Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier 4cpu & 24GB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier 4cpu & 24GB

ArkasArkas Moderator

Anyone tried this? It supposedly works great with aapanel, and supports ssh and let's encrypt.

Comments

• There are some discussion in this topic: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/160260/oracle-cloud-free-tier

Aside that, I'm using oracle free tier ARM instances with success - SSH available and Let's Encrypt works without problem.

Thanked by 1Arkas
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

An out of stock product was automatically removed from the cart.

Out of host capacity.

Thanked by 1wpyoga
  • @yoursunny said:

Out of host capacity.

solution for this problem:
    https://hitrov.medium.com/resolving-oracle-cloud-out-of-capacity-issue-and-getting-free-vps-with-4-arm-cores-24gb-of-a3d7e6a027a8

Thanked by 1Bertie
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@yoursunny said:

Out of host capacity.

Keep in mind, never reboot, ever.
    Imagine if one of the DC's looses power once, the outcry going to be disastrous.

• @Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

Out of host capacity.

Imagine if one of the DC's looses power once, the outcry going to be disastrous.

Dont understand, never reboot?
    I understand if we terminate the instance will go back into pool and others will grab it
    But rebooting an instance shouldn't result in lost?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@forces said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

Out of host capacity.

I understand if we terminate the instance will go back into pool and others will grab it

• forcesforces Member
    edited December 2021

@Neoon said:

@forces said:

@Neoon said:

@yoursunny said:

Out of host capacity.

Did reboot before and this does not happened, but granted it was the first few days of this new launch, not much hype back then
    After that never really have to go into oci anymore, all my oracle served only as backup instance so rarely needed to login
    Btw, why stop? There is reboot in oci web panel..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2021

@Neoon said: Keep in mind, never reboot, ever.

You can reboot via command in the machina itself, just not via the Oracle Panel.

@forces said: There is reboot in oci web panel..

It is implemented in such a way (I believe power off/on) that you can run into the "Out of stock" issue with it.

• @rm_ said:

It is implemented in such a way (I believe power off/on) that you can run into the "Out of stock" issue with it.

Alright...then i must avoid exactly that...

• Nice to see a fresh thread about Oracle old one became monstrous.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

They lost me when they couldn't accept my debit card. That gave me the impression they lack serious competency.

• BlazinDimesBlazinDimes Member
    edited December 2021

@risharde said:
    They lost me when they couldn't accept my debit card. That gave me the impression they lack serious competency.

They wouldn't accept any of my lesser known online banks cards, credit cards will net the best results but my debit from BBVA worked. They are now out of business though which is hilarious.

I didn't know all this about the scarcity of the 4core/24gb, I have one idling and now I'm glad I do.

• @BlazinDimes said:

@risharde said:

They wouldn't accept any of my lesser known online banks cards, credit cards will net the best results but my debit from BBVA worked. They are now out of business though which is hilarious.

I didn't know all this about the scarcity of the 4core/24gb, I have one idling and now I'm glad I do.

If you just signed up, the pool for your 30 days is different than after. After the first 30 days they take it down and you have to recreate from the free pool.

• If you just signed up, the pool for your 30 days is different than after. After the first 30 days they take it down and you have to recreate from the free pool.

In my case, I didn't have to do that after the 30 days trial. I have the three servers from Oracle. I have never been denied. And I've destroyed and recreated that 24GB 4oCPU instance dozens of times now.

• @risharde said:

That's Oracle. To be fair, I don't think it's their "A-Team" or even "B-Team".

• @Xrmaddness said:

@BlazinDimes said:

@risharde said:

If you just signed up, the pool for your 30 days is different than after. After the first 30 days they take it down and you have to recreate from the free pool.

Oh I've been on the free tier for a while. lol. During the trial I had no need for the 4c/24g

• My instance got turned off twice already and I couldnt turn it back on, I needed to recreate it. Dont use it for prod or backup.

X86 are rock solid from like half a year tho, I use them for very small websites and no issues so far.

Thanked by 1BlazinDimes
  • @risharde said:

In my case VISA debit card worked fine and I know MasterCard debit works also without problems. At least here in Poland. Are you sure that your risk factor wasnt high? VPN, location, IP... they can blame it on card even if they reject because of something other.

• ArkasArkas Moderator

@AXYZE said: Dont use it for prod or backup

I was thinking of using it for backups, but it doesn't sound stable.

• @Arkas said:

@AXYZE said: Dont use it for prod or backup

I was thinking of using it for backups, but it doesn't sound stable.

For backups you can use x86 instance, its good enough. If you want use ARM then I recommend you to get smalest boot volume possible (47GB) and make seperate block storage and connect that to ARM instance. Even if you will delete your ARM instance you can reconnect block instance to new or x86 instance without any problems.
    You have 200GB to use per account (that includes boot volumes + block storage) so you can for example make 1x x86 + 1x ARM and then 100GB block storage volume which could be connected to x86 and ARM. :)

Thanked by 3Arkas raynor tux
  • This has been a great test rig, the ram amount for free is ridiculous

• @AXYZE said: My instance got turned off twice already and I couldnt turn it back on, I needed to recreate it. Dont use it for prod or backup.

Weird, my ARM instance has over 180 days of uptime and has been running several stuff that I use daily.

But yes, using a free tier of anything for prod is asking for trouble (unless it's only prod for you and you are fine with suddenly not being there anymore at anytime, but I would say that about half of the providers here LOL)

Thanked by 1BlazinDimes
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2021

@Ouji said:

@AXYZE said: My instance got turned off twice already and I couldnt turn it back on, I needed to recreate it. Dont use it for prod or backup.

Weird, my ARM instance has over 180 days of uptime and has been running several stuff that I use daily.

But yes, using a free tier of anything for prod is asking for trouble (unless it's only prod for you and you are fine with suddenly not being there anymore at anytime, but I would say that about half of the providers here LOL)

Which datacenter? Mine is FRA

• I run a public pi-hole instance on this because I'm an asshole.

Thanked by 2Erisa kalipus
  • @AXYZE said: Which datacenter? Mine is FRA

Sao Paulo, BR

• @edoarudo5 said:
    I run a public pi-hole instance on this because I'm an asshole.

You're only an asshole if you allow it to be used in DNS amplification attacks.

• @TimboJones said:

@edoarudo5 said:
    I run a public pi-hole instance on this because I'm an asshole.

You're only an asshole if you allow it to be used in DNS amplification attacks.

I have rate-limiting in place. It's pounded hard though. Oh, and I have accounts in two regions, hehe.

• @AXYZE said:
    My instance got turned off twice already and I couldnt turn it back on, I needed to recreate it. Dont use it for prod or backup.

X86 are rock solid from like half a year tho, I use them for very small websites and no issues so far.

even if your instance got turn off and unable to recreate, the boot volume with data should still be there?

• BlazinDimesBlazinDimes Member
    edited December 2021

@AXYZE said:
    Which datacenter? Mine is FRA

@Ouji said:
    Sao Paulo, BR

Mine is Ashburn, VA and it has been idling for months without issue, but thats mostly because I do worry that the moment I use it for anything is when its going to get taken away. :D So I just check on it occasionally and end up doing whatever task I need elsewhere.

• Be warned, though, I got kicked out of Oracle for no reason. I didn't do anything dodgy and they didn't (or couldn't) want to say why my account got suspended. Very frustrating. Maybe it was a fluke and bad luck on my end, but I just wanted to mention it.