Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Kimsufi] New range released ! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Kimsufi] New range released !

Comments

• @Shot2 said:

@mrclown said:

@wii747 said:
    How can you list and sell an KS-1 when you launch the new range there is no stock of it?

Same story as the old KS-1/KS2 never in stock.

Many people used API to automate purchases. KS-1/KS-2 are in stock from time to time but rarely appear to our eyes.

OVH boulangers are too stupid to implement some reasonable limits.

• Hi Monsieur OVH, I want to buy your 600 baguettes, to resell them at twice the price
    • Certainly Monsieur, as boulangers we don't give a fuck about our other customers anyway

Doesn't seem stupid to me. They are a business, if someone wants to buy in bulk at the standard price and transfers are pretty much automated rather than requiring support hassle then it is a win for them: a large number of units rented, many of which won't have immediate support needs as the bulk buyer won't be able to pass them all on immediately. If someone wanted to buy all your stock without trying to negotiate a discount, would you tell them where to go?

• @GodSpeed said:

@allthemtings said:

@GodSpeed said:
    I have not received my KS-LE so far. already 8 days.

Is your account validated?

Yes. my order is currently being processed. not a manual check status.

Same position as me mate I rang them and they said because it’s out of stock it’s being processed could take some time it’s been 3 days already

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said:

@Shot2 said:

@mrclown said:

@wii747 said:
    How can you list and sell an KS-1 when you launch the new range there is no stock of it?

Same story as the old KS-1/KS2 never in stock.

Many people used API to automate purchases. KS-1/KS-2 are in stock from time to time but rarely appear to our eyes.

OVH boulangers are too stupid to implement some reasonable limits.

• Hi Monsieur OVH, I want to buy your 600 baguettes, to resell them at twice the price
    • Certainly Monsieur, as boulangers we don't give a fuck about our other customers anyway

Doesn't seem stupid to me. They are a business, if someone wants to buy in bulk at the standard price and transfers are pretty much automated rather than requiring support hassle then it is a win for them: a large number of units rented, many of which won't have immediate support needs as the bulk buyer won't be able to pass them all on immediately. If someone wanted to buy all your stock without trying to negotiate a discount, would you tell them where to go?

Well, by being ok with selling all your stock to 1 client then having all your products permanently OOS, you just send your 99 other existing clients (and 999 future clients) to your competitors. Well done.

Thanked by 1SteveMC
  • @darkimmortal said:
    KS-17 is a nice deal, bought one to decide between it and KS-LE

How are the port speeds (ipv4/v6 up/down)? :)

• @Shot2 said:

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:

Well, by being ok with selling all your stock to 1 client then having all your products permanently OOS, you just send your 99 other existing clients (and 999 future clients) to your competitors. Well done.

Some prefer many small clients, some are happy otherwise. Their business their choice. They don't seem to be struggling because of it! There are not many providers with similar offerings, so instead of going elsewhere most just complain about no stock and sit & wait for something to come back at which point they grab it.

Remember: this is a “make what you can with the old stock before it dies” range, not a premium range.

• @MeAtExampleDotCom said: sit & wait for something to come back at which point they grab it.

And you don't have inventory in the rack not running and waiting for somebody to buy later on: hardware and DC space are used to their fullest potential. Makes sense.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2021

@MeAtExampleDotCom said:
    Their business their choice.

Exactly :) If they can live with us the many "small" disgruntled customers (due to permanent OOS allowing no upgrades, or burning wooden datacenters): their choice, and we can just vote with our (cyber-)feet :)
    Still, it does not make their behavioural choice less inconvenient to us :)

And you don't have inventory in the rack not running and waiting for somebody to buy later on: hardware and DC space are used to their fullest potential. Makes sense.

Oh, and I thought that was what the "setup fee" (e.g. setting up then powering up the machine) was about... ;) (irony - I know it's just an improperly-named customer-lock-in trick)

• @Shot2 said: improperly-named customer-lock-in trick

Yeah - it's nothing more than a trick to make you feel like "I can't cancel, I paid a setup fee". They don't care if the server changes owner as it's fully automated. But they don't want to have racks full of servers waiting for a customers, even more so on their cheapest (lowest margin) offering. If when a customer drops it, another takes it using the API for them it's ideal: the server is always rented.

