Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPN Service Do You Recommend? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPN Service Do You Recommend?

Comments

• so ,this is VPS forum ?
    I thought all of us buy VPS and build vpn by self~~

• @jsg said: Right after you getting an "idiotic 1 liner writer and reader" tag

To be fair, if that's the deal, I'll take it.

@jbiloh - please make the changes!

• I'm surprised that no one has posted a link to That One Privacy Guy's VPN analysis spreadsheet.

• @user123 said:
    I'm surprised that no one has posted a link to That One Privacy Guy's VPN analysis spreadsheet.

Speaking of That One Privacy Guy, why does his site redirect to https://safetydetectives.com/ now?

• @stevenruidigao said:

@user123 said:
    I'm surprised that no one has posted a link to That One Privacy Guy's VPN analysis spreadsheet.

Speaking of That One Privacy Guy, why does his site redirect to https://safetydetectives.com/ now?

He posted about it on his Twitter last year. IIRC, he partnered with/sold to another organization to maintain his site and then he ended up starting up another site of his own (safetydetectives). I think they wanted to do some things with his brand that he didn't want to do, but don't quote me on that last part because I don't remember the details.

• @user123 said:

@stevenruidigao said:

@user123 said:

He posted about it on his Twitter last year. IIRC, he partnered with/sold to another organization to maintain his site and then he ended up starting up another site of his own (safetydetectives). I think they wanted to do some things with his brand that he didn't want to do, but don't quote me on that last part because I don't remember the details.

Ah. I was wondering because I saw safetydetectives and I was like "why Norton, and why ExpressVPN?"

• @stevenruidigao said:

@user123 said:

I stopped reading at:

Quick summary of the best antivirus software for 2021:
    1.🥇 Norton — Best overall antivirus in 2021.
    2.🥈 Bitdefender — Most comprehensive internet security suite.
    3.🥉 Intego — Best antivirus for Mac (only for macOS systems).
    4. TotalAV — Best for ease of use (recommended for beginners).
    5. McAfee — Best web protections (with a great family plan).

• @stevenruidigao @SirFoxy

TBH, I just look at the spreadsheet. I might have remembered the thing about the website incorrectly, sorry.

• @SirFoxy said: 1.🥇 Norton — Best overall antivirus in 2021.

Thanked by 2Ympker user123
  • @Daniel15 said:

@SirFoxy said: 1.🥇 Norton — Best overall antivirus in 2021.

I was more surprised to find McAfee made the list.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited December 2021

@user123 said:

He selled his website, guess who? Kape technologies
    He lost all credibility, just take a look in his old domain redirects to a new blog, that say they are transparent and honest, but managed by Kape (owner of CyberGhost)

Of course they will be honest (https://i.imgur.com/eAiTu7s.png + affiliate programs + Review Guidelines..)

Take a look in his Twitter account people blaming him, he sell it.

>

He sell it, the best is that blog (which is managed by That One Privacy guy) now is managed by CyberGhost, don't make me laugh. If anyone knows him, just tell him he lost "all credibility"

https://i.imgur.com/eAiTu7s.png < Laugh about that mini description of "Ownership"

He can sell? Of course, but he should warning people about it, he should make a good explaination, he didn't nothing. Money talks.

@jsg said:
    @sandoz

All well said and I largely agree, BUT what does "privacy" mean? Or in other words: Are we really journalists or activists in [insert country with evil repressive regime]? I don't think so. It seems to me that the vast majority of us, incl. @raindog308's friends, simply want some privacy, not as in "it must hold up against intelligence agencies" but rather as in "in a world in which armies of companies collect every bit of personal data they can possibly get hold of, I want a basic layer of protection".

Or, put differently, for the vast majority of us the adversary isn't the NSA or the FBI or FSB and the likes but data greedy companies who, to make it worse, treat the data they collect utterly carelessly.

So why should we care whether a VPN provider really keeps no logs and is a "true privacy hero"? Plus we already saw quite a few cases of presumed to be "true privacy heroes" who turned out to simply be liars. And unless you yourself can really verify how they collect data or not, which data, and how they treat those data, you basically know virtually nothing. They proved in court to not have any info/logs? Great, but that was back then and in a legal context; that doesn't mean that today they don't collect, etc.

And indeed what are the criteria most VPN users are really concerned about? Number of servers, up- and down speed, does it work with Netflix/hula/whatever? Privacy and safety usually get a check mark due to some mumbo jumbo or some seal.

For those very few I guess who really need privacy that has a chance to hold up against FBI, FSB etc. my advice would be to insert something like a IncogNet VPS as a first step using a one time email address and crypto-currency to pay and accessing the "true privacy hero" VPN of your choice only via that VPS.

>
    >

I agree with you, I didn't said privacy is not important. If you read my posts, you know I'm DEFENDER of Privacy no matter what, there are law of criminals. We aren't nothing to judge anyone.

Thanked by 3jsg Master_Bo that_guy
  • @sandoz I'm just curious where you got the information that Windscribe asks for your address. I've never been asked for my address by Windscribe, and it says in their privacy policy that they don't log.

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited December 2021

@stevenruidigao said:
    @sandoz I'm just curious where you got the information that Windscribe asks for your address. I've never been asked for my address by Windscribe, and it says in their privacy policy that they don't log.

