Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PGP client mail?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PGP client mail?

perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
edited September 2013 in General

Just wondering, is anyone interested in receiving email from WHMCS and such with PGP encryption? You'd have to upload a PGP key and confirm your email address. Purpose would be exclusively encryption (not signing).

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Sadly not many people does use PGP. Anyway, I would enable that option on my WHMCS accounts if available.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2013

I'm working on something to do it via Postfix, with a separate web interface to upload the PGP key. That way no web applications need to be updated to use it. Pretty simple but I don't see anything like that done yet.

• This is a great idea, but I feel email encryption would outway privacy with hassle. There is just too many compatibility issues with PGP/GPG and modern email clients. In particularly S/MIME support. To maintain compatibility you would have to use inline PGP/GPG encryption - thus losing HTML formatting and pictures.

• @Silvenga said:

@perennate, @Silvenga makes a good point. Would you be able to do it so that some emails are encrypted and some are not? I too think it's a great idea, and too many people go the easy route and don't use encryption on their emails. But maybe you can only encrypt certain emails that have important information and don't need HTML formatting?

@RobJud said:
    perennate, Silvenga makes a good point. Would you be able to do it so that some emails are encrypted and some are not? I too think it's a great idea, and too many people go the easy route and don't use encryption on their emails. But maybe you can only encrypt certain emails that have important information and don't need HTML formatting?

That is possible but it would have to be detected by a Postfix content filter. I suppose it wouldn't be hard to add a setting that requires a certain header to be added to mark that an email specifically should or should not be encrypted.

Luna Node has beta at https://lunanode.com/gpgmw/ now

Let me know if you're interested in adding beta to your website. There will be commit to https://github.com/uakfdotb/gpg-mailgate soon.