Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Super-cheap VPS for personal SS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Super-cheap VPS for personal SS?

DigikaDigika Member
edited September 2021 in Requests

I lie in a poor 3rd world shithole where a lot of resources blocked by government and I want to set up personal shadowsock proxy to have good fast access to said resources. TOR does well but slow, free proxy die within seconds. Issue is, as I've mentioned before, it is very poor country and I can't really afford such luxury as paying for VPS more than 1-2USD a month.

Now, I understand this is probably a pipe dream but is it possible to find such VPS with decent specs for SS (it does like to tax CPU especially with fast_tcp_open) somewhere in EU for 1-2$ months with IPV4 (can be NAT as well, I dont mind much)?

And yes, I did browser Offers page. For LowEndTalk the prices are funny, 10$ and above and it just filled with marketers and shills

Comments

• https://my.webhorizon.in/order/main/index/nat

From $4/year.

I got one in Singapore, it works.

Thanked by 3Abd I_Dissected Alireza
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2021

@comXyz said:
    https://my.webhorizon.in/order/main/index/nat

From $4/year.

Thanks for the recommendation mate :)

@Digika Do note the $4 plan comes with 2GB SSD space now as some people were it short.
    So it should work.
    We also have some auto-install scripts B)

Thanked by 1Alireza
  • @comXyz said:

Works for what, though.
    I'm confused by their "1 CPU Core(s) (fair share)" - 1 core might not be enough already for SS especially if you tweak setting for performance and + being shared... I guess that explains 4$ price.

• @Digika said: Works for what

shadowsock proxy / Wireguard / OpenVPN. I tried all, using Wireguard now

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021

@Digika said:

@comXyz said:

Works for what, though.
    I'm confused by their "1 CPU Core(s) (fair share)" - 1 core might not be enough already for SS especially if you tweak setting for performance and + being shared... I guess that explains 4$ price.

if you want more than one core for under $2 a month then you're probably out of luck until black friday or if you want to prepay yearly for $24

here is the only monthly one i can think of off the top of my head: https://clients.hostsailor.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=439

and no shit, of course theyre shared. i would assume that vps cores are shared unless said otherwise. at $2, you can take your shared complaints and shove it up your ass

Thanked by 1ask_seek_knock
  • AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2021

shadowsocks doesn't use 1 full core afik ... we have people using it & so made an auto install script here for NAT VPS

However, if you need a higher conf or are concerned about the NAT part, VZ w dedicated IP might work https://my.webhorizon.in/order/main/index/ovz

Edit: referring to Shadowsocks-libev version

Thanked by 1kheng86
  • itoito Member, Host Rep

@Digika said:

@comXyz said:

Works for what, though.

If you have read the source code of ss, you will know that ss will only take up single-core performance. Multi-core does not help ss.

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited September 2021

$23.49 per year with 3 vCPU and 2.5 GB RAM
    Less than $2 per month
    @dustinc

3x vCPU Core
    40 GB SSD Cached RAID-10 Storage
    2.5 GB RAM
    6500GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
    1Gbps Public Network Port
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    KVM / SolusVM Control Panel - Reboot, Reinstall, Manage rDNS, & much more

https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=129

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • @dev_vps said:
    $23.49 per year with 3 vCPU and 2.5 GB RAM
    Less than $2 per month
    @dustinc

3x vCPU Core
    40 GB SSD Cached RAID-10 Storage
    2.5 GB RAM
    6500GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
    1Gbps Public Network Port
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
    KVM / SolusVM Control Panel - Reboot, Reinstall, Manage rDNS, & much more

https://my.racknerd.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=129

In Europe?

Thanked by 1dustinc
  • https://clients.hostsailor.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=449
    Special Seaman KVM

1 GB RAM
    1 GB SWAP
    30 GB HDD
    2 Cores
    1 Gbit Port
    1 TB Bandwidth
    1 IPV4 address
    /64 IPV6
    Hosted in Netherlands / Romania

$2 USD

Might just suit your needs. It is monthly.

