Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo - New record in CPU steal :D
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo - New record in CPU steal :D

So I signed up for a VPS S just because I thought that being in the same data center with their new object storage, Nextcloud would perform better.

OMG CPU steal reached 70-80% sometimes and everything was slow like a sloth 😂

Needless to say I cancelled right away and requested a refund (I'm within the 14 days from purchase).

The object storage looked nice, but had problems with that too (chunk size and various errors).

This is probably the third of fourth time I try Contabo and it never disappoints :D

Comments

• Which location you used, out of curiosity?

• @JeDaYoshi said:
    Which location you used, out of curiosity?

Germany. I think it was in Dusseldorf

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited March 2022

My record

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • @JabJab said:
    My record

Shit. I thought I had beaten records :(

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited March 2022

Mine is 95.0 I believe.

• ErisaErisa Member

@vitobotta said:
    So I signed up for a VPS S just because I thought that being in the same data center with their new object storage, Nextcloud would perform better.

Their object storage goes through Cloudflare anyway (though it seems they disabled caching) so you'll get roughly the same performance from Contabo as you would any other provider in Germany, since its all going through Cloudflares Germany DC (of which they have a few actually)

• Seriously who manages to actually do something with VPS with this level of CPU steal?

• AidanAidan Member

@vitobotta said:
    Seriously who manages to actually do something with VPS with this level of CPU steal?

I can confirm that idling works well.

• srch07srch07 Member
    edited March 2022

I never faced issue with there CPU.
    Only issue I have with them is disk speed.
    But I have never contacted them to lift disk speed limit or checked if them have a limit.

This is Germany one.

This in USA DC.

• I have tried contabo one year ago and canceled it right away

• @srch07 said: I never faced issue with there CPU.

With that low cpu usage you won't have a problem - you asked for peanuts, server had no problem with giving you peanuts. steal shows up when you actually want to use more CPU and your VM requests that, yet host machine can't allocate it because it's already full.

Thanked by 10xbkt
  • @srch07 said:
    But I have never contacted them to lift disk speed limit or checked if them have a limit.

Disk speed actually was awesome this time because I choose NVMe instead of regular SSD. It used to be crap, I know

• @JabJab said:

@srch07 said: I never faced issue with there CPU.

With that low cpu usage you won't have a problem - you asked for peanuts, server had no problem with giving you peanuts. steal shows up when you actually want to use more CPU and your VM requests that, yet host machine can't allocate it because it's already full.

The funniest part was when I was browsing the photos tab in Nextcloud, which fires many requests to generate the previews.... the vps got crazy

• @vitobotta said:

@srch07 said:

Disk speed actually was awesome this time because I choose NVMe instead of regular SSD. It used to be crap, I know

I have germany one on ssd and usa one on nvme.
    I feel both are shit actually compared to actual ssd and nvme. :wink:

But I have few services on both, that I find a headache to move.
    Will do that someday.

• It's been over 6 hours and Contabo hasn't replied to my email about revocation yet. How long do they take to respond these days?

• @vitobotta said:
    It's been over 6 hours and Contabo hasn't replied to my email about revocation yet. How long do they take to respond these days?

They have a huge backlog of support requests. The Düsseldorf incident that happened on Friday has probably made it worse :D

• @datanomi said:

@vitobotta said:
    It's been over 6 hours and Contabo hasn't replied to my email about revocation yet. How long do they take to respond these days?

They have a huge backlog of support requests. The Düsseldorf incident that happened on Friday has probably made it worse :D

OK. I hope I get my refund...

• BTW, speaking of CPU steal. I was complaining recently about two outages in 3 days with my VPS with ST (https://signaltransmitter.de/en) but after that the VPS has been awesome. CPU steal constantly at 0.0 and awesome performance overall. I almost feel guilty for complaining then :D

This was indeed a good deal. They still have it apparently, 2 Ryzen 3970X cores, 4GB of RAM and 30 GB of storage for just 39 euros + VAT per month. Considering the performance this is probably the best deal I've got so far. I just hope it stays stable now :D

• I was curious about getting Contabo for production.

Glad I avoided.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2022

@vitobotta said:

I asked for a refund on a Singapore VPS a few days ago, no response yet.

• @nikozin said:
    I was curious about getting Contabo for production.

Glad I avoided.

I can't imagine anyone using it for production 😂

edited March 2022

@vitobotta said:
    BTW, speaking of CPU steal. I was complaining recently about two outages in 3 days with my VPS with ST (https://signaltransmitter.de/en) but after that the VPS has been awesome. CPU steal constantly at 0.0 and awesome performance overall. I almost feel guilty for complaining then :D

This was indeed a good deal. They still have it apparently, 2 Ryzen 3970X cores, 4GB of RAM and 30 GB of storage for just 39 euros + VAT per month. Considering the performance this is probably the best deal I've got so far. I just hope it stays stable now :D

4GB RAM and 30GB of storage for 39 euros per month is a terrible deal :/
    Hetzner Cloud or even Vultr can beat that easily.

Edit: Did you mean per year or per month? :)

Thanked by 1angelius
  • @Advin said:

@vitobotta said:
    BTW, speaking of CPU steal. I was complaining recently about two outages in 3 days with my VPS with ST (https://signaltransmitter.de/en) but after that the VPS has been awesome. CPU steal constantly at 0.0 and awesome performance overall. I almost feel guilty for complaining then :D

4GB RAM and 30GB of storage for 39 euros is a terrible deal :/

The most comparable plan with Hetzner is the CX21 which is almost 4.90e + VAT /mo which is 59e. So it's more expensive and the CPUs on those virtual servers are slower Intel.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The node is loaded to the roof, if you see cpu steal.
    Maybe with bigger packages, you have a bigger cpu weight, which makes it for the smaller packages worse if the node is loaded.

However, I still do understand, how they don't monitor their nodes.

edited March 2022

@vitobotta said:

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

The most comparable plan with Hetzner is the CX21 which is almost 4.90e + VAT /mo which is 59e. So it's more expensive and the CPUs on those virtual servers are slower Intel.

In you post you said 39 euros + VAT per month :p Looks like a typo
    If it's 39 euros per year, you got a great deal :)

• @Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

@Advin said:

@vitobotta said:

In you post you said 39 euros + VAT per month :p Looks like a typo
    If it's 39 euros per year, you got a great deal :)

Oh sorry!! :D Yeah it's per year :)

• Its per lifetime
    The end is here