Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

from cloudflare dns to namesilo dns
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

from cloudflare dns to namesilo dns

gappergapper Member
edited October 2021 in General

hello guys im using cloudflare (dns only) for my domain but would like to swtich to namesilo dns because i hate using a lot of systems and want to keep it simple. is this a good idea? are they the same quality?

Comments

• are they the same quality?

See: https://www.dnsperf.com/

Why switch from CloudFlare to Namesilo DNS instead of the other way around?

• Tony40Tony40 Member
    edited October 2021

if you want something simple, install KeyHelp Control Panel and you can manage all your domains DNS., that ways you can have your domains custom name servers.

https://www.keyhelp.de/en/

• actually in real use its not always the fastest DNS (according to resolver time) is fastest. I switched from 1.1.1.1 dns to Quad9 and HE, and though they resolve slower than CF and Google since those are quite less used by masses, they appear to be faster while loading page resources (that is entire page resource). While CF and Google, though Anycast, and having peering in my city tend to load resources slower (but connection/resolving time is better) as their dns paths are having heavy traffic 24/7.

For domains, I've CF, and Namecheap. Namecheap's DNS is also good from past few years. Can't say about namesilo.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Most DNS services are good enough for 99.9% of uses. I use NameSilo's free DNS for a few domains and it supports all the basic record types I need and serves them up fast enough.

Only gripe from recent experience is that the interface to add/remove records is slow and it seems like they batch updates (records being pushed to the nameservers). Changing/adding a record can take 15-20 mins before it starts being served.

• bruh21bruh21 Member, Host Rep

@Harambe said: Changing/adding a record can take 15-20 mins before it starts being served.

Can confirm, I would otherwise use their free DNS but that is an annoyance

• @bruh21 said:

@Harambe said: Changing/adding a record can take 15-20 mins before it starts being served.

Can confirm, I would otherwise use their free DNS but that is an annoyance

+1, Namesilo free dns is garbage. Stay with cloudflare

• JasonMJasonM Member
    edited October 2021

Before changing from any old provider to new provider, set TTL to as low as 300 seconds at old provider and then go to new provider and use similar ttl. If TTL on earlier provider is like a day, week in ms, then the new dns propogation will take enough time to reflect across the world. Also go to dns.google.com and refresh your particular domain's dns. So at least users using google dns gets fresh and instant dns update from your domain.

• As far as I can remember namesilo does not let you set a TTL below 3600