Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servarica's new unlimited storage plan is quite interesting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Servarica's new unlimited storage plan is quite interesting

Just saw a new tier added, different price with different base storage and daily increment. This just reminded me of the Gmail launch days with daily increased storage. Quite nostalgic.

Comments

• I'm just going to pick this up. Pretty great.

• these are grow-as-you-pay plans.

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

How does it grow tho... The disk size may grow but how would the file system know? It's fine when it's something like cPanel cause the file system is same just the user is allotted a certain amount of space. But when you're running your own fs, How does it know to grow itself everyday? You wouldn't want to grow it unattended on a cron either.

• @typicalGtaTG said:
    How does it grow tho... The disk size may grow but how would the file system know? It's fine when it's something like cPanel cause the file system is same just the user is allotted a certain amount of space. But when you're running your own fs, How does it know to grow itself everyday? You wouldn't want to grow it unattended on a cron either.

@servarica_hani

• Immediatelly pump in 1 exabyte of data and test how far you can go before blatant lies and excuses comes in.

There is no unlimited storage. Ask amazon.

Thanked by 2Alireza o_be_one
  • @LTniger said:
    Immediatelly pump in 1 exabyte of data and test how far you can go before blatant lies and excuses comes in.

Did you ever read how it's 'unlimited'?

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • @Astro said:

@LTniger said:
    Immediatelly pump in 1 exabyte of data and test how far you can go before blatant lies and excuses comes in.

Yes, I did. You can script a method to fill up 'daily increase' up to 99%. And do that until 1 exabyte.

• kennsannkennsann Member
    edited January 2022

Unlimited Storage plan is $550/yr = 8TB start and at the end of year its 13.457TB. Which is about $3.405/TB/Month calculating at the end of the term.

vs

Their regular mammoth plan is $264/yr = 8TB (only has 8TB BW though), is about $2.75/TB/Month

It will take you years before you beat the price of the mammoth and the savings you could have gotten if you chose the latter. Pretty sure its the same with the smaller unlimited storage plans. Im not sure what Im missing here.

My 2 cents.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@LTniger said:

@Astro said:

@LTniger said:

Yes, I did. You can script a method to fill up 'daily increase' up to 99%. And do that until 1 exabyte.

This is likely a legitimate service.
    You start with 3TB and gain 1TB every year.
    Essentially, the provider is betting on the storage pricing decreasing over time.
    If they bet wrong, either there's a Hetzner-style price increase or provider deadpools and you lose all your data.

Thanked by 2bulbasaur default
  • @kennsann said:
    Unlimited Storage plan is $550/yr = 8TB start and at the end of year its 13.457TB. Which is about $3.405/TB/Month calculating at the end of the term.

vs

Their regular mammoth plan is $264/yr = 8TB (only has 8TB BW though), is about $2.75/TB/Month

It will take you years before you beat the price of the mammoth and the savings you could have gotten if you chose the latter. Pretty sure its the same with the smaller unlimited storage plans. Im not sure what Im missing here.

My 2 cents.

For the other two plans

Cheapest:

2nd year - 4 TB - 3.12/TB/month
    3 - 5 TB - 2.5/T/M
    4 - 6 TB - 2.08/T/M

Middle plan
    2nd year - 6TB - 3.5/T/M
    3 - 8TB - 2.6/T/M
    4 - 10 TB - 2.10/T/M

Thanked by 1JasonM
  • Also, if you get their "long" BF deals Polar Bear 2TB or Killer Whale 3.5TB, then it's only 2$/TB/M

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited January 2022

@typicalGtaTG said: How does it grow tho... The disk size may grow but how would the file system know?

It says that right on their webpage:

No, the server will never run out of space because all our storage offers we decoupled storage from compute servers,
    that mean usually your VPS is running on a server while your storage is actually in another 1 or more servers (servers specially built to have many disks with enough power and cooling),
    The hypervisor (the compute server) run NFS to access the storage servers and offer the storage to the vps
    That mean we can have a VPS with 500TB disk space on a compute server that have very little disk as long as this compute server can access 1 or more storage servers with enough space for 500TB

• Interesting offering. They run all their storage on a SAN - the disks are all on a large storage device rather than in each individual server - which would make it easier to do this as they would just need to add new disks to the SAN rather than each individual server.

