Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Launches New Free Workspace Plan - Google Workspace Essentials [but no Gmail]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Launches New Free Workspace Plan - Google Workspace Essentials [but no Gmail]

trycatchthistrycatchthis Member
edited February 2022 in General

Google Workspace Essential Plan

Tech Crunch Article

Google today announced a new version of Workspace, the company’s productivity service that you probably still refer to as G Suite. With the new — and free — Google Workspace Essentials plan, Google wants to bring more business users onto the platform by offering them the basic Workspace productivity tools — with the exception of Gmail.

Similar to the plan they are retiring but without Gmail and less storage [15GB instead of 30GB in their paid plan].

Given the fact that they retired the free grandfathered google workspace plan I don't think I will be signing up for this.

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock

Comments

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Enjoy while its free.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • Unlock collaboration with Google

...and then lock.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Is this free "forever"?

• @kendid said:
    Is this free "forever"?

Unless they lock you out ask for money in order to keep using it.

• @TheKiller said:

@kendid said:
    Is this free "forever"?

Isn't that called extorsion in some parallel universes?

• @TheKiller said:

@kendid said:
    Is this free "forever"?

Sign me up!!

• @kendid said:

@TheKiller said:

@kendid said:
    Is this free "forever"?

Sign me up!!

We already did, and you see where that got us :)

Thanked by 1kendid
  • Well, that's exactly the opposite of what I need.

Give me GMail, but leave out all of the other stuff, please.

Thanked by 3salakis kkrajk Cybr
  • salakissalakis Member
    edited February 2022

I'm really not sure who the target group of this plan would be? It's a very crippled product, topped with the uncertainty of being discontinued again.

Either you're a very low end business and handle this collaboration stuff with personal Gmail or you go the extra mile for proper Google Workspace.

Still nowhere near to a solution for personal accounts just requiring decent email. I guess that iCloud+ will be the eventual outcome in my case.

• @aj_potc said:
    Well, that's exactly the opposite of what I need.

Give me GMail, but leave out all of the other stuff, please.

Right? I guess my family will be happy about play store purchases and their youtube history or something, but I really didn't want to deal with email. I guess mxroute it is.

• Yeah, this is silly.

I'm okay with paying for something. But how about giving us the ability to have "full" accounts, with mail and all of the collaboration stuff, as well as limited, "GMail-only" accounts for a reduced price?

• I don't care about Gmail but I needed to maintain my access to their marketing platform, drive and cloud console stuff. I hope this is possible with this new plan.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are many similar tools. You can have your own suite including email at the price of a cheap VM. The only problem would be reliability. Back-up often.

• Isn't this the same set of tools/access you'll get for a user that's registered for Google Workspace but do not have a paid license assigned (e.g. Google Cloud Identity Free)?

• iNanjaiNanja Member
    edited February 2022

Has anyone here actually transferred their legacy accounts to this Google Workspace Essentials? Is it a rather smooth transition, or do you have to enter a new email on signup, since you already have that domain linked to a legacy account?

• @iNanja said:
    Has anyone here actually transferred their legacy accounts to this Google Workspace Essentials?

Why would you want to, with no email it is pointless, or am I missing something?

• iNanjaiNanja Member
    edited February 2022

@Binaryzero said:

@iNanja said:
    Has anyone here actually transferred their legacy accounts to this Google Workspace Essentials?

Why would you want to, with no email it is pointless, or am I missing something?

To register for Google Workspace Essentials you need an email, but that email will already be registered to my legacy account. Will legacy and essentials not conflict with each other? Since they offer totally different services. I don't need the email part, because I signed up for free cloudflare email routing and send it to a free gmail.

• @iNanja said:
    Has anyone here actually transferred their legacy accounts to this Google Workspace Essentials? Is it a rather smooth transition, or do you have to enter a new email on signup, since you already have that domain linked to a legacy account?

You can literally add that Cloud Identity Free license to your account, then unassign the legacy free license. It's the same thing.

Thanked by 1Falzo