Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM 256 MB KVM VPS Review - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM 256 MB KVM VPS Review

Comments

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited September 2011

You guys are spending all that money while my Pentium D's are chugging along nicely. :)it

edit: chuga chuga chuga chuga :D

• yomero said: Awwwww! That sounds... delicious n_n

Bring on the server pr0n!

fan said: Won't that kind of setup exhaust the disk I/O easily?

Maybe, quite possible, and a larger array would be built then, the HP SAS Expander is an awesome value at $250 in plentiful supply on the lease return market and is 6g. To bad for Delta they are incompatible with Adaptec raid cards. I think all SAS Expanders are incompatible with Adaptec cards unless PMC offers some.

drmike said: my Pentium D's are chugging along nicely

One day you might join us in this decade ;)

• Heck no. Still have 106 of the little buggers in storage and 80-something servers already built. I'd have to replace all that hardware if I was to upgrade.

• drmike said: I'd have to replace all that hardware if I was to upgrade

But how many tons of coal would not have to be burned a year to supply that old junk electricity? How many racks could you free up not having that old gear wasting precious, costly rack space? I generally try to keep a 3-5 year life to the servers. If you have 106 of these still in service, that is what, 3 racks worth of them? You could upgrade into a ½ rack, so how much savings will you experience from that? Enough to pay for the upgrade within 6 months I would bet.

• Agree hehe.

Is time to go shopping mike!

• Meh, I still have an old Pentium III in service as my file server.

• Mmm...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wolfdale-steroids,1777-17.html

And that's old, slower less efficient chips from 3 years ago. The difference between those pentium Ds and ivy bridge will be insane.

• Actually I'm locked into a total of 225 clients on a server due to the agreement with the folks who do my tech support. More than that and it's counted as an additional server.

The limit is actually 200 per server but with us doing managed hosting, it takes a lot of the weight off of them.

• Do it for the environment! Captain Planet will love you.

• Throwing away and buying new saves the environment? Where are you living?

• @Kylix LOL, yes it saves the environment (long term) if you put your trash in an specialized center and if you use more efficient hardware that can allocate more clients

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

The ``specialized center´´ is called Asia and Africa atm: http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/campaigns/toxics/electronics/the-e-waste-problem/where-does-e-waste-end-up/

"In the UK alone, at least 23,000 metric tonnes of undeclared or 'grey' market electronic waste was illegally shipped in 2003 to the Far East, India, Africa and China. In the US, it is estimated that 50-80 percent of the waste collected for recycling is being exported in this way. This practice is legal because the US has not ratified the Basel Convention."

• Great, VPS doesn't boot and there is no reply for more than 6 hours :(

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Hi iKocka,

What'd you break? :P

We've had staffers up for quite a few hours so you must have missed a reply or put it in the wrong department?

Francisco

• /me thinks about hacking the site and adding in that 96 pixel "GIVE A FRIGGING TICKET NUMBER" text.

• LOL, support site, LET...

• @yomero: I just wanted to update my review with current situation.

@Francisco: Really? I opened a high priority support ticket in correct department at 06:42 and got reply at 17:06. That's 10+ hours to fix broken VNC that I was able to get my VPS back online.

• @ kylix - who mentioned throwing away? Decommissioning and recycling the old equipment is better, surely? Donating them to charities etc.

• @Gary: Indeed. But most times it is thrown away. Tax reasons.

@iKocka - The problem wasn't something Anthony was able to fix since it was a coding error on my part, sorry.

We've been doing some fairly serious amounts of changes to the stallion panel to clean up a lot of the code and during that I had screwed up with how VNC was operating (namely how ports were assigned).

By the time I woke up (around 2PM PST), Anthony was up in arms about said page.

Again, all I can say is I apologize for that bug since that was is entirely on me and me alone :)

Francisco

• Donating them to charities etc.

Most charities are knee deep in old computer equipment. Had one a few years back get a truck load of AT&T PCs from early 90-ish. Sold them on eBay for $5 a piece plus shipping just to get rid of them. Cost them a fortune to deal with.

• True, but dual core machines likes that aren't bad per se, they're just low-spec and inefficient. They'd be more than enough for web browsing machines etc. Maybe someone could setup a community internet cafe or something similar. They're worth way more than a fiver anyway, being S775. They might even be upgradeable to newer CPUs, etc.

• You also have to remember that I do not own the company, my ex fiancee does. And she won't have anything to do with it.

I make due with what I have and what Vermont lets me get away with.

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited September 2011

After replacing ext3 with ext4...

# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -rf test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.91273 s, 136 MB/s
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 7.17329 s, 150 MB/s
  • I am not sure that ext3 -> ext4 increased the speed. You are in a shared environment.

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited September 2011

Then how would you explain this? I did the tests on a same node where I have 1 VPS with ext3 and 1 with ext4. I run tests few seconds apart (both relations).

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.14639 s, 132 MB/s
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 4.4776 s, 240 MB/s

some points that can help you with this:

• ext4 is faster by a fair bit, some benchmarks put it at 2x faster in some cases
    • The resources are shared and the max you'll see is 230 - 240MB/sec since there's only 4 disks in the array. The drives aren't all that loaded so you shouldn't have issues pushing some good speeds
    • You can make ext3/ext4 run even better if you:

echo 'deadline' > /sys/block/vda/queue/scheduler

replace VDA for SDA depending on if you're using virtio or not. We've also had good luck with 'noop' since we have a hardware RAID underneath, but deadline seems to work well too.

We're going to likely commit some changes to stallion to improve IO performance on KVM some more. There are some settings that we aren't issuing (since our original goal was to emulate solus the best we could), so i'll get those in place.

Francisco

• iKockaiKocka Member
    edited November 2011

20 days ago I noticed that CPU clockrate was 1.87 GHz instead of 2.5 GHz. I opened a ticket and Anthony told me that they replaced it with E5320 due to failure. Today, although Anthony said the same day that the replacement has been ordered, node still has E5320.

Integer Score:                 971 |||
    Floating Point Score:         1780 |||||||
    Memory Score:                  815 |||
    Stream Score:                  907 |||

Overall Geekbench Score:      1216 ||||
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 14.363 s, 74.8 MB/s

Geekbench score is below average, I/O is average. I'm going to cancel VPS at the end of the billing period as I can get better service for the money I pay in California.

• @iKocka said: I/O is average

You don't know what is average :S 75 MB is more than ok.

• @yomero said: You don't know what is average :S 75 MB is more than ok.

Under 50 MB/s is below average, 50-100 MB/s is average and more than 100 MB/s in above average.