Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you do with Windows VPSes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you do with Windows VPSes?

Hello everyone,do you guys use windows Vpses?I want to konw what a windows vps can do just out of curiosity.It's not convenient for common use.Does anyone give me some examples?
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• typicalGtaTGtypicalGtaTG Member, Host Rep

A windows VPS can be useful for some people like if you wanna make a live stream or install plesk on it for webhosting. Or just use it as an RDP for it can come handy at times.

Idk what else you'd wanna get one for, but that's just all the ones I've found so far.

• Run QQ & Telegram

Thanked by 1mruczek
  • RDP mostly, you can install your programs and files and access them anywhere like work, school, home, on the run (phone or tablet)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Legit people do not run Windows on a VPS. It genuinely does not have any legit usages on a VPS.

Thus, the end is nigh.

Thanked by 2yoursunny Unixfy
  • Sanjue007Sanjue007 Member
    edited December 2021

for most of the time editing purposes not in a vps but using a dedicated server

• Game servers.

I have run game server (RF Online Gameserver), or you can run any game server which you should have min 8GB of ram and 2 core CPU (from my opinion).

• edoarudo5edoarudo5 Member
    edited December 2021

I only run Windows on VPS with dedicated cores. RDP, using it as a workstation. I run a bitcoin full node on it. All my Plex servers run on Windows Server 2019 paired with StableBit CloudDrive using my unlimited google drive account. I use it to download linux ISOs using an old qbittorrent client which is whitelisted on all the private trackers I'm in. I use 2 Windows dedicated servers to host multiple Hyper-V vms that run on RHEL/Ubuntu/Debian which runs private DNS resolvers for my private network and Directadmin instances to host personal websites and services.

Thanked by 1dev077
  • I used to use one as a Jenkins build server for a few open-source apps.

• .Net apps

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2021

@Nekki said:
    .Net apps

*Old .NET apps. Linux support arrived in the last few years. It'll take some time for everyone to migrate off 4.x but .NET 5 is ready for production use cross platform.

• @jackb said:

@Nekki said:
    .Net apps

*Old .NET apps. Linux support arrived in the last few years. It'll take some time for everyone to migrate off 4.x but .NET 5 is ready for production use cross platform.

Well yes, but half the stuff people have mentioned you could do on Linux.

@Nekki said:

@jackb said:

@Nekki said:
    .Net apps

Well yes, but half the stuff people have mentioned you could do on Linux.

Yup, there's not much reason to run a Windows server these days IMO.

• @jackb said: Yup, there's not much reason to run a Windows server these days IMO.

A lot of enterprise stuff still needs Windows (for no good reason often), but for the hobbyist, I would agree. Personally I only used to use it for desktops when I was a Unix n00b.

@Nekki said:

@jackb said: Yup, there's not much reason to run a Windows server these days IMO.

A lot of enterprise stuff still needs Windows (for no good reason often), but for the hobbyist, I would agree. Personally I only used to use it for desktops when I was a Unix n00b.

Even on the enterprise side, it's reducing. My 'day job' is on enterprise .NET and we're almost there.

No doubt it'll remain Windows as most common as my employer's branding largely revolves around MS technologies, but we'll have the option available soon.

• @jackb said: Even on the enterprise side, it's reducing. My 'day job' is on enterprise .NET and we're almost there.

MS are fighting it hard tho. Stuff like the Azure Hybrid benefit means you get double bubble for your core licences and your cloud Windows VMs are the same price as Linux. As much as they're clearly making a play for LinuxLand by porting .Net and PowerShell, they don't seem ready to give up on Windows quite yet.

• rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider

From what we could see, customers is creative enough in their Windows VPS usage:

IPSec VPN;
    Spamming forums and forms using spamming tools (Hrumer and analogues);
    Game servers (mostly with unlicensed game server software);
    Mining crypto currencies;
    Captcha brootforcing;
    Parsing the internet;
    Site and services hosting;
    Accounting software (usable for entities).

• @zhi said:
    Run QQ & Telegram

Telegrams runs fine on Linux

• Mostly abuse or other grey area activities unless you are corporate user, in which case its legit and mostly boring stuff that could be done better and more efficiently in Linux.