Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you recommend for VDS/root server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you recommend for VDS/root server?

I have used netcup.eu root servers, from which I am happy in general.

Never tried anything else for dedicated virtual resources, so I was wondering if there is something else out there, also stable but cheaper than netcup.

Requirements:

• a couple of dedicated vcores*
  • >16GB RAM the more the better
  • preferably Europe, but don't care much
  • don't care for high performance disks
  • >=100mbps bw / ~1TB per month max, don't care for dedicated IP4 (nat is accepted, not ip6)

*vcpu doesnt have to be super-powerful (but not intel atom either) however I expect predictable/stable performance and that the software may hammer the CPU for long times.

(VDS/root server, what's the correct terminology anyway?)

Comments

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

netcup is a well priced option for vds. you could also look at php-friends and prepaid-hoster

Thanked by 1TerokNor
  • I’d stick with Netcup, as long as you’re OK with the yearly contract. You could also look at Hetzner dedis as well

Thanked by 1TerokNor
  • CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello, if you want we can offer you

6 dedicated cpu e5-2450l
    16 gb ram
    150 GB SSD

for 5e/monthly

If you are interested, write to me privately, we can offer you a test for 3 days

• PappeskePappeske Barred
    edited October 2021

@Calin said:

6 dedicated cpu e5-2450l
    16 gb ram
    150 GB SSD

for 5e/monthly

If you are interested, write to me privately, we can offer you a test for 3 days

Those 6 cores can be compared to 1 dedicated netcup core. Way to slow for any intensive tasks. Also, where is your provider tag?

• @Calin said:

6 dedicated cpu e5-2450l
    16 gb ram
    150 GB SSD

for 5e/monthly

Only if you offer wooden rack servers.

edited October 2021

Made 2 weeks ago , HP Gen 8 on rack

@Calin said:

6 dedicated cpu e5-2450l
    16 gb ram
    150 GB SSD

for 5e/monthly

5 euro?

yes , it's 5 euro

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

Honestly you won't find better pricing than those German providers.

Wishosting have this for $20/month. It's what they call a "Hybrid Server" which is essentially a dedicated server that only runs one VPS, giving you dedicated hardware but with the advantages of a VPS (start/stop through control panel, you can install from either standard images or ISO, etc):

V-Dedicated i5
    4 CPU cores i5-2400
    Dedicated CPU cores 3.1GHz
    15GB RAM
    1800GB HDD
    Linux/Windows OS
    Unmetered 100Mbps bandwidth
    1 IPv4
    DDoS protection
    Location - France

Their regular VPSes have "unlimited CPU", meaning you can use 100% constantly and they won't suspend you, but they're still shared CPUs so things can be throttled if everyone on the node is doing that. Sounds like it wouldn't suit your needs, but they have this one for $16/month that's pretty good for the price. The cores are quite slow, but you get 8 of them:

KVM SSD Plus AMS
    8 vCPU cores Xeon E5 2650Lv2
    Unlimited CPU cores 1.9GHz Turbo
    32GB ECC RAM
    100GB SSD
    Linux/Windows OS
    Bandwidth 250Mbps
    Traffic 2TB
    1 IPv4
    Location - Netherlands

BuyVM have dedicated cores on the plans with 4GB RAM and above, but they end up being extremely expensive for 16GB RAM ($60/month).

@TerokNor said: (VDS/root server, what's the correct terminology anyway?)

I'd call it VDS. Root server sounds silly since you get root access on all VPSes.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Calin said:

6 dedicated cpu e5-2450l
    16 gb ram
    150 GB SSD

for 5e/monthly

Provider without tag or just con summer shite host

• @Calin said:

Made 2 weeks ago , HP Gen 8 on rack

You need shorter patch cables, and labels on everything. Also, a provider tag to sell anything here.

Yes it's about management, only in 4 months I will be able to recover my rank of provider, until then I will upgrade the servers :)

• Let's not change the topic
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

We got some big plans here: https://incognet.io/kvm-vps

With our recent promotion ( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/174408/incognet-kvm-vps-in-the-netherlands-double-ram-or-30-off-w-crypto-ryzen-nvme-big-bw ) you can take 30% off the cost if paying with crypto.

For example:

vCPU: 4 cores @ 3.3 - 3.8Ghz
        RAM: 16384MB (16GB)
        Disk: 150GB NVMe
        IPv4: 1 IP
        IPv6: /64 block included*
        30TB/mo @ 1Gbps
        DDoS Protection

With crypto, that'd be $36.40/mo.

The cheapest option? Probably not, if I'm being honest. But our value comes from undersold nodes that leave room for CPU usage spikes and to accommodate growth as well as our stance on privacy.

