Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo is giving it's SSD storage by double
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo is giving it's SSD storage by double

For those who didn't notice, contabo is giving its SSD storage by double.

Make the price even more competitive IMO.
Seem no promotional period is written, don't know it will last how long through.

Comments

• @jason5545 said: Make the price even more competitive IMO.

Yeah. I wonder how fast is / will be this ssd storage.

• @pbx said:

@jason5545 said: Make the price even more competitive IMO.

Don't expect too much, but is enough for my use case.
    Fun facts, their SSD VPS beats their HDD VPS plan after the free upgrade.

Thanked by 1pbx
  • kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited February 2022

@pbx said:

It's decent but if you're getting slow speeds you may need to open a ticket with them and ask them to remove the so-called limit. It's a common practice but I'm pretty happy with my services there, still have a few deals I grabbed before they slightly increased their price and except a few network issues from maybe 3 years ago (which I messaged them about and they fixed extremely fast) the uptime and performance has been rock solid.

The double SSD storage is definitely tempting.

Thanked by 2jason5545 pbx
  • @kalimov622 said:

@pbx said:

It's decent but if you're getting slow speeds you may need to open a ticket with them and ask them to remove the so-called limit. It's a common practice but I'm pretty happy with my services there, still have a few deals I grabbed before they slightly increased their price and except a few network issues from maybe 3 years ago (which I messaged them about and they fixed extremely fast) the uptime and performance has been rock solid.

The double SSD storage is definitely tempting.

They dont remove limit, but make them higher. After some time it reverts back to stock limits tho from what we already observed on LET.

Still 400GB for this amount of money is amazing. Its faster than HDD, it has 8GB of ram, 32TB traffic... Good offer.

Thanked by 2jason5545 pbx
  • kalimov622kalimov622 Member
    edited February 2022

@AXYZE said: They dont remove limit, but make them higher. After some time it reverts back to stock limits tho from what we already observed on LET.

I'm only speaking for myself here, I still have the speeds after the limit removal and they did not return to stock limits. I did see some posts about this here on LET which is why I decided to check it from time to time and so far that did not change.

There are definitely way faster alternatives out there though, no doubt about that.

• @AXYZE said: Still 400GB for this amount of money is amazing. Its faster than HDD, it has 8GB of ram, 32TB traffic... Good offer.

Exactly: a lot can be done with these resources.

• US10 for a 8G 4CPU 400G 'SSD' sounds pretty decent in Singapore.

• But it is 200Mbit/s :/

• @add_iT said:
    But it is 200Mbit/s :/

More than adequate for most tasks. I stream 4k without encoding over Plex on the sys 250 mbps

Thanked by 3kkrajk vimalware jsg
  • nordinenordine Member
    edited February 2022

old hardware , 100 Mbit/s Port ... and sure there others things :)

• @nordine said:
    old hardware , 100 Mbit/s Port ... and sure there others things :)

Processor : AMD EPYC 7282 16-Core Processor

• @Astro said:

@add_iT said:

More than adequate for most tasks. I stream 4k without encoding over Plex on the sys 250 mbps

Yes

That is the only deal breaker for me

• @add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

• @Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Btw any similiar offer like contabo with same price but with 1Gbit/s minimal ?

Location does't matter

Looking something like 8GB ram <= 60 Euro /y

• @add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

Sounds like too good to be true.

• @add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

lol

• add_iTadd_iT Member
    edited February 2022

@jason5545 said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

lol

Are just contabo doing this deal best / better?

If yes i consider to buy it in a few month for some project

• @add_iT said:

@jason5545 said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

lol

Are just contabo doing this deal best / better?

If yes i consider to buy it in a few month for some project

In the price/spec, I think so.

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

We do have some pretty similar offers with Ryzen and 1 Gbps that would come close to your budget (5950X 8GB 120GB SSD 1 Gbps ~$8/month - it's listed on our website).

Other than that, ExtraVM has some ongoing specials. $10/month 16GB RAM E5-1660v3 500 Mbps Unmetered.
    https://extravm.com/billing/store/specials

TNAHosting also has some OVZ servers with 1 Gbps networking and large amounts of RAM for a cheap monthly price. $5/month 12GB RAM 500GB Disk 1 Gbps w/ 15TB Transfer
    https://tnahosting.net/billing/index.php/store/openvz-vps

I highly doubt you can find a deal better (or even equivalent) to Contabo, let alone one that includes 1 Gbps.

