Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

did hubic (from ovh) improve?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

did hubic (from ovh) improve?

afnafn Member
edited October 2021 in General

Hi

I used hubic, ~6/7 years ago and the service was horrible, 1-2 MB/s download speeds, webUI very buggy, it wasn't even worth the 5€. I thought it would end up failing miserably and they would simply close the service.

I noticed today they are still alive. How the hell are those people still online with that quality of service? does anyone know if things improved or are they just still online by chance?

Comments

• @afn said:
    Hi

I used hubic, ~6/7 years ago and the service was horrible, 1-2 MB/s download speeds, webUI very buggy, it wasn't even worth the 5€. I thought it would end up failing miserably and they would simply close the service.

I noticed today they are still alive, does anyone know if things improved or are they just still online by chance?

Its walking dead.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They kept saying my card was declined but the bank wasn't seeing an attempt, so likely fraud filter. Years later they still keep trying to charge me and letting me know that they can't. It's a game to me to see how long it can last.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Was wondering…. Hubic is still alive? :o

• It's alive but they don't take new customers I think and they did stop any development for it.

• miHoYomiHoYo Member
    edited October 2021

works well, and fast

• It still has a 10Mb/s cap.

• It's functional, you can't upgrade or downgrade, only cancel. It's been in this state for a few years.

They're closed to new customers.

• afnafn Member
    edited October 2021

Oh, I noticed now "We have therefore decided to stop developing hubiC and suspend the creation of new accounts"

My guess is : it was meant as an experimental service to test their "public cloud" solution and it already did the job, they charged so cheap so that you can't complain much if things go wrong. They are trying to get out of market slowly, so maybe when the number of active client drops they will announce the end of the service.

Do you intend to offer a new solution equivalent to hubiC in the future?
    No. We recommend that customers looking for new accounts consult our Public Cloud Storage and Public Cloud Archive solutions.

I guess for the people who still has active accounts with them, this is a secondary backup solution. So for the cheap price, I am sure some people will be happy to spend few weeks to get their data back at slow speed if some disaster happen to their main storage + main backup. So I guess it makes sense to see they still have some customers.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2021

@afn said: 1-2 MB/s download speeds, webUI very buggy, it wasn't even worth the 5€

You do not have to use the web UI since there are command-line tools to mount or sync it. And considering you got 10 TB of space for 5 EUR/mo -- or 50 EUR/year, speeds of 1-2 MB/s could be fine for some uses.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@gestiondbi said:
    Was wondering…. Hubic is still alive? :o

I thought the project is gone by now. Much better to get Microsoft 365 Business and use Onedrive.