Where is their Warrant canary? I didn't see, where is their payment through mail?

Windscribe free (someone needs to pay the bills):
    "Now, we can understand the bandwidth logs because Windscribe actually offers a very useable free plan, which is capped at 10GBs monthly bandwidth. VPN services that offer a capped free tier need to keep track of the amount of data consumed, somehow…"

We don't keep connection logs, IP timestamps, session logs, or monitor your activity. We store when you last used Windscribe as well as the total amount of bandwidth used in a 30 day period to enforce free tier limitations and prevent abuse. This is a rolling counter and is not kept historically.

>

Who guaraantes you that they don't store more than 30 days? None.

Now, open Mullvad VPN and see how it works, how a transparency and privacy focused VPN works and deals with user information.

Where is their Company registrated? They are in Offshore Country? No information about their company, they are behind Cloudflare.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windscribe/comments/8866ek/windscribe_audit/
    Removed? Why? Pressure from Windscribe? #nologging-ERROR404NOTFOUND.

"About us" only say "Windscribe" doesn't say nothing more. Suspicious

• @sandoz said:
    Where is their Warrant canary?

https://windscribe.com/transparency

I didn't see, where is their payment through mail?

I mean, there's crypto, which is somewhat similarly anonymous (I know, it's not the same)

Windscribe free (someone needs to pay the bills):
    "Now, we can understand the bandwidth logs because Windscribe actually offers a very useable free plan, which is capped at 10GBs monthly bandwidth. VPN services that offer a capped free tier need to keep track of the amount of data consumed, somehow…"

We don't keep connection logs, IP timestamps, session logs, or monitor your activity. We store when you last used Windscribe as well as the total amount of bandwidth used in a 30 day period to enforce free tier limitations and prevent abuse. This is a rolling counter and is not kept historically.

>

Who guaraantes you that they don't store more than 30 days? None.

I agree. It's the same with any other VPN company.

Now, open Mullvad VPN and see how it works, how a transparency and privacy focused VPN works and deals with user information.

Where is their Company registrated? They are in Offshore Country? No information about their company, they are behind Cloudflare.

Not really sure what you mean here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windscribe/comments/8866ek/windscribe_audit/
    Removed? Why? Pressure from Windscribe? #nologging-ERROR404NOTFOUND.

"About us" only say "Windscribe" doesn't say nothing more. Suspicious

I agree, their about us is a little bit short, but you can actually talk directly to the founder.

• @MatthewMa said:
    so ,this is VPS forum ?
    I thought all of us buy VPS and build vpn by self~~

I mean yes, but I guess not everyone has time for that, and also that won't provide any anonymity (for whatever reason, not judging).

• @user123 said:

That guy has always been an idiot shill.

• Keepsolid. Got the cheap lifetime sub and use it for downloading torrents via their torrent endpoints.

It works.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • edited December 2021

And now LowEndBox spamming LowEndTalk user with marketing another VPN provider

• Now you are sending twice of marketing email, definitely spam.

• @Erisa said:

@yoursunny said:
    I use ssh -D 1080, faster than VPN.

Is that the quick SOCKS5 proxy that SSH has? I'm always impressed that exists and its a lifesaver in some situations.
    Though had some difficulties getting it to always stay open and didn't prefer it for long-living connections that are supposed to be able to stay alive after losing that connection sometimes (sometimes SSH stops receiving packets and doesn't notice, theres a thing for that but I could never get it to work reliably)

But still, for something that doesn't require installing anything extra, its amazing.

I've had great results with the following configuration, even with aggressive ISPs who like to close idle TCP connections in under 15 seconds:

ServerAliveInterval 4
    ServerAliveCountMax 4

Thanked by 2Erisa TimboJones
  • I have been with NordVPN for a long time (almost 3 years now) and can't complain. I still have an active subscription until 2025 or something as there was a crazy black Friday deal I think two years ago.

What do I use it for?

• on the phone when using public Wifi
    • watching Netflix or other content that is geo-blocked
    • as entry when using Tor

The experience so far has been great. Servers are stable, fast and plenty. Would I trust them with my data? Of course not.

• Any vpn or vps recommendations for torrenting copyrighted media to avoid dmca notice? If you roll your own will a NAT vps work fast if it’s overseas?

• I'm using VPN Unlimited 5 devices and FastestVPN 15 active connections, I bought lifetime for both.

I will just use VPN to surf the web when the shark bite the ocean cable so the speed doesn't matter much.

I like Fastest VPN because they don't count installed devices, they count active connections.

• ExpressVPN, NordVPN, HMA

• I build my own

• I use Hostpro. Good service and technical support. :)

• Keepsolid

• I use FastestVPN and Keepsolid-VPN-Unlimited. My home connection has 2 WIFI networks:

• one through VPN which uses a Raspberry Pi 3 with OpenWRT so that all my family browsing is somewhat private through VPN-Unlimited.
    • one for remote working, payments, Netflix TV, which is not hiding anything.
    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I have subscribed to purevpn for 2 years with 60USD. it behaves worse in my location. but keepsolid's lifetime is pretty fine for me.