Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burst.net miss
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Burst.net miss

Excuse.
I only came here because i miss burst.net
Whenever i had a problem with the burst, i would create another vps inside it.
It was an endless cycle.

Just for the young ones (who didn't know this wonder) to know how good it was

Thanked by 1raindog308

Comments

• inside it? means inside what?

• my first VPS

• didnt they offer shells ? and not VPS ?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited October 2021

Their datacenter was a literal shack that was falling apart.

And some hosts on LET were partially responsible for their downfall.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • My first dedi provider a decade ago..

• 5$
    Ram: 512MB
    HDD: 20
    BW: 1TB
    Veportal

Thanked by 2MannDude Francisco
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2021

Gone, but never forgotten.

Ninja edit: Actually I don't recall if that was Burst or some other cheap server provider from the day.

Thanked by 3adly deqi Ironia
  • FDCServers IIRC?

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@NickA said:
    FDCServers IIRC?

Ah, I think you may be right now that I think about it.

@MannDude said:
    Nina edit:

Hmmm, okay.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • desperanddesperand Member
    edited October 2021

@rafaelscs said: I only came here because i miss burst.net

http://web.archive.org/web/20110315052647/http://www.burst.net/linvps.shtml

I don't know anything worse than BurstNET.
    How they reach their audience? How they did so big ads and spreading info about themselves and force a lot of people to try their services?

Easy really.

You throw a turd on ground and flies will gather. It's as simple as that. I know it's a bit of a harsh way to describe but that was what it really was.

And that's how it works even now, especially on LET.

Thanked by 1BlaZe
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@desperand said: I don't know anything worse than BurstNET.

Volume Drive ? Oh wait, same same

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@MannDude said:

Gone, but never forgotten.

Ninja edit: Actually I don't recall if that was Burst or some other cheap server provider from the day.

Absolutely NOT BurstNET.

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 1deqi

Those who are not aware,

Smarthost is BurstNet.

Thanked by 4WSWD imok adly BlaZe

@deank said:

Ummm...wrong.
    First data center was an older commercial building in historical section of the city, and by no means a "shack". The new data center built a couple years prior to the demise was in a rather nice commercial office building that was rather impressive.

~ SMARTHOST

@cold said:
    didnt they offer shells ? and not VPS ?

No....never.

~ SMARTHOST

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@SmartHost said:

@deank said:

Ummm...wrong.
    First data center was an older commercial building in historical section of the city, and by no means a "shack". The new data center built a couple years prior to the demise was in a rather nice commercial office building that was rather impressive.

~ SMARTHOST

But you got details as if you were their employ if not burst.net itself.

• @Saahib said:

@SmartHost said:

@deank said:

Ummm...wrong.

~ SMARTHOST

But you got details as if you were their employ if not burst.net itself.

Well....

@deank said:
    Those who are not aware,

Smarthost is BurstNet.

• Shawn @ Smarthost was the founder of Burst.net.
    Had used Burst.net early in the Hosting days. No issues dealing with Shawn or Burst.net.
    He did leave the company prior Burst.net collapse.

@bula said:
    Shawn @ Smarthost was the founder of Burst.net.
    Had used Burst.net early in the Hosting days. No issues dealing with Shawn or Burst.net.
    He did leave the company prior Burst.net collapse.

Correct.
    I was the original founder of BurstNET, forced out by investors, who then proceeded to run it into the ground.

• not many know but Burst.net, Interserver,VDI, DedicatedNow, Beachcomber and few others were very influential to the success of cPanel. Prior to cPanel, Alabanza was a popular control panel in the early days. I remember when Burst.net used to sell cPanel licenses for as low as $10/mo for Unlimited.

Thanked by 1quicksilver03
    edited October 2021

@bula said:
    not many know but Burst.net, Interserver, VDI, DedicatedNow, Beachcomber and few others were very influential to the success of cPanel. Prior to cPanel, Alabanza was a popular control panel in the early days. I remember when Burst.net used to sell cPanel licenses for as low as $10/mo for Unlimited.

Yep, early days of the hosting industry...circa mid 1990's.
    The CEO of CPanel was an employee of BurstNET for many years, until he moved on to focus solely on CPanel. Lots of ex-BurstNET employees were employed by CPanel, and some still are actually. Much of the reseller functionality of CPanel was actually my idea, with many a night Nick staying up programming things I requested in the small college town we were based in at the time.

VDI in NJ was first where we all met in our youth, most of us not happy with Alabanza $400/server pricing at the time. Then BurstNET left VDI and started their own operations in PA, Interserver and LiquidWeb were previously at VDI as well...and both came to BurstNET for awhile, and then started their own operations back in NJ and MI. DedicatedNOW was run by another ex-BurstNET employee that left and partnered with a NJ company (PegasusWeb I think it was called) to operate. There are a bunch more popular hosting companies that started or operated out of BurstNET and then went on to be larger players....Tier.Net was there under a prior name, Nexeon, SolaDrive and PureVoltage as well, and of course the infamous VolumeDrive. There were many others, the likes of Hudson Valley Host, Fresh Roasted, and many more I cannot remember where they all got their start or big growth while with BurstNET. BurstNET had thousands of resellers, and a large chunk of the hosting industry touched the company in one way or another, and the connections in the industry are like the 6-degrees of Kevin Bacon...but with even less steps away. ;-)

Damn...now I really feel old!

~ SMARTHOST

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited October 2021

I miss BurstNET sometimes. Their support was not that good, but they were cheap (at the time)! Good value for money, before all the cheap LowEndBoxes came onto the scene.

I found this spreadsheet from back when I was comparing server providers for my friends and I to use:

This was probably back in 2008 or so I think? I think a lot of those providers don't even exist any more. I don't have any history or the original creation date because it was created on the "old" Google Sheets and they didn't retain history when everything was migrated across.

Back then I used servers with a single 5400rpm IDE drive (no RAID) and did manual backups maybe once per year? I'm really surprised I never lost any data.

Was it Rackshack? It was also really popular on WHT for a period.

It was flying high, then its CEO sold it and something. Can't clearly recall now.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Didn't burst.net implode due to being stiffed by some big client?

Was that VolumeDrive? Was so long ago I may be mixing up involucratory tales in my mind.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

@raindog308 said: Didn't burst.net implode due to being stiffed by some big client?

Was that VolumeDrive? Was so long ago I may be mixing up involucratory tales in my mind.

I could be wrong, but from what I recall VD had a whole load of debt with Burst.net, the owner of burst at the time mentioned on WHT that "The amount they owe could put my kids through college" sort of debt.

VD (Someone named Josh if I recall correctly) abandoned some really crappy hardware there while secretly (?) establishing a new ~warehouse~ datacenter nearby and soon after that rebranded to what we know today as quadix.

@Zappie said:

@raindog308 said: Didn't burst.net implode due to being stiffed by some big client?

I could be wrong, but from what I recall VD had a whole load of debt with Burst.net, the owner of burst at the time mentioned on WHT that "The amount they owe could put my kids through college" sort of debt.

VD (Someone named Josh if I recall correctly) abandoned some really crappy hardware there while secretly (?) establishing a new ~warehouse~ datacenter nearby and soon after that rebranded to what we know today as quadix.

Correct.

~ SMARTHOST

Thanked by 2lonea mike1s