Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RackNerd Review - Reseller Hosting with some serious kinks
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RackNerd Review - Reseller Hosting with some serious kinks

On the surface RackNerd should hands down be winning the reseller segment. They have great prices, amazing add-ons and top end products like CloudLinux/WHM/ClientEXEC/Litespeed with QUIC above standard included in the offering. However when it comes to what you ACTUALLY should expect from the Reseller experience, a few speed bumps start popping up.

Would you like to enable a PHP module as a reseller? Open a Ticket. Would a client like to be able to enable some php package? Ticket to you, then ticket to them. CloudLinux is awesome, but if you don't enable CageFS it loses a lot of the capability set it is built for. I am not sure if maybe I got an older server that wasnt configured, but the responses from their tech team didnt make sense about enabling package selection at a reseller/cpanel user level effecting the entire server. This is the first time I have ran into this at a reseller hosting company and I just don't get why.

I really want to love them, and I am this close, but wow this makes tuning a deployment harder. It makes my new clients experience bumpy and generally leaves me wondering why this seemingly very promising host leaves this fairly critical feature on the table.

Thanked by 1unfortunately

Comments

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Hi @jollymon -- appreciate you choosing RackNerd as your provider! Happy to see you were able to find excellent value in our pricing and features that we offer with our reseller hosting product line :)

To answer your question regarding PHP modules/packages, simply put - with our shared/reseller hosting platform, by default we should already have all of the common modules and PHP pre-requisites already enabled. Unless you're running some sort of uncommon script/application that requires a special module that typically otherwise wouldn't be used in common scripts like Wordpress, then most of the time it should not be a problem. It is very possible your script or use-case may have required an out-of-the-ordinary PHP module, in which it sounds like we've enabled for you. In these rare circumstances, we're happy to consider enabling PHP modules upon request, so long it doesn't pose any security risks or stability issues with a shared environment.

I'd also like to point out that this is only applicable to our shared/reseller hosting platform, with our VPS product line (which most developers and power users choose) our customers do receive full root access/control over their environment.

Lastly, I'd like to note that I am speaking very generically here (without yet having reviewed your account or your particular situation). If you don't mind, please e-mail me at [email protected] with your primary domain on file with your reseller account, so I can review your account's ticket history in greater detail and follow up with you personally.

Thank You again for doing business with RackNerd -- I look forward to hearing from you soon 👊

• I wanted to post an update I have contacted Dustin (owner I think) after he reached out to me. Cant say what/if resolution looks like yet but at least they are talking with me about this which I appreciate.

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Update 2. I provided some screenshots and they got 2 the bottom of it and now I can freely select modules (and so can clients) which will make my life much better! I keep reading this is a cult of Racknerd/Dustin and with service like this I can see why.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Was hoping this thread was about Dusty’s predilection for covering himself in chocolate, hiding in a back alley and allowing himself to be licked clean by vagrants.

• @Nekki said:
    Was hoping this thread was about Dusty’s predilection for covering himself in chocolate, hiding in a back alley and allowing himself to be licked clean by vagrants.

That IS seriously kinky

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • ErisaErisa Member

@Nekki said:

Those threads get deleted.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur skorous
  • JasonMJasonM Member
    edited March 2022

@jollymon said: now I can freely select modules

Yeah good for you it got sorted.

For any WHM reseller hosting I'm wondering we can select modules from inside the php-selector, like opcache, imageick, etc. So in WHM when you create sub-accounts or cpanel accounts for your clients, keep the default settings (called as "feature list") as it is OR if you want custom modules just go to WHM > Feature Manager > Create custom List (name) > Select all modules / dis-select and then apply to individual cPanel accounts.

• @dustinc said:

Thank You again for doing business with RackNerd -- I look forward to hearing from you soon 👊

Hi Dustin will you consider introduce japan datacenter like virmach?

• @jollymon said:
    Update 2. I provided some screenshots and they got 2 the bottom of it and now I can freely select modules

Yeah, I was sure I selected php versions and modules through cPanel on my reseller account. Glad you got that sorted out.

Racknerd support is awesome.

• @Nekki said:

I said serious kinks, not your avg Friday night :*