Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which VPN Service Do You Recommend? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which VPN Service Do You Recommend?

Comments

• I would say surfshark

• Mullvad, Xeovo, AzireVPN and BunkerVPN.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

The best, but not the cheapest, is by far, Mullvad IMO.
    KeepSolid is very, well, solid :smile:

• I use Mullvad and they have been providing me a solid service for a quite some time now

• Airvpn if you need no bullshit, fast and no upselling service. I pumped 7TB of premium adult iso's previous month with 0 complaints and average of 100Mbps.

Thanked by 1Ganonk
  • @LTniger said:
    Airvpn if you need no bullshit, fast and no upselling service. I pumped 7TB of premium adult iso's previous month with 0 complaints and average of 100Mbps.

‘Adult’ ISOs.

Dirty boy.

• If price matters: https://fastestvpn.com/lifetime-special-deal
    I have used it on/off for two days, and I haven't had any problems yet.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Daniel15 said:
    AirVPN.

• Decent number of locations
    • Very transparent about their servers. On their site, they show things like bandwidth available and in use, server load, number of connected users, and a log of maintenance / packet loss issues per server. https://airvpn.org/status/
    • Supports port forwarding of up to 20 ports, so you can host services on the VPN, Sure, people often use it for torrenting, but it also has other use cases too, when you want a service on your machine to be accessible on the internet without revealing your IP.

Looks interesting. Thanks!

• Adguard VPN / VPN unlimited / ProtonVPN . I select AdGuard VPN to be fastest for my internet.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jsg said:

@Daniel15 said:
    AirVPN.

• Decent number of locations
    • Very transparent about their servers. On their site, they show things like bandwidth available and in use, server load, number of connected users, and a log of maintenance / packet loss issues per server. https://airvpn.org/status/
    • Supports port forwarding of up to 20 ports, so you can host services on the VPN, Sure, people often use it for torrenting, but it also has other use cases too, when you want a service on your machine to be accessible on the internet without revealing your IP.

Looks interesting. Thanks!

Also their Black Friday sale is still running, but I guess it's ending soon :)

• sandozsandoz Veteran
    edited December 2021

I laugh when I Saw WindScribe! They are full logged.

For privacy: iPredator VPN (Njal.la VPN now), Mullvad VPN, OVPN

PIA was great but know bought by CyberGhost full logged (possibility)

How Windscribe, IVPN, PIA are privacy based? When they ask for Address, Postal Code, Name, Telephone, Email?

Take a look in Mullvad VPN how they deal with registration of users, that's a good privacy VPN take it as good example.

If you want speed and good performance (privacy / can be logged) PureVPN, AirVPN

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Mullvad if you need port forwarding, AzireVPN if you don't. I wouldn't touch most of the other providers suggested in this thread with a ten-foot pole.

Thanked by 1paroxsitic
  • SurfShark has never done me wrong yet.

• SprinterliveSprinterlive Member
    edited December 2021

just wondering, why shouldn't someone run their own VPN on a vps or something? are there privacy concerns?

• @Sprinterlive said:
    just wondering, why shouldn't someone run their own VPN on a vps or something? are there privacy concerns?

Depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Very little anonymity achieved when you can be directly linked to an IP address via the provider.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @ItsAsylum said:
    SurfShark has never done me wrong yet.

Hahaha surfshark privacy based? They are another like NordVPN, PureVPN which make promotions of 60% - 90% discounts.

They don't care about your privacy, they focus on the marketing and income of €€..

Mullvad VPN take it as example, look at their registration process, their payment method. Their transparency, their blog, terms of service everything is clear and well stated.

Look also at OVPN or Njal.la VPN (old iPredator VPN company)

OVPN proved in court that doesn't log users, search for it in Google.

Windscribe is good for who want to pay to be the product, full logged. I never would buy from them, if my focus is privacy and no-logging policy. The same argument is valid for NordVPN, PureVPN, Surfshark included.

I prefer to use VPN that doesn't very well know in the market, like NordVPN which pays everything that is blog, forums, websites to be in top of lists.
    Even if they don't have quality, what they want is what they have and yes I'm talking about €€. Got it?

NordVPN without any doubt a bunch of leaks and data security / vulnerabilities... I feel that is a good VPN to go, they waste their Money in Marketing and fake reviews than Auditing their Security. Good to go without doubt.

