Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesale Internet - Dedicated Server Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wholesale Internet - Dedicated Server Hosting

Does anyone have any experience with Wholesale Internet? Looking to get a dedicated server for about $125 (give or take a few dollars) a month and they seem to have great prices. We were looking into OVH but can admit we are not techy experts so we would need a little support. Looking through the forums it seems OVH offers little to no support. Any recommendations would be great. We don't mind waiting a day or so if need be.

Server needs are as follows

CPU: 8 - 12 Cores
RAM: 16GB
1 - 2TB Storage SSD Preferred
Network Connection: 1000 Mbps ( may need to pay more for guaranteed bandwidth)
We are doing streaming for churches and businesses. Nothing adult or illegal.

If our price is too low... please give us some recommendations thank you.

Comments

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider

They don't have DDoS protection so if you are planning to be DDoSed they may not be the best route. Otherwise, if that does not matter to you for the price WholeSaleInternet is great. When I have used them from time to time their support has always been good.

They have been around for a while, overall a solid company.

OVH has way worse support - so if support matters OVH is not the route to go.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

They're not going to offer the kind of support you seem to be wanting. Nor will any service with similar hardware to cost ratio.

Thanked by 1Cre8tivStudios
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

May I recommend RackSpace?

Be prepared to sell your firstborn but they've got support.

• Their hardwares are probably from my grandfathers time. But they do have "newer rigs". Just be sure that they provided you a good HDD/SSD before hosting anything serious and be sure to have backups.

• There are power outages every month or so (so your server will get rebooted). Stay away from them.

• Go with ReliableSite managed.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

something from reliablesite perhaps

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • @Cre8tivStudios said: We were looking into OVH but can admit we are not techy experts so we would need a little support

You want a managed server or at least one with a basic managed option.

• reliablesite managed is the best for dedi route, best price around & decent support.

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • Take a look at worldstream. Their support is quite good and fast. Services are reliable/stable.

• Goto the interserver.com they have good rates and support is very good

• Got a E5-2670v2 server from them about 5-6 years ago for $49 per month, kept it for about 2 years, total downtime was less than 1 day combined throughout the 2 years, and the support was pretty responsive compared to OVH, thus I am pretty positive with them. However, if you need managed services such as many linux setups or non-hardware related issues, then they are not your best choice. Also bear in mind that their hardware are kinda old in general, so don't be suprised with a 50k hour hard drive considering the low price.

• I colocated a server with them from around 2008 to 2013. Suffered a power outage and a handful of minor network outages. Well over 99.9% uptime though. $400/yr colo on a 1U was a bargain back then.

• CoastHostingCoastHosting Member, Host Rep

Wholesale Internet support was just not there when i was inquiring. did not even respond to queries.

• Ian_Dot_TechIan_Dot_Tech Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2021

It's interesting to see all the replies which had issues. I guess I was lucky to have had no issues though it has been a few years since I had an offsite machine there.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Ian_Dot_Tech said:
    It's interesting to see all the replies which had issues. I guess I was lucky to have had no issues though it has been a few years since I had an offsite machine there.

I love them I just don't rely on them for production, unless downtime isn't an issue. It's pretty much guaranteed. They don't have as much redundancy as others. Their prices are sufficient for it though, so no harm no foul.

• Stay away outages every week , 0 support

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Moderator, Patron Provider

@Cre8tivStudios said: Network Connection: 1000 Mbps ( may need to pay more for guaranteed bandwidth)

Hi Cre8tivStudios!

Does what you are saying about guaranteed bandwidth mean that you expect to be able to saturate your 1000 Mbps connection?

How many simultaneous video connections could 1000 Mbps support? I've seen mention of 25 Mbps per connection for 4K Ultra HD content, so maybe guaranteed 1000 Mbps might support, at best, 40 connections?

What server hardware is required to saturate a 1000 Mbps connection? I have no idea. But here is a thread about Netflix serving video at 400Gb/s.

Hopefully your viewers will be close to the location where you deploy your server?

Best wishes from Mexico!

Tom

• @Cre8tivStudios said:
    Network Connection: 1000 Mbps ( may need to pay more for guaranteed bandwidth)
    We are doing streaming for churches and businesses. Nothing adult or illegal.

Is it better to use CDN like bunny.net to serve the videos and use the dedi just to automate anything you need to do so that the video can be uploaded?

You don’t need to bother about bandwidth anymore, and the video can be served closer to the user

Thanked by 1Not_Oles
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

They are known not to provide much support. Most churches barely stream in 1080, and with a 4mbps bitrate, you can expect to support roughly 480 simultaneous viewers on a 1Gbps connection without buffering. You would definitely want to confirm that you’ll have dedicated bandwidth for your server. You don’t necessarily need unmetered data transfer though, especially if your views are one or two days a week.

If the broadcasts are live only, then you don’t need much storage. However, if you’ll be streaming on demand content, then you’ll definitely want some fast SSD storage, or at least a lot of hard drives in a RAID array.

• @1gservers said:

They are known not to provide much support. Most churches barely stream in 1080, and with a 4mbps bitrate, you can expect to support roughly 480 simultaneous viewers on a 1Gbps connection without buffering. You would definitely want to confirm that you’ll have dedicated bandwidth for your server. You don’t necessarily need unmetered data transfer though, especially if your views are one or two days a week.

If the broadcasts are live only, then you don’t need much storage. However, if you’ll be streaming on demand content, then you’ll definitely want some fast SSD storage, or at least a lot of hard drives in a RAID array.

Most of the time these clients will be using WebTV software to replay their own content. From what we have on one server, the software records to FLV (I have no clue how that works) then it plays continuously until they stream again and it simulcasts to Youtube and Facebook, which will be where all the traffic is. All accounts have a 2M limit on streaming. Our experience from churches we help is that they can put out a quality stream out of OBS at 1500Kbps that looks fine with a good camera. I will have to do more research but I am just quoting the specs based on the software specs provided by the website. We have one server now that's doing good but need to double up.

• This might help. Restream allows you to broadcast live video to 30+ social networks at the same time.

https://restream.io/pricing

• @redmaya said:
    This might help. Restream allows you to broadcast live video to 30+ social networks at the same time.

https://restream.io/pricing

We use restream regularly. We are now providing services to the churches in our area.