• Anymore coming back into stock before the deal ends which is when? just so I know when to stop thinking about checking.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited December 2021

Any testimony about the speeds measured on this new KS range? (ks-LE excluded, we have already too mucho feedback)

• Has anyone got the KS-GAME at all? I want to see a yabs...

• LOL these guys are good :D

Inventing non-existent "setup fees" that result in errors, well done

• @Shot2 said:
    LOL these guys are good :D

Inventing non-existent "setup fees" that result in errors, well done

Is that KS-Le? My ten days. Never delivered. :)

• @dahartigan said:
    Has anyone got the KS-GAME at all? I want to see a yabs...

KS-GAME-1

# ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-10-09                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Fri Dec  3 11:51:10 UTC 2021

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2794.981 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 1.9 GiB
    Disk       : 218.0 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 127.09 MB/s  (31.7k) | 161.13 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Write      | 127.42 MB/s  (31.8k) | 161.97 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Total      | 254.52 MB/s  (63.6k) | 323.11 MB/s   (5.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 167.14 MB/s    (326) | 168.12 MB/s    (164)
    Write      | 176.02 MB/s    (343) | 179.31 MB/s    (175)
    Total      | 343.17 MB/s    (669) | 347.43 MB/s    (339)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Provider        | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                    |                           |                 |
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 95.4 Mbits/sec  | 505 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 95.4 Mbits/sec  | busy
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 95.1 Mbits/sec  | 510 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 15.9 Mbits/sec  | 206 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 39.3 Mbits/sec  | 271 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 29.6 Mbits/sec  | 221 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 26.0 Mbits/sec  | 264 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 17.1 Mbits/sec  | 159 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 847 Mbits/sec   | 710 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 791 Mbits/sec   | 690 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 796 Mbits/sec   | 721 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 224 Mbits/sec   | 127 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 399 Mbits/sec   | 273 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 419 Mbits/sec   | 101 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1184
    Multi Core      | 4411
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11393281

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Atom N2800, can it run docker ?

• Just curious - KS-LE is permanently sold out, BF/CM are over - will you remove the KS-LE from the list? It's more or less obvious that "SOLD OUT" is its permanent state.

• @iKeyZ said:

@dahartigan said:
    Has anyone got the KS-GAME at all? I want to see a yabs...

KS-GAME-1

#              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2021-10-09                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Fri Dec  3 11:51:10 UTC 2021

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2794.981 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ✔ Enabled
    RAM        : 15.6 GiB
    Swap       : 1.9 GiB
    Disk       : 218.0 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 127.09 MB/s  (31.7k) | 161.13 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Write      | 127.42 MB/s  (31.8k) | 161.97 MB/s   (2.5k)
    Total      | 254.52 MB/s  (63.6k) | 323.11 MB/s   (5.0k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 167.14 MB/s    (326) | 168.12 MB/s    (164)
    Write      | 176.02 MB/s    (343) | 179.31 MB/s    (175)
    Total      | 343.17 MB/s    (669) | 347.43 MB/s    (339)

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 95.4 Mbits/sec  | 505 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 95.4 Mbits/sec  | busy
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 95.1 Mbits/sec  | 510 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 15.9 Mbits/sec  | 206 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 39.3 Mbits/sec  | 271 Mbits/sec
    Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 29.6 Mbits/sec  | 221 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 26.0 Mbits/sec  | 264 Mbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom  | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 17.1 Mbits/sec  | 159 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    Clouvider       | London, UK (10G)          | 847 Mbits/sec   | 710 Mbits/sec
    Online.net      | Paris, FR (10G)           | 791 Mbits/sec   | 690 Mbits/sec
    WorldStream     | The Netherlands (10G)     | 796 Mbits/sec   | 721 Mbits/sec
    WebHorizon      | Singapore (1G)            | 224 Mbits/sec   | 127 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 399 Mbits/sec   | 273 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider       | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 419 Mbits/sec   | 101 Mbits/sec

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 1184
    Multi Core      | 4411
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/11393281

IPv6 is not limited to 100mbps? Nice.

• How does this compare to the LE?

Intel Xeon E3-1225v2 - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - 3x 2To HDD Soft RAID

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited December 2021

19.99 eur setup fee. what do you "set up" on these old, re-used servers?

would upgrade my old KS-9 to KS-17, but in principle the setup fee is stopping me (for now).

