Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers | how you monitoring all your nodes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers | how you monitoring all your nodes?

I have buy many VPS's because of promotions that are going here.

This video just pop up at my youtube:

I will try to do something similar to monitor my VPS's

Comments

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited January 2022
    Thanked by 2lanefu JasonM
  • For general purpose I use HetrixTools and for specific needs influxdata.

• LibreNMS

• Zabbix

Thanked by 1leapswitch
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1brejski
  • scotticlesscotticles Member
    edited January 2022

zabbix! and my easyping :/

• Always making sure the blue hearts stay blue

Thanked by 3yoursunny dystopia paco
  • @deank said:
    The end is nigh.

i thought you say that when someone is about to get banned

• Node-exporter + Prometheus

Also uptime robot for critical things

Thanked by 1lentro
  • LeifurGunnarssonLeifurGunnarsson Member, Host Rep

You can use open source projects like Grafana and or services like HetrixTools / UptimeRobot. Grafana is a bit more enthusiast / admin oriented while HT and UR are more of for the public hosting provider view, either way both work wonders.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Zabbix + Uptimerobot + LibreNMS + Observium + self-developed Netflow scripting

You can never have enough monitoring :smile:

Thanked by 2lanefu _MS_
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@leapswitch said: LibreNMS + Observium

What's the benefit of having LibreNMS and Observium? Isn't LibreNMS just a well maintained fork of Observium?

We use LibreNMS and love it, though I've used Observium in the past.

• Wow, we got a lot of bots here

• @leapswitch said:
    Zabbix + Uptimerobot + LibreNMS + Observium + self-developed Netflow scripting

You can never have enough monitoring :smile:

Yes Man i monitor my monitoring tools.

• HetrixTools

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

We're using node-exporter + own exporters together with prometheus running in a geo redundant cluster setup, metrics are written for long term storage in victoriametrics as remote_write from prometheus. Previously we used icinga2 as well as collectd + influxdb, wouldnt want to go back :-)

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@MannDude said:

@leapswitch said: LibreNMS + Observium

What's the benefit of having LibreNMS and Observium? Isn't LibreNMS just a well maintained fork of Observium?

We use LibreNMS and love it, though I've used Observium in the past.

Librenms integrates with WHMCS for automated bandwidth alerts and invoicing.

Observium acts as a transparency mechanism to ensure the Librenms data is correct. Also, Observium UI is much nicer :smile:

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • Netdata

• Yeah but LibreNMS and Observium are both pulling from the same data source (SNMP), so at the end of the day they should both be the same.

I used to be a massive Observium fan, but after a while finally migrated my Observium instance to LibreNMS and haven't really looked back.

• Good old Nagios, anyone?

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • @redgreenblue said:
    Good old Nagios, anyone?

I wonder how Icinga2 squares up

• Use whatever gets the job done. You will usually find that there is not one single solution that gives you everything you want.

Personally I collect data with Icinga, Naemon and node_exporter, store it in Prometheus, pnp and Influx and visualize it with Grafana.
    Some services also export json data that I parse and put into Prometheus or Influx.
    Some of my customers run Nagios or Naemon and some pretty massive LibreNMS installations.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@redgreenblue said:
    Good old Nagios, anyone?

I wonder how Icinga2 squares up

I would say that with Icinga the limitations are not with Icinga, it's with the user.
    The learning curve is steep, but once you master it you can monitor basically anything.

• @rcy026 said:

I would say that with Icinga the limitations are not with Icinga, it's with the user.
    The learning curve is steep, but once you master it you can monitor basically anything.

I've heard of that. I haven't dedicated any time to fully wrap my head around it, but it's been on my list. What's your opinion of Icinga2 vs Icinga?

Also what's the biggest difference between Icinga and Nagios? Especially since Icinga is originally a fork of Nagios.

I think the closest I got around to Nagios/Icinga1 ecosystem was setting up and using Centreon.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

@rcy026 said:

I've heard of that. I haven't dedicated any time to fully wrap my head around it, but it's been on my list. What's your opinion of Icinga2 vs Icinga?

If you by Icinga mean Icinga1, it's dead. Nobody even talks about it anymore.

Also what's the biggest difference between Icinga and Nagios? Especially since Icinga is originally a fork of Nagios.

Nagios is basically just a core, a very basic daemon that schedules and executes commands. With Icinga you get a bit more, such as the Director, Web, integrations with ldap, vsphere etc. Automation is the key in Icinga, if you set it up correctly you will most likely never even look at Icinga itself, things will "just happen" whenever you install something new somewhere.
    However, the core itself is not that different, Icinga will seamlessly run any plugin that works under Nagios etc.

I think the closest I got around to Nagios/Icinga1 ecosystem was setting up and using Centreon.

Never used Centreon, but my guess is that it's just another pre-packed Nagios, like OP5 or similar.

• @rcy026 said: Never used Centreon, but my guess is that it's just another pre-packed Nagios, like OP5 or similar.

Yep pretty much. It's a web interface for Nagios.

@rcy026 said: If you by Icinga mean Icinga1, it's dead. Nobody even talks about it anymore.

Gotcha. Last time I checked Icinga it was right after they announced Icinga2 and how it was supposed to be very different from Icinga1/Nagios.

@rcy026 said: Nagios is basically just a core, a very basic daemon that schedules and executes commands. With Icinga you get a bit more, such as the Director, Web, integrations with ldap, vsphere etc. Automation is the key in Icinga, if you set it up correctly you will most likely never even look at Icinga itself, things will "just happen" whenever you install something new somewhere.

However, the core itself is not that different, Icinga will seamlessly run any plugin that works under Nagios etc.

Sounds like I'm gonna need to give Icinga2 another look sooner rather than later. I've been using LibreNMS with a combination of a few custom scripts (SNMP just makes everything so much easier).

The original manual for Icinga2 was also pretty dense at the time, but then again I was 5/6 years dumber. Might be worth a re-read now. Thanks for the insights.

• redgreenblueredgreenblue Member
    edited January 2022

My experience would be along the lines of what @rcy026 mentioned -- Nagios (and Icinga2) are both extremely flexible. Running with Nagios to monitor ~200 machines (internal production workload) for work.

• @HalfEatenPie said:

Sounds like I'm gonna need to give Icinga2 another look sooner rather than later. I've been using LibreNMS with a combination of a few custom scripts (SNMP just makes everything so much easier).

The original manual for Icinga2 was also pretty dense at the time, but then again I was 5/6 years dumber. Might be worth a re-read now. Thanks for the insights.

Remember that the learning curve is pretty step, it takes a while to get the hang of it. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't make any sense at all at first, because it probably will not. :smile:

Thanked by 1HalfEatenPie
  • h2oh2o Member

An old software: Ganglia
    Here's mine

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

@redgreenblue said:
    Good old Nagios, anyone?

Nagios here also.