Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[MLNL.Host] Storage VPS anyone? We're thinking about them
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[MLNL.Host] Storage VPS anyone? We're thinking about them

jayjayjayjay Member, Host Rep

Hi all!

The cheesiest hosting company is back! - I mean we never left, but we're back with a very important question for you millennials (ok fine zoomers too)

My partner @randvegeta and I have been talking about offering Storage VPSs, and with all the intense Black Friday talks we thought we'd come ask in the one place where we can expect brutally honest feedback.

Initial thoughts are to offer KVM VPSs with at least 250 GB storage (with additional plans offering increments in disk space), all on 1 Gbps lines (although speeds shouldn't be too important because erm its a VPS for backups).

Would this be of interest to anyone?
What would you expect spec wise?
What's the max amount of space you'd expect on a Storage VM?
Any other comments?

Thanks all!

Storage VPS
  1. Storage VPS in Hong Kong?77 votes
    1. Yay
      53.25%
    2. Nay
      46.75%

Comments

• No pricing, no feedback. Everyone gonna click Yay because CHEAP and then turns out not cheap due to HK.

Also no idea how many people need Hong Kong for storage.

Thanked by 3miu bulbasaur rodnorth
  • Nay

• 2 TB less than 50$ yearly. i would buy it

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

nah mate. If its meant for backup then go with sg for cheaper bandwidth and space

• jayjayjayjay Member, Host Rep

@JabJab said:
    No pricing, no feedback. Everyone gonna click Yay because CHEAP and then turns out not cheap due to HK.

Also no idea how many people need Hong Kong for storage.

Fair, we'll post some potential pricing soon.> @skorupion said:

nah mate. If its meant for backup then go with sg for cheaper bandwidth and space

Care to share price/spec?

• I don't really see the appeal in a HK storage VPS since HK is mainly good for latency which isn't really useful for storage VPS.

• afnafn Member
    edited November 2021

@jayjay said: Initial thoughts are to offer KVM VPSs with at least 250 GB storage

Storage VPSes are measured in TBs here. (see pulsedmedia, serisen and other offers). The moment you are writing "GB" few days before BF, it's a Nay.

Specially that most people here (I guess?) are from EU/NA so no one really needs his storage in HK. HK location might be required for people deploying apps and want nodes in Asia, etc, but I hardly doubt anyone here will find it attractive for storage, not at HK pricing since it is an expensive location.

(my 2 cents... feel free to disagree)

• Not sure who wants storage in HK, but it’s definitely not me.

Thanked by 1Wicked
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Sure. 125 HKD/year for 250GB and I'll buy.

• I don't have any Hong Kong money

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said: Sure. 125 HKD/year for 250GB and I'll buy.

I guess it depends on how much bandwidth, ram and CPU is actually needed.

HK$125/yr = US$16, or about US$1.33 /month.

Since a 10TB disk is around $200, assuming no redundancy at all, the cost of the disk can be covered easily enough, but I don't know how much CPU/RAM/Bandwidth can be supplied with the rest of the budget.

How much do you think you need?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate
    edited November 2021

@randvegeta said:

Since a 10TB disk is around $200, assuming no redundancy at all, the cost of the disk can be covered easily enough, but I don't know how much CPU/RAM/Bandwidth can be supplied with the rest of the budget.

My current backup server is USD 15/year:

• Chicago
    • crappy CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • 250GB HDD
    • 3TB monthly transfer, but I only need 500GB max and 100GB avg
    • dedicated IPv4, but I only need NAT

If you make a product for backup purpose, this is the plan to compete against.
    Look at this table if you want to know which provider.
    Hong Kong location is not a factor for backup, except in the rare case of regulatory restrictions.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@yoursunny said:

@randvegeta said:

My current backup server is USD 15/year:

• Chicago
    • crappy CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • 250GB HDD
    • 3TB monthly transfer, but I only need 500GB max and 100GB avg
    • dedicated IPv4, but I only need NAT

If you make a product for backup purpose, this is the plan to compete against.
    Look at this table if you want to know which provider.
    Hong Kong location is not a factor for backup, except in the rare case of regulatory restrictions.

With a crappy CPU, minimal RAM and NAT.. should be easily done I think.

• @randvegeta said:

I would love a non-NAT ipv4 VPS at this price

@kheng86 said:

@randvegeta said:

Watch out for our Black Friday deals coming up - can't say it's going to be that cheap but may still interest you!

• @jayjay said:
    Watch out for our Black Friday deals coming up - can't say it's going to be that cheap but may still interest you!

Interesting, could you... hint at when that might be?

• @jayjay said:

@kheng86 said:

@randvegeta said:

I'm looking forward for some annual APAC Storage plans

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2021

I am thinking about HK servers for 2€ with IPv4.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited November 2021

sweet spot would be 1TB RAID for $30 annually.

1 core is enough, ram depends on generosity. have seen anything from 512MB - 2GB, really depends on the hardware (DDR3/DDR4) i guess.

naturally for APAC location the traffic would be less. so how about 1.5TB or so.
    10Gbps non premium bandwidth will be a huge bonus, but anything less than 1gbps (125MB/s) burstable isnt much of incentive these days.

if cost of HDD is easily recoverable then it makes sense to go big on dics, to offset IPv4 and Traffic costs

if it makes sense to shave off IPv4 and go NAT+IPv6, why not explore that as well if it translates to either lower price or better config.

Brutal Honest Feedback™

@Neoon said:
    I am thinking about HK servers for 2€ with IPv4.

@cybertech said:
    sweet spot would be 1TB RAID for $30 annually.

1 core is enough, ram depends on generosity. have seen anything from 512MB - 2GB, really depends on the hardware (DDR3/DDR4) i guess.

naturally for APAC location the traffic would be less. so how about 1.5TB or so.
    10Gbps non premium bandwidth will be a huge bonus, but anything less than 1gbps (125MB/s) burstable isnt much of incentive these days.

if cost of HDD is easily recoverable then it makes sense to go big on dics, to offset IPv4 and Traffic costs

if it makes sense to shave off IPv4 and go NAT+IPv6, why not explore that as well if it translates to either lower price or better config.

Brutal Honest Feedback™

@Calvin said:

@jayjay said:

@kheng86 said:

@randvegeta said:

I'm looking forward for some annual APAC Storage plans

Thanks all! Appreciate all the feedback, keep it coming :smile: