Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to expand our backup services
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

During the past year we have been selling backup storage plans (SFTP). We have launched three locations already (USA, Germany and Finland). How should we expand our backup services? Should we add more locations (such as Netherlands), or should we add some add-ons like borgbackup, webdav, etc.

1. How should we expand our backup services?111 votes
    1. Add more locations (Netherlands, etc)
      18.92%
    2. Add-ons (borgbackup, webdav, etc.)
      81.08%

Comments

• More services are better than more locations

For example, WebDAV

Thanked by 1NetDynamics24
  • I think other locations are better than alternative upload methods if you are already offering a fast and secure one.

• Better find someone else than Hetzner

• Triple replicated backup space?

• NetDynamics24NetDynamics24 Member, Host Rep

@evilmalamute said:
    Better find someone else than Hetzner

We work already with two different providers and we are going to work with a third one as well.

• I remember you had webdav listed as a feature. I think you ought to fix your current issues and get features like webdav working. Your offerings are already excellent but they just need to be refined. I'm a fan already but they could definitely be better.

• Add another location not in Europe….

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2022

can you do SSH, SFTP, FTP in 1 ? I am actually looking for backup space like that since rsync.net stopped the ftp side of things.

• Ignore that, just realised you do!

• It would help if you gave a bit more detail on the Backup services... Are they protected by RAID? which version? Are the backup servers duplicated elsewhere?

• I'd suggest a blockchain backup solution provided.

• get rid of (plain-text) ftp and provide webdav instead as standard

• I'm constantly searching for affordable backup solutions and throughout the years I've fallen in love with Borg and it's basically a must for me now. If you were to offer Borg servers with lots of storage space I'd definitely take a look!

• is it possible to provide S3 compatible API like minio?

• I can not find Finland as location on your site, so maybe make sure existing locations work before adding more.
    Featurewise, webdav is nice.

• Having borgbackup support would be great.

• borgbackup would be awesome

Looking for somebody to test our Borgbackup plans. He will have 3 months free service. Please contact me if you are interested in.

• ehabehab Member

@NetDynamics24 said:
    Looking for somebody to test our Borgbackup plans. He will have 3 months free service. Please contact me if you are interested in.

pm sent.

Thank you all for testing our Borgbackup plans and for your feedback. Seems to be working fine.

edited June 2022

So we finally decided to do both: We expanded to new locations (Germany, Finland, Arizona US, Utah US, Netherlands) and we also added Borgbackup to our new servers. Thank you all for your help.

• ehabehab Member

this calls for a new sales thread soon --- congrats :)

Thanked by 2NetDynamics24 Ympker
  • m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

Welcome to the club!

If you also plan on supporting the eco system around Borg, do get in touch with me. There are always some projects that could use sponsorship. Happy to hook you up, so we can all give back to the Open Source projects enabling out business.

Thanked by 1PearlMoon
  • cazrzcazrz Member

Im always interested on backup services. How is the users being isolated? Is this just a server with RAID0 using Virtualmin?

@cazrz said:
    Im always interested on backup services. How is the users being isolated? Is this just a server with RAID0 using Virtualmin?

The users are isolated through the control panel. We also have implemented some custom scripts. Some of our servers are on RAID-0 and some of them without RAID.

• adlyadly Veteran

@ehab said:

Not unless they cough up $200 for the “privilege”.

• ehabehab Member

@adly said:

@ehab said:

uhh i forgotten about that... no wonder it has been shite for offers at the front page.

Thanked by 2adly corbpie
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@NetDynamics24 said:

@cazrz said:

The users are isolated through the control panel. We also have implemented some custom scripts. Some of our servers are on RAID-0 and some of them without RAID.

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it virtualmin control panel? Are the users isolated per container or just virtual/directories like shared hosting?

@cazrz said:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is it virtualmin control panel? Are the users isolated per container or just virtual/directories like shared hosting?

It is Virtualmin/webmin and it is like shared hosting with some modifications from our side.

Thanked by 1cazrz
  • cazrzcazrz Member

@NetDynamics24 said:

@cazrz said:

It is Virtualmin/webmin and it is like shared hosting with some modifications from our side.

Ok thanks for the info.

• @adly said:

@ehab said:

They can come post it at the other forum