Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happens on chargeback if provider runs away ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What happens on chargeback if provider runs away ?

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

What happens if you file for chargeback on transaction made through credit card but the company / provider actually ran away, ie. he/she had plan to commit fraud right from start once they amassed desired number of customers / amount.
Since they have taken out money from their bank account and are no where to been seen, will bank still entertain chargeback ?

What I have read so far that there is provision of chargeback (for consumer protection) if you don't receive desired service or goods promised by seller /provider. In normal scenario, bank deduct seller account and gives you money back if chargeback filed is deemed valid after investigation. However, if seller is absconding intentionally and bank can not recover money, what will then happen to customer, will he / she still gets money as its bank liability ?

Comments

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Depends where you are and whether you paid with a credit card, debit card or other.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2021

@jackb said:
    Depends where you are and whether you paid with a credit card, debit card or other.

Please look closely..

@Saahib said:
    chargeback on transaction made through credit card but the company /
    blah blah blah.....

And talking about India.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2021

@Saahib said:

@jackb said:

Please look closely..

@Saahib said:
    chargeback on transaction made through credit card but the company /
    blah blah blah.....

And talking about India.

1. You mean you are an Indian and paid a foreign company with your Indian Card?

Or

1. The company is registered in Indian?

If the second one, and the company is registered in India then go the "Consumer Court"

If you win (You will as you have prove) then the Court will give you the full refund, your lawyer fee, and compensation directly from the company's pocket.

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

Contack your bank. Most of them have some sort of insurance in those cases. Call your banks customer number, I am sure you will eventually get to chargeback department.

@ViridWeb
    Indian company, Indian card but gone company , GST dissolved / withdrawn. Probably made using fake docs. Already filed case cybercrime Govt. portal which is just meant make you feel good, but simply forward things back to local Police.

@skorupion
    That's what I asked, filed chargeback, since those people ran away, will bank still give chargeback ?

I heard that when you use CC, your all transactions are under some kind of consumer protection / insurance thing ?

• skorupionskorupion Member, Host Rep

@Saahib said:
    @ViridWeb
    Indian company, Indian card but gone company , GST dissolved / withdrawn. Probably made using fake docs. Already filed case cybercrime Govt. portal which is just meant make you feel good, but simply forward things back to local Police.

@skorupion
    That's what I asked, filed chargeback, since those people ran away, will bank still give chargeback ?

I heard that when you use CC, your all transactions are under some kind of consumer protection / insurance thing ?

Yes you will. You will get the money from consumer/insurance protection, or the bank.
    Just contact them.

• Depends which amount you pay. If your country of bank support instant CC chargeback request yes. If not just forget about it.

• @Saahib said: I heard that when you use CC, your all transactions are under some kind of consumer protection / insurance thing ?

In principle, yes, but there may be differences in practice across countries, so what is valid for the EU may not necessarily be valid for India.

As @skorupion said, at least in the EU, we would contact our bank in such a case.

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited November 2021

@angstrom said: at least in the EU, we would contact our bank in such a case.

You can always contact bank everywhere but all depends amount and bank review and processing fees.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited November 2021

@jenkki said:

@angstrom said: at least in the EU, we would contact our bank in such a case.

You can always contact bank everywhere but all depends amount and bank review and processing fees.

Of course.

But it may be that in some countries, banks decide more easily in favor of the consumer in such a case than in other countries.

It would also depend on the details of the case: the amount involved, etc.

• @Saahib said:

Depends on the country of issuance for the credit card. In the USA, in most cases, credit card will cover such charges.

• @ViridWeb said:

If the second one, and the company is registered in India then go the "Consumer Court"

Kindly check the time such cases take in consumer courts.

• @angstrom said: But it may be that in some countries, banks decide more easily in favor of the consumer in such a case than in other countries.

OP didn't describe about amount. If he looking for $5 chargeback trough bank it will be rude at least or processing fees may takes more than total amount.

edited November 2021

@jenkki said:
    OP didn't describe about amount. If he looking for $5 chargeback trough bank it will be rude at least or processing fees may takes more than total amount.

Amount is in tune of USD 2K

• @Saahib said: Amount is in tune of USD 2K

Call your bank and explain your situation. May be they help you if you provide them a proof.