Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

poor amazon..
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

poor amazon..

Comments

• How many here on LET lost millions of $?

• @kheng86 said:
    How many here on LET lost millions of $?

No one, because we keep our multi billions worth of data on 256MB RAM box running alpine linux :D

Thanked by 4johhhn evergreen BBTN tux
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

So far, my Kimsufi dedi has beat every shit VM I had.
    Raid is for tryhards, single Disk best.

• @Neoon said:

til ur next rant bcause. ;-)

Thanked by 1dosai

@Falzo said:

@Neoon said:

til ur next rant bcause. ;-)

It happens always unplanned and suddenly, can't predict them.
    Given that I have my i5 since 2016 with Kimsufi, nearly nothing can beat its uptime, duh.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Neoon said: Raid is for tryhards, single Disk best.

Bliat, this is not the best attitude towards your data... You know, amazon can happen for the luckiest of us.

@LTniger said:

@Neoon said: Raid is for tryhards, single Disk best.

Bliat, this is not the best attitude towards your data... You know, amazon can happen for the luckiest of us.

Raid does not care about data, but Backup does, its gentle.

• Your moms a raid.

@KermEd said:
    Your moms a raid.

She truly is if he as replicated, if not, living on the edge is fun too.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Gotta admit that the uptime reliability of aws the last few years has not been great... Why so few people talk about the risks of hosting on major public clouds is beyond me.

• Lots of customers to serve. No API data to serve them.

• @jbiloh said: Gotta admit that the uptime reliability of aws the last few years has not been great... Why so few people talk about the risks of hosting on major public clouds is beyond me.

The same mindset as "nobody got fired for buying IBM/Microsoft"; it's easier to justify the choice when something breaks, even when it's not the best.

• @jbiloh said:
    Gotta admit that the uptime reliability of aws the last few years has not been great... Why so few people talk about the risks of hosting on major public clouds is beyond me.

I work with several companies. One of them wants everything in production on aws. Which just results into even more work because aws has absolutely no standards. For example the native kubernetes rbac doesn't work on aws and you need to configure iam for your users and configure your (managed) cluster accordingly. Also you need to install the storage drivers on your own.

Also the support on aws is just plain bad.

Thanked by 1BBTN
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: Gotta admit that the uptime reliability of aws the last few years has not been great... Why so few people talk about the risks of hosting on major public clouds is beyond me.

The same mindset as "nobody got fired for buying IBM/Microsoft"; it's easier to justify the choice when something breaks, even when it's not the best.

Yep fair point. When "everyone else" is down too when your down it's easier to explain away to management, right?

• bulbasaurbulbasaur Member
    edited December 2021

@jbiloh said:

@stevewatson301 said:

@jbiloh said: Gotta admit that the uptime reliability of aws the last few years has not been great... Why so few people talk about the risks of hosting on major public clouds is beyond me.

Yep fair point. When "everyone else" is down too when your down it's easier to explain away to management, right?

That, and a lot of potential investigation points are wrapped in obfuscation and bureaucracy when you use a cloud provider.

Taking an example of the current incident, where their update as per the status page is an "impairment of several network devices in the US-EAST-1 Region". If this was an impairment of self-managed hardware, questions would be inevitably raised as to what said "impairment" was, how it could be avoided, how it could be resolved faster, and so on; which would then lead to finger pointing and ultimately someone getting fired.

When using a third party provider, this could be all the company rep shares and most customers won't push for further details, and even if they push most can be appeased by statements such as "this was an unexpected situation and we're always trying to improve our processes".

• I don't get it why people here choose Amazon, when when we have LET. Many providers here are much better than Amazon.

• DediRockDediRock Member, Patron Provider

:D > @johhhn said:

Thanked by 1johhhn
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@jbiloh said:

Because "Da Cloud" is da thang. IMO putting everything into the cloud demonstrates that most companies are run by bean-counter type management.

"AWS [and the like] are giants which translates to 'good' and 'reliable'" fits into their minds. "all those technicalities and algorithms and that kind of stuff" don't. Way too complex. Plus "Low CapEx, yay! And low OpEx (and HREx)" (wet dreams).

• @jbiloh said:

It very much depends on the industry you’re in. Financial institutions and those with huge amounts of customer data (like healthcare) are very much thinking about those risks, as are the regulators of said institutions.

• And when you go with a giant company, unless you are a giant company, there's zero accountability. Do you really get what you paid for in this case?

• @Neoon said:

@KermEd said:
    Your moms a raid.

She truly is if he as replicated

Shit keeps getting weirder.

@TimboJones said:

@Neoon said:

@KermEd said:
    Your moms a raid.

She truly is if he as replicated

Shit keeps getting weirder.