Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting a webhosting business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting a webhosting business

Hi everyone!
Is it alright to start a web hosting business using a reseller hosting package? Since there are very expensive web hosting companies in my country, I believe it might be a good competition. But what if I'm also trying to target other countries? Just for example I come up with good offers for LET users? So would it be reliable or what hurdles can I face & will I be able to overcome them?

Comments

• NO

Thanked by 1dystopia
  • @SpeedTest said:
    NO

Why not? Isn't it the reason I opened a thread here?

• @Fahadistic said:

@SpeedTest said:
    NO

Why not? Isn't it the reason I opened a thread here?

are you a sysadmin?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

NO

• Just do it. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Don't let your customers put you down if you lose all their data. Don't let your government tell you otherwise if your customers host CP and you didn't delete it in X hours. Go for it. The $7 are worth it. /s

Thanked by 2yoursunny dev077
  • welp okay.

• You're asking a question you should already know the answers to or you should figure it out yourself.

Do the market research, do the customer analysis, figure out what your cost basis is. If you're using a reseller account then how much will that cost and is it worth your time/money to go through them. How will support or other problems be handled (will you be a middleman? How will that work?).

This is your time and your money you're putting into. This isn't something you should be asking other people to build for you and show you the road. That's just lazy. Figure it out step-by-step and go from there.

Thanked by 2yoursunny dev077
  • have you at minimum done a SWOT analysis of webhosting industry, and written a complete business plan with strategies and action plans on how to conduct business, on top of having experience with the technical aspects of the product since it will be a one man show?

yeah no worries man just learn on the job.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Dude I've seen people cash in like crazy selling lifetime deals on HostGator shared hosting, on stacksocial. Then they just disappear and take their money. Obviously it worked for them.

Thanked by 1devp

Don't forget to download a disaster plan.

Thanked by 2jar Boogeyman
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@deank said:

Where's the button for that?

• @jar said:

@deank said:

I think for most people here it's called their bank account. SLA credit boi!!!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @jar said:

@deank said:

This is what I'm wondering about for a while already:

disaster plan recovery OVH file

Thanked by 2dystopia Alex_Leo
  • imo start one with reseller hosting, it will most probably fail but its a good way to get experience with online sales without a lot of loss

Thanked by 1devp
  • Start the Business. Just make sure to attend the customers problems if you really want to succeed. Go with optimism in new year.

Thanked by 1devp
  • Start business, invest heavy, mortgage your house, car. Go big or go home. Ou wait, bank just took your home, a fck it, drive to the parents. Where is the car?

Thanked by 2chocolateshirt steny

As long as you have a disaster plan, you've got nothing to fear.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2022
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

You may as well be asking:

Hey, I see a lot of people making money trading options. I have $100 and I think I could make a lot of money on options, but I don't really know how, or what options are. Can someone tell me what they are and how I can make money from it?

No offence intended, but basically, you should be getting into something only if you've already basically come up with a plan. You could share the plan, and ask others to poke holes in it for you. But you need the plan first.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • Go for it, life is short. Just remember if your reseller goes out of business ...

• Read up on how to write a good business plan.

Then, write a detailed business plan.

When you're done with that, you'll see exactly why it's a bad idea.

There is not a lot of money to be made in hosting until you reach a massive scale or eke out a specific niche for yourself. You can make a decent living out of it, but you have to be really passionate about it and possess a lot of technical knowledge and business savvy.

A business plan is not required if you have a fine disaster plan.

• @randvegeta said:

Hey, I see a lot of people making money trading options. I have $100 and I think I could make a lot of money on options, but I don't really know how, or what options are. Can someone tell me what they are and how I can make money from it?

No offence intended, but basically, you should be getting into something only if you've already basically come up with a plan. You could share the plan, and ask others to poke holes in it for you. But you need the plan first.

im convinced options are designed by the makers to take profits from idiots lol.

im a dumbass but id much rather sell at a loss than $0.

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2022

@SirFoxy said:

@randvegeta said:

im convinced options are designed by the makers to take profits from idiots lol.

Kek same, YOLO DNN, CCJ 5k options with strike at 100% of the price

Energy crisis 2023

• @Fahadistic said: Since there are very expensive web hosting companies in my country

Where on earth are you located? It's expensive because of your infrastructure costs locally?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@deank said:
    A business plan is not required if you have a fine disaster plan.

Can OP send the money to Nigh Sect and get a return in a year?

@yoursunny said:
    Can OP send the money to Nigh Sect and get a return in a year?

On paper, yes. But pretty sure whatever money you send to Nigh sect will vanish soon. Don't know what the PMS is going on there.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@SirFoxy said:

@randvegeta said:

Anybody can write options.

I got into options trading earlier this year. I was reading about how many people made shit loads of money buying options, but whenever I did my own analysis and evaluation on them, it seemed like a poor investment and poor use of capital. 90% of options expire worthless. Then it hit me, if they weren't worth buying, and even seemed too expensive, why not sell them?

So I started selling them! Dipped my toe at first, making only a few bucks here and there. Like I would literally sell safe puts every week, and taking in $100-200/wk. Over time, I learned more, got more confidence, learned even more. Now I'm putting serious money behind my trades. You can make good money, but you need to know what you're doing. Shorting options can wipe you out very quickly.

Thanked by 1devp
  • @randvegeta said: Anybody can write options.

I got into options trading earlier this year. I was reading about how many people made shit loads of money buying options, but whenever I did my own analysis and evaluation on them, it seemed like a poor investment and poor use of capital. 90% of options expire worthless. Then it hit me, if they weren't worth buying, and even seemed too expensive, why not sell them?

So I started selling them! Dipped my toe at first, making only a few bucks here and there. Like I would literally sell safe puts every week, and taking in 7451.61₹ ($100)-200/wk. Over time, I learned more, got more confidence, learned even more. Now I'm putting serious money behind my trades. You can make good money, but you need to know what you're doing. Shorting options can wipe you out very quickly.

Appreciated.

Thanked by 1randvegeta