Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the easiest way to accept card payments directly?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

afnafn Member
edited January 2022 in General

Hi
I do occasional freelance tasks and sometimes my clients are from countries (middle east) where using PayPal to pay for services does not work properly, and the guest checkout option does not work in all countries.

Since a lot of people here are accepting card payements directly, I thought someone might have a suggestion to accept card payments directly (hopefully for a low fee or at least that does not exceed PayPal's). Also, I don't have a registered business, is there a payment solution that I can use without being a company?

I heard about stripe, they seem to charge the same fees as PayPal but I don't know if I can register as an individual...

Thanks in advance

P.S Wise (transferwise): same problem

Comments

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

You can try asking for their credit card then go shop with it for the amount they owe you. It's no fees also

• afnafn Member

@ezeth said: You can try asking for their credit card then go shop with it for the amount they owe you. It's no fees also

I actually did that once :joy: the client has one of these "one time internet card" option from his bank, though, I can't ask everyone for their card just like that

Thanked by 1Logano
  • I heard TransferWise is much cheaper in term of fees, but I haven't used it myself.

• afnafn Member
    edited January 2022

@comXyz said: I heard TransferWise is much cheaper in term of fees, but I haven't used it myself.

Wise is great in terms of fees. But, same problem... mainly supported in EU/US, does not support a lot of countries I deal with

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I am being a troll here.

If you care for the long term, setting up a merchant account at your favorite bank will go a long way.

Or you can be a dick and sell your soul to OPalPay.

Thanked by 1afn
  • Payoneer? I also do freelance work and get paid via Payoneer. What I like about it is that the fee is always the same (3USD) no matter the amount you receive unlike PayPal. You can use it without being a company

Thanked by 2afn Logano
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Try Paysend or service like Stripe (alternative availability in EU)

• @zutomayo said:
    Payoneer? I also do freelance work and get paid via Payoneer. What I like about it is that the fee is always the same (3USD) no matter the amount you receive unlike PayPal. You can use it without being a company

Having dealed with it through eBay sales. It was by far not as convenient as PayPal and didn't appear as professional (and PayPal is already at a quite low level).

• @afn said:
    I heard about stripe, they seem to charge the same fees as PayPal but I don't know if I can register as an individual...

I have an old Stripe account that is registered as an individual, so I think you can do the same.

• Every business provides a paid service to operate have to pay some expenses like office rent/ electric bill and communications , payment fees, advertising and servers etc

For me I don’t think all the 5% goes to paypal or stripe since they pay some for the visa/mastercard 1.7%+30c also they handle fake accounts/credit card risks etc,,

For me I have used both PayPal and stripe, if you are providing a legit service you will be more than happy with them.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Stripe supports individuals in some countries. You might have to register as a Sole Proprietor and get some sort of registration number. Varies across countries.

Most if not all of Stripe's competitors require a corporate entity.

What's the average transaction size? Since you already have a Wise account, you could ask your customers to pay you by bank wire. If they send by SWIFT, make sure they select "OUR" as fee type so that none of the bank fees are charged to you. Obviously not ideal for smaller invoices.

• bshbsh Member

@afn said:

Here it is

• serversupportzserversupportz Member, Host Rep

@afn said:
    Hi
    I do occasional freelance tasks and sometimes my clients are from countries (middle east) where using PayPal to pay for services does not work properly, and the guest checkout option does not work in all countries.

Since a lot of people here are accepting card payements directly, I thought someone might have a suggestion to accept card payments directly (hopefully for a low fee or at least that does not exceed PayPal's). Also, I don't have a registered business, is there a payment solution that I can use without being a company?

Thanks in advance

P.S Wise (transferwise): same problem

Try Paytm
    https://business.paytm.com/payment-gateway-campaign1?redirectUrl=instant-onboard&utm_campaign=Google_Generic_Phrase_payment&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Google&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2sqOBhCGARIsAPuPK0jDjXd78m-x-G2K4Zw-_XyhV1ORahItviJ5O-uESRPQXuA1Sx3DasUaAqTSEALw_wcB

• You could try Revolut. Even with the personal use Standard plan, I can generate payment request links like this one: https://revolut.me/r/uATmo1mYIv

There is also a free plan for freelancers :)

Thanked by 3cpsd Logano Arkas
  • bshbsh Member

@Ympker said:
    You could try Revolut. Even with the personal use Standard plan, I can generate payment request links like this one: https://revolut.me/r/uATmo1mYIv

Read some controversies on wiki about this one

Thanked by 2Ympker Logano
  • @bsh said:

@Ympker said:
    You could try Revolut. Even with the personal use Standard plan, I can generate payment request links like this one: https://revolut.me/r/uATmo1mYIv

Read some controversies on wiki about this one

Probably everything I have read about Revolut on the web (especially Reddit) seems very controversial. It ranges from users locked out of their accounts and fund inaccessible for months (or even longer) to "this is the best service I have ever used". Personally, I only had to re-verify my identity once. Other than that I didn't have any trouble, but it was a hassle back then and I somewhat wouldn't use them as my main bank account. That being said, I use them for travelling and they also have some very positive reviews. With them since a couple years now. Your call :)

Thanked by 1Logano
  • bshbsh Member

@Ympker said:

Totally agreed

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • afnafn Member
    edited January 2022

Thanks all for the valuable suggestions.

@Ympker, I will check Revolut (and read some more reviews), thanks for the the "live demo" link. This is practically what I need. Sounds like a very suitable candidate (where I should avoid to store a lot of money tho, just like PayPal).

Payoneer is another very good candidate too, I totally forgot about them. I had an account years ago, but I stopped using it because I no longer needed it (replaced it by PayPal).

@serversupportz PayTM seem good too, because they have the "recurring payments" option. But they seem too India focused and I am not sure of the usability outside India. I need to check how they handle other currencies/countries and the associated fees. Neither me, nor my clients are from India, so no reason really to use an Indian platform
    Edit: Paytm is useless, it is only for Indians.

@WebProject, Stripe sounds like too much info to fill, I am looking for a "fill and go" form like PayPal if possible, which is why I asked if stripe is really worth it. paysend does not support "send" option from the same countries that have issues with PayPal.

@Dupondt, thanks for the info about stripe :smile: Seems it might be an a hassle to register with them. Payoneer and revolut seem more suitable to me. I appreciate your help.

Thanked by 1Ympker