Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 Addresses
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 Addresses

Hello everyone,

Does anyone currently use IPv6 for public web apps or anything similar? I've been thinking about what other people currently use IPv6 for. I currently use IPv6 for my lava link server to prevent rate limits from happening.

Comments

• stratagemstratagem Member, Host Rep

You can use IPv6 for damn near anything you're using IPv4 for, so use it on everything!

Thanked by 2jmgcaguicla skorous
  • I'm assigning ipv6 to anything public AND private. Each device has it's own IP address reachable with ipv6.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

My push-ups delivery network is interconnected over IPv6 addresses.
    It comprises of a set of software content routers that can cache content such as push-up videos.
    Each content router is a Docker container.
    By using IPv6, I can assign public IP address directly to the container, avoiding the complexity of NAT and port forwarding.

LAX (VirMach) doesn't have IPv6.
    MIA (Hostodo @Hassan) frequently sees IPv6/UDP session drops for unknown reason.
    These two nodes are still connected to others using IPv6 addresses, but the traffic goes over IPv4 in SIT tunnels.
    It's the same kind of tunnel that TunnelBroker.net offers, but the SIT tunnels are configured directly toward the neighbor node, so that it doesn't have to go through Hurricane Electric network.

SEA (@SpartanHost) is where I must use IPv6.
    Their IPv4 has DDoS protection, blocking any UDP traffic that has IPv4 fragmentation.
    I want to keep IPv4 DDoS protection and also use IP fragments, so that any UDP traffic to this node must use IPv6.
    Note: on the map you'll see SEA in the Pacific instead of in Seattle; it's artificially modified to influence algorithm to pick this node for viewers in China, until I can optimize the algorithm for this case.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@stratagem said:
    You can use IPv6 for damn near anything you're using IPv4 for, so use it on everything!

IPv6:

Thanked by 1stratagem
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2022

Dualstack, everything else is insane.
    IPv6 in 2022 is still experimental.

If you configured it decent, you have a 2-3s failover via wireguard.

• @Neoon said:

I don't know. My primary network uses IPv6 and I haven't seen any major performance issues. Of course it falls back to IPv4 if it fails, but the fact that it does everything I do right now through IPv4 is great.

Thanked by 2skorous bulbasaur
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Neoon said:

I don't know. My primary network uses IPv6 and I haven't seen any major performance issues. Of course it falls back to IPv4 if it fails, but the fact that it does everything I do right now through IPv4 is great.

Performance nah, its just out of the sudden its dead.
    So kinda unstable, I like it when I get better routes via v6.

However, single IPv6 does still not sound like a good idea.
    If you have failback or failover yes

• My web server is dual stack, each domain has its own IPv6 address. Home network is IPv6 first with all public facing services listening on IPv6 only with no port forwarding on IPv4 (default firewall)

Thanked by 1xms
  • @Neoon said:

@HalfEatenPie said:

@Neoon said:

Performance nah, its just out of the sudden its dead.
    So kinda unstable, I like it when I get better routes via v6.

However, single IPv6 does still not sound like a good idea.
    If you have failback or failover yes

You know what that's perfectly understandable and fair. Yeah I get ya. I guess I've really changed my tune on IPv6 because my current ISP has (surprisingly) done a decent job around here in supporting IPv6 and has a pretty decent network for it.

• You know what that's perfectly understandable and fair. Yeah I get ya. I guess I've really changed my tune on IPv6 because my current ISP has (surprisingly) done a decent job around here in supporting IPv6 and has a pretty decent network for it.

All ISPs near me to my knowledge still have yet to support IPv6 sadly, I've been trying to find an alternative to still have IPv6 on my home network, however I haven't found one yet.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

IPv6 is like TMobile in the US. It works fine, easily comparable to IPv4, and doesn't exist in rural areas 😂

Thanked by 2wcypierre themew

@jar said:
    IPv6 is like TMobile in the US. It works fine, easily comparable to IPv4, and doesn't exist in rural areas 😂

If you have an actual, non-MVNO, T-Mobile USA SIM card, it will pick up Commnet Wireless and sometimes AT&T signal in rural areas.
    Set your phone to LTE/UMTS auto PRL mode and it will register.

In true rural areas, there's no signal from any carrier.
    If your vehicle breaks down, you are dead.

• edited January 2022

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:

If you have an actual, non-MVNO, T-Mobile USA SIM card, it will pick up Commnet Wireless and sometimes AT&T signal in rural areas.

Nah, when there is no signal, meaning you are in remote area, not in rural area. Rural meaning you still meet kind of civilization there.

• Anyone know when github support IPv6?

Thanked by 1xms
    edited January 2022

@Smilence said:
    Anyone know when github support IPv6?

GitHub Pages has IPv6.
    The rest of GitHub is on No IPv6 hall of shame.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2022

@yoursunny said:

@jar said:

In east Texas it doesn't at least. In fact I have this one spot in Hallsville that's full coverage on their map, but when you drive through it you lose all service for 30-60 seconds until you negotiate with the next tower. Tons of dead spots like it while Verizon and AT&T do circles around them.

But I'm banned from Verizon now because I called a woman on their exec team a cunt so I only have AT&T left. In my defense she was being one, she made up a huge elaborate story just to justify not fixing a broken service feature. I guess $600/m wasn't enough to justify not being a cunt.

• @jar said:
    But I'm banned from Verizon now because I called a woman on their exec team a cunt so I only have AT&T left. In my defense she was being one, she made up a huge elaborate story just to justify not fixing a broken service feature. I guess $600/m wasn't enough to justify not being a cunt.

Being a cunt was probably a requirement to being a Verizon executive.

Thanked by 3FrankZ jar skorous
  • @jar said: But I'm banned from Verizon now because I called a woman on their exec team a cunt so I only have AT&T left

If you decide to call an exec at AT&T a cunt, will they just say they already know and double your next month bill?

Thanked by 1jar