Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7

Hi All,

I have an app requirement that requires Tomcat latest version to be available and accessible via the YUM repository.

Can someone guide how I can achieve that?

Thanks

Comments

• What repo would you expect to be pulling that from?

• @Damian said:
    What repo would you expect to be pulling that from?

I dont find any link, all I have is https://downloads.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-9/v9.0.56/bin/

Any idea what should be done?

• The Harbottle repo has it, I used it a few years ago.
    https://gitlab.com/harbottle/harbottle-main

Thanked by 1imgmoney
  • I have added this repo, but the app still throwing errors saying tomcat is the old version on the YUM repository. I want to make YUM use the latest version of the Tomcat by disabling the older version.

• You probably installed the 'tomcat' package from Centos' repo. You need to install the 'tomcat9' package instead.

• imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited January 2022

I have not installed tomcat. I want to completely remove the tomcat 7 from the centos repo and make the system use the latest tomcat when we use yum install tomcat.

When I am trying to install an RPM that has the dependency of the latest Tomcat Package, I get this error.

• Centos doesn't provide tomcat version 9 in its repo. I don't know any third party repo that provides tomcat version 9 as a drop down replacement for the 'tomcat' package.

In this situation I would probably try and build tomcat's rpm myself, probably reusing the srpm from Fedora which has version 9.

Or just use a distro which has the version 9 in its repositories. Like Fedora.

• @imgmoney said:
    Hi All,

I have an app requirement that requires Tomcat latest version to be available and accessible via the YUM repository.

Can someone guide how I can achieve that?

Thanks

What's the deal with people not asking questions as questions?

FYI
    "How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7" - provides details on adding TC9 to centos.

"How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7?" - asks how to add TC9 to centos.

You'll be ignored by a good chunk of people thinking you have the answer already.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint dystopia
  • imgmoneyimgmoney Member
    edited January 2022

@TimboJones said: You'll be ignored by a good chunk of people thinking you have the answer already.

Right, that is my mistake. Will rectify this in future.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@TimboJones said:

FYI
    "How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7" - provides details on adding TC9 to centos.

You'll be ignored by a good chunk of people thinking you have the answer already.

What's the deal with people not paying attention to categories?

"How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7" in Tutorials category - provides details on adding TC9 to centos.

"How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7" in Help category - asks how to add TC9 to centos.

You'll be ignored by a good chunk of people in either case because Java+Tomcat is crappy.
    The cool kids are using ECMAScript+Koa.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur
  • @yoursunny said:

@TimboJones said:

FYI

What's the deal with people not paying attention to categories?

"How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7" in Tutorials category - provides details on adding TC9 to centos.

"How to add Tomcat 9 package to Yum CentOS 7" in Help category - asks how to add TC9 to centos.

No, the category doesn't negate the need for question mark. The question mark reflects the content, not category. The content is still asking for help, not providing it. Threads could start out in "Help" and moved to "Tutorial" once answer supplied.

Thanked by 1imgmoney
  • @imgmoney said: yum install tomcat

If yum install tomcat9 didn't work.

https://git.centos.org/rpms/tomcat/blob/c7/f/SPECS/tomcat.spec

Update macros defining version numbers, remove patch lines, update build requires to match dependency for tomcat 9.