Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mSATA SSD Light stay on with PC is powered off.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mSATA SSD Light stay on with PC is powered off.

Tony40Tony40 Member
edited September 2021 in Help

I plug in a new mSATA SSD on a fanless Mini PC that came with a SATA HD,

I config the SSD for boot OS and SATA for Storage.

I installed Linux Mint on it.
went powered off the PC the red light on the SSD stay on., I unplug it and plug it back on to make sure it click. but the red light stay on with the PC off.
Anybody experience this before?

Comments

• Burn it.

Thanked by 1imok
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Burn it.

Thanked by 1imok
  • haven't you downloaded an unholy content?!?!?!

use ls and chmod to get rid of any 666 content asap

Thanked by 3frog imok bulbasaur
  • You have been caught by the new Chinese Pr0n Alert System.

• I have same issue because bad SSD, try using other ssd.

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • @Tony40 said:

went powered off the PC the red light on the SSD stay on., I unplug it and plug it back on to make sure it click. but the red light stay on with the PC off.

Just because you shut off the machine (power supply) doesn't mean there isn't excess power still stored in the capacitors in the supply -- if the SSD LED only needs a very low amount of power to operate, it is just burning off whatever power is leftover in the power supply caps... slowly... eventually it will shut off once the caps are completely drained.

If not then you may have a super cheap power supply and it may be worth investing in a quality power supply.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • -Unplug mini pc
    -Press the power button.
    -Turn off power on mini pc, and plug power back in.
    There should be no light on mSata

Thanked by 1Tony40
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@TheLinuxBug said:

@Tony40 said:

Just because you shut off the machine (power supply) doesn't mean there isn't excess power still stored in the capacitors in the supply

Yes, plus turning off modern PCs does not cut off power completely. The standard even requires the 5V rail to stay powered albeit with little power.

@Tony40

Also note that a lit LED does not necessarily mean that the mSata currently works (read/write), it may also mean "power is OK" or "I'm active/turned on" or "I'm in ready state" (something like sleep mode). In your case it probably means "I'm in sleep state and the bus is deactivated but I can be put in active mode when required" (~ when system is turned on).

Thanked by 1Tony40