Please, guys do you really think VPN no-logging and privacy focused will ask for your address, Postal Code? Telephone? Email? Age? Country? In their registration process... Of course they are focused in privacy. No one will find you.

Don't make me laugh.

• Trying decentralized VPN instead of most centralized VPN providers.

• Depends on what location your friend needs, I think. For US locations, there are a myriad options. All major VPN providers are decent to great speed wise.

For my own needs, which is Seoul or any other Korean city, it's a lot harder. So far I've found Windscribe, Keepsolid, and others to be total shit at all times. PureVPN and NordVPN are barely usable (broken-480p). ExpressVPN is by far the most stable of the major providers (480p-1080p) but at multiple times the price. A lesser known service called Mudfish is not always but usually faster at a FAR greater cost even compared to ExpressVPN. Out of all of them, ExpressVPN and Mudfish are the only ones that can generally provide 480p-1080p during peak times like national team football nights.

For bypassing VPN detection by streaming providers, ExpressVPN is the only one that almost always seems to work with zero hassle (Wavve, Tving, Naver TV, Disney).

• @Sprinterlive said:

Unless you're conducting illegal activities, there's no reason to use a commercial VPN and you're likely safer because you control the server.

@Nekki said:
    Depends on what you’re trying to achieve. Very little anonymity achieved when you can be directly linked to an IP address via the provider.

For legal purposes, it's likely better. You could use a NAT server and have a little more anonymity because there's hundreds of other users utilizing the same IP.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2021

@raindog308 said:
    I have yet another friend who asked me what VPN service he should use.

I seem to have a lot of friends/family who fall into these categories:

• want a VPN for various non-nefarious reasons (want additional protection when in hotels, are not committing crimes but prefer more privacy, heard VPNs "make you more secure", etc.)

• in principle prefers no logging but isn't really worried about it because is not doing anything more super l33t than watching hulu in another country

• are not technical enough to run their own server or administer a VPN

• prefer a service because there are usually hundreds of endpoints to choose from not just one

• the usual consumer comforts like supported on all major platforms, etc.

• probably will pay with a Visa and doesn't know or care about crypto currency or complete anonymity with the provider

I'm the worst person to give a recommendation because while I generally use a VPN, it's often to purposefully appear from one IP (to enable whitelisting on various systems).

So...given that...who might you recommend?

Disclaimer: LEB is promoting ExpressVPN and PureVPN, but I have not personally used either. Over the years I've tried some cheap promos from NordVPN and PIA and they were fine, but I didn't really push the service hard or investigate them too closely.

Keepsolid Lifetime Deal on Stacksocial is what I would recommend (Full price is around 40$, you usually can use Honey Chrome Extension to find discount codes to get 20-30% off). Keepsolid/VPN Unlimited has served me well since 2017 and is one of the lifetime vpn deals that does not have an expiry date in the client area (unlike e.g. Ivacy that says lifetime=5 years). I also have Windscribe Lifetime Deal, but that one is no longer available. With Keepsolid, you can't really go wrong. Just keep in mind the 5 device limit after which you have to remove a device to add a new one (can remove 1 per week). Other than that, the usual suspects (NordVPN, ExpressVPN, AirVPN..) won't be bad either. But they don't add much extra value imho and I prefer LTDs (check my sig to see all vpn ltds I have). FastestVPN would be another Stacksocial LTD alternative. Instead of total devices they only count concurrent devices, so no need to add/remove devices. Make sure to use vanilla ovpn/ikev2 because their clients can be buggy.

Edit: Keepsolid is even 19,99$ rn. Not the highest discount I have seen, but decent enough to buy. Get it for 13,00$ with code: SDVPNU13
    Heck, I bought at 39$ and don't look back.

If you check the Google Doc in the LTD VPN thread in my signature, you will see a long list of LE users that have already bought Keepsolid.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/vpn-unlimited-lifetime-subscription

• xx00xxxx00xx Member
    edited December 2021

mullvad is only good if you use their colocated locations and their own network "31173 Services AB" (at least as entry and then connect to other locations)

ovpn.com has everything colocated and own network hardware, but they use sometimes shit upstreams like m247

azirevpn has also everything colocated, but they do also manage the complete network on all locations. they now what they do and i like them the most

in general, stay away from services with virtual or rented servers if you really "care" for at least a little bit of privacy. don't use services with m247 or other/new uk based multi location hosts ;)

edited December 2021

@sandoz

All well said and I largely agree, BUT what does "privacy" mean? Or in other words: Are we really journalists or activists in [insert country with evil repressive regime]? I don't think so. It seems to me that the vast majority of us, incl. @raindog308's friends, simply want some privacy, not as in "it must hold up against intelligence agencies" but rather as in "in a world in which armies of companies collect every bit of personal data they can possibly get hold of, I want a basic layer of protection".

