Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EU - How get ASN and IPv6/IPv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EU - How get ASN and IPv6/IPv4

I'd like to have my own ASN and IPv6 or even IPv4 and announce it. It's only a fun thing so I'm looking for the smallest options available. I don't know where to begin or what to do.. I believe RIPE matters for me in EU, correct me if im wrong

Comments

• jmgcaguiclajmgcaguicla Member
    edited October 2021

If you're just looking for a "lab" environment to fuck around with BGP you should check dn42.eu instead of dishing out moolah for the ASN registration + IP range.

Thanked by 3kevertje neverain b0lt
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@kevertje said:
    I'd like to have my own ASN and IPv6 or even IPv4 and announce it. It's only a fun thing so I'm looking for the smallest options available. I don't know where to begin or what to do.. I believe RIPE matters for me in EU, correct me if im wrong

Hi,

I can do ASN Registration in RIPE for 30 EUR one time fee.
    Check signature.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@kevertje said:

yes, if your organization (in this case you as a natural person) is based in .eu and operates its networks there, then RIPE is the correct RIR (Regional Internet Registry). Most End-Users get their resources from a so called LIR (Local Internet Registry). The LIR either assigns your part of its IP-Resources for usage (it gets from the RIR), or in specific cases of AS-Number Request or Provider Independant IP-Resources requests those for you (and acts as your legal "tether" to the RIR).

• you can get an AS-Number when you meet certain requirements and can demonstrate a need. Such as your network being multi-homed.

• IPv6 you have to differentiate between Provider Independent (PI: Resources belonging to the End User/You) and Provider Aggregatable (PA: Resources of th LIR assigned to the end-user/you for usage). In case of PI, you once again have to demonstrate a "need" when requesting. As you can guess, PA is easier to request (from your point of view), but binds you to the LIR, whereas PI - you can switch sponsoring LIR's without renumbering.

It's only a fun thing so I'm looking for the smallest options available.

• In this case the "cheapest" option if you just want to learn and play, is to check out DN42,...

See:
    https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-679#AssignmentCriteria
    https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-738#assignment
    https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-738#IPv6_PI_Assignments

So lets talk about the "hobbynet" scenario.
    If you can demonstrate that the project you are working on is multi-homed (test: do you have 2 bgp-peers, that will connect to once you receive the AS-Number) and do not have existing resources/AS-Numbers - then most LIR's will be able to sponsor your request. For starting I'd suggest ipv6 PA.
    => Startup cost (based on my offerings) for Sponsoring an AS-Number + ipv6 PI: 90 Euro excl. VAT.

If you are a Student (proof required), then feel free to open a ticket. (Student Pricing is 35/yr for a /48 ipv6 pa+ASN Sponsoring)

So lets talk about the "Production" scenario.

• AS-Number Sponsoring (Pass "multi-homed" Test)
    • IPv6 - PI or PA (PI if you want to be able to switch LIR's later)
    • IPv4 - you'll probably lease a /24 in the beginning. As you (end-user/individual) are unlikely to be able to buy and hold an ipv4 PI /24 prefix (in order to hold PA, you would need to become a LIR yourself).

=> Startup Cost (based on my offerings): IPv6PA+ASN Sponsoring or IPv6PI Sponsoring (Free AS Sponsoring included)- 90/yr (7.5/mo). Leasing a /24 -> 110 euro per month => so around 117.5 euro per month excl vat

=> Startup Cost alternative(based on my offerings): 100 (one time as-request), 60/yr for ipv6 PA, leasing /24 ipv6 for 110/month

• vouch for @RickBakkr

Thanked by 1RickBakkr
  • RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Thanks for the vouch. I cannot recall who is behind the nick, mind writing me one way or another to remind me, so I can thank personally? I have some goodies in the office ready to be sent out ;-)

For those looking: feel free to reach out, we're still offering!