RAM is cheap, so if you just need big ram and only 2 CPU cores, we'll hook you up with a good custom plan if that's all you're seeking.

• For your requirements PHP-Friends is best

8 dedi cores/threads AMD EPYC 7452 w. Nested Virt
    40GB RAM
    260GB NVMe
    10TB transfer @ 1Gbps, slows down to 10Mbps after that
    25euro!!

You can contact them if you need custom plan, they can offer you something ever better for you.

https://php-friends.de/vserver-ssd

Thanked by 1TerokNor
  • imokimok Member
    edited October 2021

@seriesn / NexusBytes and @MikeA / ExtraVM have some good stuff in USA.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • @imok said:
    ... @MikeA / ExtraVM have some good stuff in USA.

+1 for ExtraVM. Those VDSes are under specials though and not much stock (only one atm and that's in TX, USA).

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Decicus said:

@imok said:
    ... @MikeA / ExtraVM have some good stuff in USA.

+1 for ExtraVM. Those VDSes are under specials though and not much stock (only one atm and that's in TX, USA).

@imok said:
    @seriesn / NexusBytes and @MikeA / ExtraVM have some good stuff in USA.

If anyone orders the last one in Dallas that's in stock open a ticket and I'll add extra NVMe space for free.

Thanked by 2Decicus imok
  • @Calin said:
    Yes it's about management, only in 4 months I will be able to recover my rank of provider, until then I will upgrade the servers :)

• Let's not change the topic

Hi @cociu rereg

Thanked by 1NobodyInteresting
  • @AXYZE said: For your requirements PHP-Friends is best

Indeed, php-friends.de seem to be very close to be a good alternative, I will have a closer look at them.

By the way, is it my hyperopia or there is no English version of their site? There's neither for prepaid-hoster.de. I also remember a large part of netcup.eu site is German-only

I mean, I love German people, but out of curiosity, are these providers targeting only German customers in general?

@TerokNor said:

@AXYZE said: For your requirements PHP-Friends is best

Indeed, php-friends.de seem to be very close to be a good alternative, I will have a closer look at them.

By the way, is it my hyperopia or there is no English version of their site? There's neither for prepaid-hoster.de. I also remember a large part of netcup.eu site is German-only

I mean, I love German people, but out of curiosity, are these providers targeting only German customers in general?

note the 12 month contract period with them.
    if youre wary, i would try prepaid-hoster.de
    another german language provider, lol

Thanked by 1TerokNor
  • See: google translate

Vertragliches

Mindestvertragslaufzeit 1 Monat
    Abrechnungszeitraum 1 Monat

Contractual

Minimum contract term 1 month
    Billing period 1 month

• @TerokNor said:

Control panel is in English for both PHP-Friends and netcup.
    They probably have enough clients and they dont care about expanding.
    German site & german datacenter and they dont want more than that.

Thanked by 1TerokNor
  • @bruh21 said:

@TerokNor said:

You can change contract to 1 month, but you will spend a little bit extra

• @bruh21 said:

Afaik prepaid-hoster only allows signups from Germany. I tried to sign up a while ago, but couldn't use Netherlands as country. I asked them about this, but they did not even reply. 🙁

@dufu said:

@bruh21 said:

Afaik prepaid-hoster only allows signups from Germany. I tried to sign up a while ago, but couldn't use Netherlands as country. I asked them about this, but they did not even reply. 🙁

im from america and it worked fine for me

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2021

Hi!
    You can take a look on our VPS Cloud offer: https://hazi.ro/vps-cloud

In about one week we'll have VPS Cloud also in Romania with owned dedicated servers (currently OVH Game nodes).

Best regards, Florin.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TerokNor said:
    I have used netcup.eu root servers, from which I am happy in general.

Never tried anything else for dedicated virtual resources, so I was wondering if there is something else out there, also stable but cheaper than netcup.

Requirements:

• a couple of dedicated vcores*
    • >16GB RAM the more the better
    • preferably Europe, but don't care much
    • don't care for high performance disks
    • >=100mbps bw / ~1TB per month max, don't care for dedicated IP4 (nat is accepted, not ip6)

I have no personal experience with them (yet) and use a netCup VDS myself, but based on what I've heard and seen, if I needed a VDS again today, I'd try php-Friends and/or ask NexusBytes / @seriesn if and what he can offer in his NL location.

One decisive criterion being that I'd prefer to avoid anexia, another one being that php-friends' VDS include what seems to be a decent Anti-DDOS, and they are slightly cheaper than netCup too. I do not have information on php-friends' routing/connectivity though.

Thanked by 1TerokNor
  • @bruh21 said:

@dufu said:

@bruh21 said:

im from america and it worked fine for me

Hmm I’ll check again. Maybe it’s only the trials that require a German phone number?