Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

personal PLEX streaming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

personal PLEX streaming?

VZ Type:
Linux? ubuntu 20

Number of Cores:
RAM: 1 GB is fine, i can add a SWAP 1G
Disk Space: 10-20GB or less, mostly all mounted in Gdrive/onedrive
Disk Type: HDD

Bandwidth: 2TB
Port Speed: 100 MBPS

DDoS Protection: No i guess, i might just whitelist my home IPs.

Number of IPs:
My home IPs are dynamic, but simultaneous connections should be 2 IPs

Budget: $3-$5

Billing period: monthly

Currently hosted my set up on Oracle free. But cannot stream DTS audios.
Need one for streaming on plex, from Gdrive mounted drive, rarely remuxes, mostly encodes.
3 users max, Im not sharing or reselling to 100 users for bragging rights.

I found buyvm, liteserver, any more options?

Comments

• ManishPantManishPant Member, Host Rep

Digitalocean , Linode are in India and you can get it for $5 but you will get only one IP . nexusbytes.com @seriesn for Europe

• Grab something of kimsufi and you’ll be good to go

• I believe if your client device support DTS audio, all the matter is only edit plex server configuration.

Thanked by 2morreke the_doctor
  • If you disable transcoding on Plex settings and use a client that supports most video/audio formats like Kodi. You could easily run it with 512MB RAM.

• ericlsericls Member, Patron Provider

I have a server in my basement for plex

Thanked by 2the_doctor hhkkbb
  • I dont think the reason u cannot stream dts audio is due to u are using oracle. If ur plex is trancoding, it is mostly because of client.

Better be sure what you really need before making purchase.

Thanked by 2the_doctor hhkkbb
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@hhkkbb said:
    VZ Type:
    Linux? ubuntu 20

Ubuntu is not a virtualization type.
    Your choices are: KVM, Xen, HyperV, VMware, OpenVZ6, OpenVZ7, LXC.
    When in doubt, choose KVM.

Number of IPs:
    My home IPs are dynamic, but simultaneous connections should be 2 IPs

How many IPs would be connecting has nothing to do with how many IPs needed on the server.

If it's private use, you can choose between 1 IP or NAT only.

Join the Nigh Sect and get an account on their secret Plex server, so that you don't have to setup your own.
    Nigh Sect leader has been denying the existence of this secret Plex server, but a former Nigh Sect member mentioned it.

Thanked by 2ariq01 the_doctor
  • Budget is way too small. Perhaps if you paid yearly, phpfriends/netcup special could suit your needs.

• @chocolateshirt said:
    I believe if your client device support DTS audio, all the matter is only edit plex server configuration.

My devise does support it, but I cannot get plex to direct play, it just transcodes, I have end up re-encoding DTS audio to eac3 to play smoothly :( :neutral: :disappointed:

• @allthemtings said:
    Grab something of kimsufi and you’ll be good to go

they start with $6 ?
    Im interested but honestly im not ready to drown in setting up a personal seedbox.

• @hhkkbb said:

@allthemtings said:

they start with $6 ?
    Im interested but honestly im not ready to drown in setting up a personal seedbox.

I have a Servarica Flying Fish SSD VM that I am thinking of transferring. Its $48 year. The account also has $43 of credits. Since the offers are still available on the site. I intend on letting it go for much lower with credits included. Maybe $70 including the machine and credits. So basically you are getting the machine for two years for much below your $5 budget.

• @hhkkbb said: Im interested but honestly im not ready to drown in setting up a personal seedbox.

If you are interested, why not start simple? Get the Kimsufi, choose from a recent OS, configure auto-patching and setup rtorrent - plenty of guides to get you started. There's not much to do unless you want to get fancy...

• @craigb said:

@hhkkbb said: Im interested but honestly im not ready to drown in setting up a personal seedbox.

If you are interested, why not start simple? Get the Kimsufi, choose from a recent OS, configure auto-patching and setup rtorrent - plenty of guides to get you started. There's not much to do unless you want to get fancy...

Swizzin is the easiest way to get this running in 10 mins.

• @hhkkbb said:

@allthemtings said:

they start with $6 ?

Yeah the cheapest ks1 will be plenty to get you started

• edited January 2022

@hhkkbb said:

@chocolateshirt said:
    I believe if your client device support DTS audio, all the matter is only edit plex server configuration.

My devise does support it, but I cannot get plex to direct play, it just transcodes, I have end up re-encoding DTS audio to eac3 to play smoothly :( :neutral: :disappointed:

You need to modify plex configuration file. But this setting will affect global client devices that connected to your server.

EDIT: Even you change plex server you will get the same result unless you change the config file.

• @BarkingIron said:

@craigb said:

@hhkkbb said: Im interested but honestly im not ready to drown in setting up a personal seedbox.

Swizzin is the easiest way to get this running in 10 mins.

I have swizzin installed, without rtorrent, only sonarr radarr plex and rclone.

• chocolateshirt said:

hhkkbb said:

chocolateshirt said:

You need to modify plex configuration file. But this setting will affect global client devices that connected to your server.

EDIT: Even you change plex server you will get the same result unless you change the config file.

Any guide i can read on the modification of server config? Interested in this.

• ariq01ariq01 Member
    edited January 2022

If i'm in APAC (ID/SG), is it still good to have plex server in Europe/US? or is it bad? since it will have 130ms+ latency

• @ariq01 said:
    If i'm in APAC (ID/SG), is it still good to have plex server in Europe/US? or is it bad? since it will have 130ms+ latency

I am in APAC and my SYS server in Germany is great

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • edited January 2022

@forces said:

chocolateshirt said:

hhkkbb said:

chocolateshirt said:

You can read this article: https://mostlyirrelevant.info/force-plex-to-download-sync-videos-without-transcoding/

Then adjust the DTS audio to DirectPlay section. Always backup your profile before made any change.

@ariq01 said:

If your ISP have good peering to EU/US then it should be no issue, you can always maxed out your home network bandwidth. The difference between EU/US and APAC (SG) is the initial play and seeking time delay that will take longer time due to more latency and decreasing network bandwidth to EU/US. Other than that, all is well..

Thanked by 2ariq01 hhkkbb
  • forcesforces Member
    edited January 2022

@chocolateshirt said:

You can read this article: https://mostlyirrelevant.info/force-plex-to-download-sync-videos-without-transcoding/

Then adjust the DTS audio to DirectPlay section. Always backup your profile before made any change.

This is perfect, i have an additional subtitles configuration that can add to the profile
    SubtitleProfile container="ass" codec="ass" />
    SubtitleProfile container="srt" codec="srt" />
    SubtitleProfile container="pgs" codec="pgs" />

Now everything works directplay for me.

• Great

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @chocolateshirt said: Then adjust the DTS audio to DirectPlay section

How to add this line ?? and where ?