Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

aws free tier data transfer expansion
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• Data Transfer from Amazon CloudFront is now free for up to 1 TB of data per month (up from 50 GB), and is no longer limited to the first 12 months after signup. We are also raising the number of free HTTP and HTTPS requests from 2,000,000 to 10,000,000, and removing the 12 month limit on the 2,000,000 free CloudFront Function invocations per month.

My AWS math sucks. I assume it's not 100% free?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

This is actually pretty massive, will make a lot of small projects easily able to run on AWS' free tier where as before it would have been a bit of a push to host them with such small transfer allowances.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Why ? Due to Oracle Cloud Free Tier ?

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@Saahib said:
    Why ? Due to Oracle Cloud Free Tier ?

Unlikely it's Oracle putting the pressure on, CloudFlare is more likely the problem. Probably more to encourage people to continue buying in to AWS now that there are starting to be some competition (CF Pages, Workers R2).

The Free Tier has always been to try and get developers to buy in to their ecosystem so they then prefer to use it at work. 1TB of CDN is enough for most developer's pet projects and keeps them happy with AWS.

I suspect most Oracle non-free tier users are people who have used Oracle for a long time rather than new users from the free tier.

Thanked by 1cadddr
  • well the singup prosees for me is mess they only accepting CC and always recognise debit card as prepaid card I dont think oracle cloud can do much with GCP AWS or Azure . theres so much free serverless provider lately where can act as alternative

• @polz said:
    well the singup prosees for me is mess they only accepting CC and always recognise debit card as prepaid card

+1
    I prefer to use debit card for online payments. I attempt to use debit card during registrations and always fails.

• AFAIK you can't pay AWS using Debit Card either. Which makes Oracle the better choice for small developers, since the VPS is always free.

• @wpyoga said:
    AFAIK you can't pay AWS using Debit Card either. Which makes Oracle the better choice for small developers, since the VPS is always free.

hmm, have been using lightsail since start of the year with my debit card..