• This seems nice, but like others have said, you'd need to have it for several years in order to beat the existing mammoth plans. Seems like an interesting idea, I'll pick one up if they ever decide to run a promo (or give an option to add the unlimited disk growth into existing promo plans"

Thanked by 1servarica_hani
  • :) Sounds good, waiting for promo

• Some of you guys compare it with Mammoth and other VPS offers. In my opinion it could be better than that.

If @servarica_hani wants to go on storage marketing path, they could probably do it better by using a stripped-down Shared Hosting Unlimited service (without hosting website or email, just data over FTP/SFTP). This way of adding space every day is great, but on a shared hosting plan could way better, because @servarica_hani manages the service, while people get to enjoy storage without worrying about underlying operating system, packages or partitions.

The problem with such storage is that it's risky, as @yoursunny identified. Right now it may be cheap; technology evolves and it get cheaper (per TB) every year, as larger capacities get discovered. However old drives fail and after a few years they need replacement. Sometimes even another storage-cryptocurrency may arise. In the end it all becomes a bet on future, based on current market consumption, trend, and development.

Anyway: great idea @servarica_hani - and I appreciate your enthusiasm plus dedication.

Thanked by 1servarica_hani

@stevewatson301 said:

@typicalGtaTG said: How does it grow tho... The disk size may grow but how would the file system know?

It says that right on their webpage:

No, the server will never run out of space because all our storage offers we decoupled storage from compute servers,
    that mean usually your VPS is running on a server while your storage is actually in another 1 or more servers (servers specially built to have many disks with enough power and cooling),
    The hypervisor (the compute server) run NFS to access the storage servers and offer the storage to the vps
    That mean we can have a VPS with 500TB disk space on a compute server that have very little disk as long as this compute server can access 1 or more storage servers with enough space for 500TB

I understand that they have a separate server for the storage, But the file system needs to know that it has more space doesn't it? For example when you make a vm on proxmox and then decide to increase the disk space, You have to manually grow the fs on your vm or when you migrate an RPi to another SD, let's say from 16GB to 32, You have to run the raspi-config command. Similar goes for many cloud providers like AWS, GCP etc.

It's not very unsustainable either since even on the $15 plan, it's like 1TB/yr. It's avery cool imo, But I need a better understanding of this. The fs running on the VM doesn't know that more space is available does it?

Apologies, If I'm missing something here.

• @typicalGtaTG said:
    I understand that they have a separate server for the storage, But the file system needs to know that it has more space doesn't it?

Why are you so confused about this? It's not magic. You already said the answer.

You have to manually grow the fs on your vm

• @typicalGtaTG said: You have to manually grow the fs

A matter of few bash lines and a CRON once a day. Manual labor is not the way lazy person live.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @LTniger said:

@typicalGtaTG said: You have to manually grow the fs

A matter of few bash lines and a CRON once a day. Manual labor is not the way lazy person live.

Correct, but not many know how to do it, yet they all want self storage.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

If it's hard for the average user to figure out how to use the increases that's even better. The average user further subsidizes the power user and the margins look even better. Doesn't even need to be practical if it gets people's deal radar going.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its not unlimited, there is a limit, why that bait title?

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@LTniger said:

@typicalGtaTG said: You have to manually grow the fs

I've had enough fs related stuff when I've left it unattended, I don't think anyone should grow fs unattended. Especially if you are storing large amounts of data. Maybe if people are willing, you could log in every month and claim your 90gigs.

• debaserdebaser Member
    edited January 2022

@LTniger said:

@Astro said:

@LTniger said:

Sure. This will of course take you 2,190,097 months on the most expensive plan. Meaning that when you've copied over 1 exabyte you've already paid @servarica_hani $ 109,504,850.

I surely do hope you will live another 182,508 years.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @servarica_hani any plans on IPv6-only offering on these, like the Opposum?
    I have no need for IP4 addresses so if it cuts the price a bit I'm all for it. :smile:

• Bring back Mouse storage uwu

• Now I cant decide if I am better off buying the large 8TB storage offer or paying for the lowest increasing storage.

• bdlbdl Member

@cybertech said:
    these are grow-as-you-pay plans.

reminds me of a girl I once knew

Thanked by 3Astro cybertech kkrajk
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 2022

@debaser said:

That is not a problem. Jeff Bezos is already researching immortality. I am just not sure if Servarica will live that long though.

• @default said:

@debaser said:

That is not a problem. Jeff Bezos is already researching immortality. I am just not sure if Servarica will live that long though.

When Jeff Bezos researches something, he's only doing hit for himself.