Or, put differently, for the vast majority of us the adversary isn't the NSA or the FBI or FSB and the likes but data greedy companies who, to make it worse, treat the data they collect utterly carelessly.

So why should we care whether a VPN provider really keeps no logs and is a "true privacy hero"? Plus we already saw quite a few cases of presumed to be "true privacy heroes" who turned out to simply be liars. And unless you yourself can really verify how they collect data or not, which data, and how they treat those data, you basically know virtually nothing. They proved in court to not have any info/logs? Great, but that was back then and in a legal context; that doesn't mean that today they don't collect, etc.

And indeed what are the criteria most VPN users are really concerned about? Number of servers, up- and down speed, does it work with Netflix/hula/whatever? Privacy and safety usually get a check mark due to some mumbo jumbo or some seal.

For those very few I guess who really need privacy that has a chance to hold up against FBI, FSB etc. my advice would be to insert something like a IncogNet VPS as a first step using a one time email address and crypto-currency to pay and accessing the "true privacy hero" VPN of your choice only via that VPS.

Thanked by 2Logano Courvix
  • @jbiloh could we get @jsg’s custom role changed to ‘Captain Wall o’Text’, thanks.

• @LTniger said:
    Airvpn if you need no bullshit, fast and no upselling service. I pumped 7TB of premium adult iso's previous month with 0 complaints and average of 100Mbps.

Man of culture.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2021

@Chronic said:
    Mullvad if you need port forwarding, AzireVPN if you don't. I wouldn't touch most of the other providers suggested in this thread with a ten-foot pole.

Not even AirVPN?

As far as I know, Mullvad gives you a single port number, and it's random. AirVPN lets you forward up to 20 port numbers, and you can select the number from all the available port numbers, or tell their system you want a number of sequential ports. This is useful for apps like Soulseek where you need two ports and they have to be consecutive (eg. if you use port 13000 then you also need port 13001).

@xx00xx said: but they use sometimes shit upstreams like m247

M247 is very common for VPNs because they're one of the only providers that's okay with torrent/P2P traffic across all their network locations, including the USA. They're based in Romania. In fact I don't think I've seen any VPN with US-based locations that allow torrenting that aren't using M247...

• @sandoz said:
    I laugh when I Saw WindScribe! They are full logged.

For privacy: iPredator VPN (Njal.la VPN now), Mullvad VPN, OVPN

PIA was great but know bought by CyberGhost full logged (possibility)

How Windscribe, IVPN, PIA are privacy based? When they ask for Address, Postal Code, Name, Telephone, Email?

Take a look in Mullvad VPN how they deal with registration of users, that's a good privacy VPN take it as good example.

If you want speed and good performance (privacy / can be logged) PureVPN, AirVPN

Windscribe doesn't ask for your address, postal code, name, or telephone. It asks for your email but you don't have to give it (it's optional). I do agree that Mullvad is good, though.

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited December 2021

@Daniel15 said: AirVPN

I admit I'm not very familiar with that, so can't comment either way.

The port being random is kinda irrelevant to me. Once you get one assigned, it's tied to the Wireguard key, so you just have to set up your device and you're good to go indefinitely. Having more would be nice though, you can have 5 at Mullvad.

• @Daniel15 said:

@xx00xx said: but they use sometimes shit upstreams like m247

M247 is very common for VPNs because they're one of the only providers that's okay with torrent/P2P traffic across all their network locations, including the USA. They're based in Romania. In fact I don't think I've seen any VPN with US-based locations that allow torrenting that aren't using M247...

I have, but M247 is very, very common.

• @Chronic said: I admit I'm not very familiar with that, so can't comment either way.

They're great. See the status page where they show how much bandwidth is currently in use per server, plus a log of recent issues (downtime, packet loss, etc): https://airvpn.org/status/. I don't know of any other VPN provider that's that open about their servers.

Thanked by 1Chronic

@Nekki said:
    @jbiloh could we get @jsg’s custom role changed to ‘Captain Wall o’Text’, thanks.

Right after you getting an "idiotic 1 liner writer and reader" tag ;)