• Thanks for the responses, a lot of good options, actually. I'm doing test run on WebHorizon 2$@year option 128MbNAT and it is indeed kinda slow.

• budgetvm.host

Thanked by 1HaendlerIT
  • @Digika said:
    Thanks for the responses, a lot of good options, actually. I'm doing test run on WebHorizon 2$@year option 128MbNAT and it is indeed kinda slow.

which test have you done? was it cpu benchmark?

• AlirezaAlireza Member
    edited October 2021

i got one from these guys 256mb for 7usd year ,Ive connected 7 decices so far wireguard and its fast WebHorizon good job

• @Digika said: I lie in a poor 3rd world shithole where a lot of resources blocked by government and I want to set up personal shadowsock proxy to have good fast access to said resources.

What are "said resources?" How do you test the speed?

• VitalyVitaly Member, Host Rep

Good day.
    you may test our VPS,
    since ~1.2usd per month, with annual plan.

VPS KVM на HDD
    Virtualization KVM
    Channel (fair-share) 200 Mbit
    Number of Cores 1
    RAM size 512 Mb
    HDD storage capacity 5 Gb
    IPv4 addresses (1 pc.) 12.4 ₽ / month
    IPv6 addresses (1 pc.) 0 ₽ / month

http://lg.justhost.ru/ you can test datacenter network here

• DigikaDigika Member
    edited October 2021

@comXyz said:

@Digika said:
    Thanks for the responses, a lot of good options, actually. I'm doing test run on WebHorizon 2$@year option 128MbNAT and it is indeed kinda slow.

which test have you done? was it cpu benchmark?

No, I've just installed target software and did some runs and multiple consecutive requests end up slowing down to a crawl and I was nowhere NEAR the stated for the plan network speed limit and CPU usage wasnt even that high.

• I'm fine using the $4/year VPS to browse websites and download some files.
    You should choose a VPS that suite your needs.

• DigikaDigika Member
    edited October 2021

@ascicode said:
    budgetvm.host

They state their budget "Entry" VM is just 0.29EUR however you cant really get it for 1 month for test drive for these 0.29, you have to top up balance with 5 EUR min and they offer no refunds, they even have dedicated checkbox saying you agree to no refunds policy.

Sketchy af.

• @Digika said:

@ascicode said:
    budgetvm.host

They state their budget "Entry" VM is just 0.29EUR however you cant really get it for 1 month for test drive for these 0.29, you have to top up balance with 5 EUR min and they offer no refunds, they even have dedicated checkbox saying you agree to no refunds policy.

Sketchy af.

Nothing sketchy, just low budget you wanted.

• I used gullo's 128m memory VPS, the system is debian8 x64
    Installed caddy+php+sqlite+v2ray software
    The website is protected by cloudflare,
    v2ray uses ws mode.
    Website building and VPN can be satisfied at the same time.

• DigikaDigika Member
    edited October 2021

@ascicode said: Nothing sketchy, just low budget you wanted.

Sur, and because it is a low-budget it always a lottery and MUST find a way trial-test it or test it with minimum money loss.

I wrote to the budgetvm monkeys, asking them wtf, why should I give them 5EUR out with no ability to refund just to test their 0.29 offer for a month? Their reply was "well if you cant spend as much then you are not worth to us"? Like, what the actual fuck does that mean? You are the one who put up "le budget price" and when someone pointed out you actual asking price does not match what you promised you get all pissy and upright? And why the fuck would I drop 5EUR just to have later a chance to lean their offering is absolute trash and previous, that was cheaper may be marginally better? Is your business model is not to retain happy clients but rather extract these non-refundable 5EUR from everyone who tries your shit? Who is being cheap here, then?

People like that are cancer of this industry.

• wyaneywyaney Member

@comXyz said:
    https://my.webhorizon.in/order/main/index/nat

From $4/year.

Very rubbish application, it is definitely a huge pit for ordinary people

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@wyaney said: Very rubbish application, it is definitely a huge pit for ordinary people

Oh hello there ordinary necroposter.

Thanked by 1bdl
This discussion has been closed.