answer as well ^^. I totally understand your point. Does arq support S3? You may like Wasabi, Filebase, Backblaze B2, Storj (requires a gateway iirc to be S3 compatible) and other providers? I don't know how much you have to backup on your server but i read you have only one which made me think the free tier on BorgBage (10gb) could worth the switch to BorgBackup and let your more choices for your Mac?

If i've made the choice to move to something similar to Restic, in my case Duplicacy, it's to take advantage from "lifetime" cloud storage i already had as well + cheap storage i could use with Minio (like a storage slab from BuyVM, or a storage server from Servarica for example).

I totally get my answer may not fit your case, i'm dropping some ideas to open new ways that could help you find the best possible solution ^^.

• @o_be_one said:

@vitobotta said: I'm setting up backups with NetDynamics now

I've seen their offer but also seen they had bad reputation so i tried to found other providers.

Hopefully I don't have problems. It's a new provider for me and was suggested by others here so it was worth trying. So far backups are working nicely and are very fast.

@vitobotta said: BorgBase works only with Borg AFAIK. I need to be able to back up both my Mac with Arq and my server with rsync.

Does arq support S3? You may like Wasabi, .. Backblaze B2, ..?

Yes, I am backing up to to both Wasabi and Backblaze but I don't need 1TB at the moment and also to back up with Arq and from my server a regular filesystem is a lot faster than object storage.

I don't know how much you have to backup on your server but i read you have only one which made me think the free tier on BorgBage (10gb) could worth the switch to BorgBackup and let your more choices for your Mac?

Not much for now. My data fits in just 500GB for now.

If i've made the choice to move to something similar to Restic, in my case Duplicacy, it's to take advantage from "lifetime" cloud storage i already had as well + cheap storage i could use with Minio (like a storage slab from BuyVM, or a storage server from Servarica for example).

I totally get my answer may not fit your case, i'm dropping some ideas to open new ways that could help you find the best possible solution ^^.

I used Duplicacy in the past, it was nice. I like Arq a lot because it supports a ton of provider and has a nice interface. Plus it's very fast at both backing up and restoring the data :)

@o_be_one said:
    I've seen their offer but also seen they had bad reputation so i tried to found other providers.

Where have you seen that?

• @NetDynamics24 said: Where have you seen that?

It was last year iirc, probably on LET and Reddit (maybe TrustPilot is possible as well if you are). Usually i don't consider one review to be enough to be careful regarding a provider, but multiple makes me consider avoiding the provider. I havent memorised where and i'm not sure about what was the issue, i think they talked about the founder in shady stuffs but i'm not sure at all. I've just noted in my head that sadly your backup solution could cause me more overhead following what i've read.

Disclaimer: if anyone reads this i strongly suggest to do your own research instead of just trusting a random user on a forum telling he read something bad somewhere.

• o_be_oneo_be_one Member
    edited March 2022

@NetDynamics24 said: Where have you seen that?

Ah yeah on LET i remember this topic:
    https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/171221/20-lifetime-discount-on-backup-storage-netdynamics24

As people who called the warning are known here, i did more research to get more informations iirc. There was not that much but there was somewhere another thread i think, i may find it again if i continue to search again for it.

I remember i didn't felt safe reading your answers as well, but this is more about our personal experiences and opinions.

Actually it was last year before my LLC was registered. Now it is registered since last year.

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • @NetDynamics24 said:
    Actually it was last year before my LLC was registered. Now it is registered since last year.

Is what is said in that thread true?

• @o_be_one said:
    Well maybe BorgBackup with BorgBase could interest you? I mean this is how i ended on BorgBase because pricing of rsync.net was not apealing enough. Also in the past rsync.net had special prices for BorgBackup users but i think this doesn't exist anymore.

They still do, they just make it hard to find - https://www.rsync.net/products/borg.html

Thanked by 1o_be_one
  • i am using sugarsync for an additional backup.

• @frakass said:
    i am using sugarsync for an additional backup.

SugarSync is not a real backup though.

• @vitobotta said:

@frakass said:
    i am using sugarsync for an additional backup.

SugarSync is not a real backup though.

C'mon, don't start another argument thread @vitobotta !!

• rsync_dot_netrsync_dot_net Member, Host Rep

Just saw this thread for the first time - sorry to miss it back in March ...

FWIW, we just significantly lowered our standard pricing - in fact, it goes all the way down to $0.006/GB/mo (otherwise known as "wasabi pricing") ... of course that is for very large (PB+) quantities.

But the other tiers also got significantly cheaper.

In other news, rsync.net is now old enough to drink in the US :)

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2022

@rsync_dot_net said:
    Just saw this thread for the first time - sorry to miss it back in March ...

FWIW, we just significantly lowered our standard pricing - in fact, it goes all the way down to $0.006/GB/mo (otherwise known as "wasabi pricing") ... of course that is for very large (PB+) quantities.

But the other tiers also got significantly cheaper.

In other news, rsync.net is now old enough to drink in the US :)

To be fair, Wasabi is $5.99/TB with only a 1TB minimum storage commitment vs having PB's+ :)
    Rsync.net has its advantages, but Wasabi is super cheap if you just need some cheap storage for backups or something like that.

edited May 2022

@Advin said:
    To be fair, Wasabi is $5.99/TB with only a 1TB minimum storage commitment vs having PB's+

Like folks above mentioned - the discounted 'borg plan' - which you can point ANY ssh/sftp tool at, not just borg - has a minimum of $18 per YEAR for 100 GB:

https://www.rsync.net/products/borg.html

No subaccounts and no (free) snapshots and no borg-specific technical support ... otherwise a normal rsync.net account.

I predict Wasabi will not survive the corporate paper selloff and the inability to roll over their debt. They will be purchased or, more likely, will go out of business.

• ahnlakahnlak Member

@rsync_dot_net said:

@Advin said:
    To be fair, Wasabi is $5.99/TB with only a 1TB minimum storage commitment vs having PB's+

Like folks above mentioned - the discounted 'borg plan' - which you can point ANY ssh/sftp tool at, not just borg - has a minimum of $18 per YEAR for 100 GB:

No subaccounts and no (free) snapshots and no borg-specific technical support ... otherwise a normal rsync.net account.

I predict Wasabi will not survive the corporate paper selloff and the inability to roll over their debt. They will be purchased or, more likely, will go out of business.

Out of interest, have your borg accounts reduced in price too, or just your standard plans?

• szymonpszymonp Member

You can always buy a VPS and mount rclone from any cloud you like to FTP or other

• amarcamarc Veteran
    edited May 2022

@rsync_dot_net I see ZFS send/recv did not get "lower pricing" love ?

@amarc said:
    @rsync_dot_net I see ZFS send/recv did not get "lower pricing" love ?

They are going to update that page later today - the zfs-send capable accounts will have the lower pricing as well.

Good news / Bad news:

• The good news is they will have the lower price points - same price for zfs-send

• The bad news is that we are raising the minimum zfs-send account size to 4TB. We have to create and maintain a VPS for each of these and assign an IP address, etc. - they are quite a bit more overhead than a standard rsync.net account.

... so the minimum sized zfs-send target would be USD $60/mo.

@ahnlak said:

Out of interest, have your borg accounts reduced in price too, or just your standard plans?

Sort of ... the very base borg account now has the same 1.5c pricing - but you can order a much smaller (100 GB) account for only $18/year.

Larger "borg accounts" are indeed at a markedly better price point: