Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the difference between DHCP & IP and Dedicated IPv4?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the difference between DHCP & IP and Dedicated IPv4?

Hi there

I run a normal blog site, I recently came across offer which gives decent specifications but they state that it is a DHCP Connection & IP, is this bad? What does it exactly mean? Could my site suffer in the long term if I get more traffic? What are the pros and cons, compared to a Dedicated IPv4 which my server currently has compared to a DHCP Connection & IP?

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Personally, I've never seen or hear the term "DHCP Connection & IP" being used ever.

It's most likely NAT.

• Perhaps they are running the server from a home connection.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • edited November 2021

DHCP would be random IP, but you need to check with provider, which IP address that DHCP, internal IPv4? Public IPv4? Or Public IPv6? I believe the former and latter will not make any difference on your blog.

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2021

I was told that it is a Shared IP (NAT IP) that will only be assigned to my server, so I was just curious what it exactly meant by that. They said it would be assigned to bypass the bandwidth hard limit so I can access 1 Gbps @ Unmetered instead of having a hard cap at 48TB p/mo

• @sgno1 said:
    I was told that it is a Shared IP (NAT IP) that will only be assigned to my server, so I was just curious what it exactly meant by that. They said it would be assigned to bypass the bandwidth hard limit so I can access 1 Gbps @ Unmetered instead of having a hard cap at 48TB p/mo

Nat vps means it would be harder to set up some things.

• For short, this means that once every X minutes (the DHCP lease time) you could end up with a new IP address. Personally I would stay away from this, as it will bring unnecessary overhead to administration.

Probably the best question would be: is your time worth the savings?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

With dynamic/NAT IP, you can still host a blog via cloudflared.

Rabbit hole entrance:
    http://blog.cloudflare.com/tunnel-for-everyone/

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@chocolateshirt said:
    DHCP would be random IP, but you need to check with provider, which IP address that DHCP, internal IPv4? Public IPv4? Or Public IPv6? I believe the former and latter will not make any difference on your blog.

Not always. For example, KVM with solusvm has DHCP for v4 but will only assign the IP specified in solus.

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@sgno1 said:
    Hi there

I run a normal blog site, I recently came across offer which gives decent specifications but they state that it is a DHCP Connection & IP, is this bad? What does it exactly mean? Could my site suffer in the long term if I get more traffic? What are the pros and cons, compared to a Dedicated IPv4 which my server currently has compared to a DHCP Connection & IP?

Simply ask them whether the IP you'd get via DHCP is a static one or a changing one.

Short explanation: while in LANs IPs via DHCP very often are changing ones ("dynamic IP") one can also serve de facto static ones, usually linked to the (not changing) MAC of the network card.
    Some providers do that, they provide (quasi static) IPs to the virtual machines via DHCP because such they can also serve other information like e.g. the gateway IP which makes life easier both for themselves (no editing or filling in templates) and in particular for customers with little experience.

TL;DR DHCP can mean dynamic IPs or static IPs. The latter is what you want, so ask for that information.

Thanked by 1sgno1
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited November 2021

@jsg said:

@sgno1 said:
    Hi there

Simply ask them whether the IP you'd get via DHCP is a static one or a changing one.

Short explanation: while in LANs IPs via DHCP very often are changing ones ("dynamic IP") one can also serve de facto static ones, usually linked to the (not changing) MAC of the network card.
    Some providers do that, they provide (quasi static) IPs to the virtual machines via DHCP because such they can also serve other information like e.g. the gateway IP which makes life easier both for themselves (no editing or filling in templates) and in particular for customers with little experience.

TL;DR DHCP can mean dynamic IPs or static IPs. The latter is what you want, so ask for that information.

No, it doesn't. You actually mean "reserve" everywhere above, not "static".

I'm not being pedantic. Dhcp will renew the IP regularly whereas static does not. The words are giveaways.

A tech says "I've assigned you static IP 123.123.123.133"

Jsg: "great, I'll just plug in my Ethernet cable and it will do sweet fuck all because static IP's are not reserved DHCP IP's."

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Funny. Obviously the quite a few providers who support DHCP served IPs, well noted, always the same ("just like a static IP"), as well as academic literature and relevant RFCs all got it wrong and @TimboJones alone got it right.

Of course.

• @jsg said:
    Funny. Obviously the quite a few providers who support DHCP served IPs, well noted, always the same ("just like a static IP"), as well as academic literature and relevant RFCs all got it wrong and @TimboJones alone got it right.

Of course.

Such as?