• I just ordered 1 vps from contabo for 1 year and i got this :) They say are obligated by law to perform customer data verification for each new customer. What law ? I never heard about this law to ask copy of id from customers !

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you very much for your order at Contabo. We received your payment and are setting up your account.

We are obligated by law to perform customer data verification for each new customer. To fulfill this duty, we need additional information from you.

First of all, we would kindly ask you to provide the following information again, just to make sure there are no typing errors causing the verification issue:

First name:
    Last name:
    Address:
    City:
    ZIP code:
    Telephone Number:

In addition to the above please also send us a document that proves the address. This could be:

1. A scan of your passport, driving license or national identity card.
    2. A scan of your telephone, electricity, or any other utility bill as long as it contains your name and the address mentioned above.

Please note that the provisioning of your order is on hold until you provide us this data. Once we received all relevant data from you, we will complete the verification process and we will continue the setup of your order right away.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your input in the process!

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2022

@SolidHost said:
    I just ordered 1 vps from contabo for 1 year and i got this :) They say are obligated by law to perform customer data verification for each new customer. What law ? I never heard about this law to ask copy of id from customers !

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you very much for your order at Contabo. We received your payment and are setting up your account.

We are obligated by law to perform customer data verification for each new customer. To fulfill this duty, we need additional information from you.

First of all, we would kindly ask you to provide the following information again, just to make sure there are no typing errors causing the verification issue:

First name:
    Last name:
    Address:
    City:
    ZIP code:
    Telephone Number:

In addition to the above please also send us a document that proves the address. This could be:

2. A scan of your telephone, electricity, or any other utility bill as long as it contains your name and the address mentioned above.

Please note that the provisioning of your order is on hold until you provide us this data. Once we received all relevant data from you, we will complete the verification process and we will continue the setup of your order right away.

Your cooperation is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your input in the process!

A lot of German providers do this, it's not really that new. Hetzner & NetCup both require a photo of your ID and maybe proof of residence to prevent fraud.

Quite interesting how Contabo asked you for ID though, back when I signed up they just required proof of residence (i.e. utility bill). I ended up sending them my server bill from another provider and they accepted it. I also know of some people who just didn't go through the fraud verification at all and was able to purchase a VPS from Contabo.

Maybe you ordered with a VPN? Maybe you were flagged as high risk?

• asking for ID? what?

• @SolidHost said:
    I just ordered 1 vps from contabo for 1 year and i got this :) They say are obligated by law to perform customer data verification for each new customer. What law ? I never heard about this law to ask copy of id from customers !

Dear Sir or Madam,

First name:
    Last name:
    Address:
    City:
    ZIP code:
    Telephone Number:

I didn't get this when I ordered.

• I am past customer.. i had 1 vps 2 years ago with them and i didn't renewed after 1 year.. Now i saw their ofer and wanted to use it to backup something but if they still ask for id i will cancel.

• @SolidHost said:
    I am past customer.. i had 1 vps 2 years ago with them and i didn't renewed after 1 year.. Now i saw their ofer and wanted to use it to backup something but if they still ask for id i will cancel.

I have the same situation like you, but I created a new account with the same email. My VPS was activated within few minutes and they did not ask for verification. May be my payment details were matching with me account.

• SolidHostSolidHost Member
    edited February 2022

I also created a new account with same email and same paypal account i used before and got that email after i did payment. I don't understand this ID verification they can simply call you and verify all information over the phone if they want but no.. lets ask for ids and proof of address so we can sell the data after. They should also ask for a selfie with ID to have them all!

• jason5545jason5545 Member
    edited February 2022

Seems misunderstood.

• @add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

@Astro said:

@add_iT said:

Yes

What's your use case?

YABS 24/7 B)

Location does't matter

netcup https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php
    I can give you discount code too, just hit me up on PM.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Generally if you use free email provider, they will ask for verification. If you use custom domain where there is business site on it, it will pass through given that you have not be flagged in fraud-check.

• @Saahib said:
    Generally if you use free email provider, they will ask for verification. If you use custom domain where there is business site on it, it will pass through given that you have not be flagged in fraud-check.

I was using Gmail, it's fine.