• @ninzo59 please FREE setup fee for christmas when paying quarterly

Thanked by 2chedenaz tux
  • @Adam1 said:
    19.99 eur setup fee. what do you "set up" on these old, re-used servers?

would upgrade my old KS-9 to KS-17, but in principle the setup fee is stopping me (for now).

Not that I agree with the practise or anything (I don't), but I believe the setup fee is usually present on these products to deter people from buying for a single month or similar and then immediately cancelling, causing some poor technician to have to make sure the server is okay for resale and clear out all its data and etc (simple reinstall wouldnt be enough for removing all the residue data from the drive, assuming they want to keep the previous customers data safe)

... and all of this just proves exactly why having it waived for quarterly makes the most sense, because theyre getting a guarantee that the customer wont immediately drop out of the contract. So no idea why Kimsufi doesn't.

• There is no such thing as a poor OVH technician wiping out hard drives etc. Installation & wiping data & health check hardware & delivery & email sending is fully automated. The "setup" in "setup fee" is just a lie.

It's just a weird attempt at vendor lock-in (sunk cost psychology etc.), so that disappointed/disgruntled customers refrain from cancelling hastily, until enough months have passed for their buttpain to ease.

Thanked by 2Zeniic tux
  • I support the idea of removing "setup fees", when paid quarterly, and to add "setup fees" when a server is transferred to another customer. After all, a transfer requires a manual action...

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • @SteveMC said:
    and to add "setup fees" when a server is transferred to another customer. After all, a transfer requires a manual action...

Don't say that, Hetzner literally has a feature to transfer servers free of cost, without support's intervention.

• @Smith42 said:

@SteveMC said:
    and to add "setup fees" when a server is transferred to another customer. After all, a transfer requires a manual action...

Don't say that, Hetzner literally has a feature to transfer servers free of cost, without support's intervention.

That doesn't mean all providers do. Setup fees normally attract longer-term clients rather than people who only own the server for a month or so.

A €15 setup fee is not that much if you plan on keeping the server the next year or two, I don't really agree with them as such, but it's there..

• @SteveMC said: After all, a transfer requires a manual action...

it doesnt have to and could be automated.

• @darkimmortal said:
    KS-17 is a nice deal, bought one to decide between it and KS-LE

My KS-17 has good SSDs, Intel SSD DC S4500 Series rated at 900 TBW and with 1K/5K power on hours.

However there are downsides with the KS-17:

• Motherboard is Asus P8H77-M PRO, desktop-grade board unlike Supermicro X9* in the KS-LE
    • No ECC, glossed over this omission on the listing, it is sad to see a Xeon paired with desktop board and RAM
    • Realtek NIC

*Maybe one day we can get the IPMI exposed in the control panel ;)

Any YABS for KS-17? thinking to get it for a project.

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • @DanSummer said: Any YABS for KS-17? thinking to get it for a project.

yeah this would be good. particularly bandwidth and ssd perf.

Motherboard is Asus P8H77-M PRO, desktop-grade board unlike Supermicro X9* in the KS-LE

This is of concern to me, a nearly 10 year old ASUS desktop board... it's only a matter of time before it fails, my experience of asus boards of this era is great features, terrible reliability.

• If the motherboard fails ovh will have to replace it for free. What's the worry about?

Thanked by 3BlazinDimes Erisa tux
  • BlazinDimesBlazinDimes Member
    edited December 2021

@Adam1 said:

@DanSummer said: Any YABS for KS-17? thinking to get it for a project.

yeah this would be good. particularly bandwidth and ssd perf.

Motherboard is Asus P8H77-M PRO, desktop-grade board unlike Supermicro X9* in the KS-LE

This is of concern to me, a nearly 10 year old ASUS desktop board... it's only a matter of time before it fails, my experience of asus boards of this era is great features, terrible reliability.

I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V LK in my home server and its still running great, this was an entry level desktop board in 2012. Have yet to have a failure, the elecrolytics even still look great.

I also have a stripped down ASUS K53Z laptop from the same year as a mini server that has over 50,000 hours on it, runs great for an AMD A12 powered rig.

My experience with ASUS has probably been uncommonly good though.