Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried to update SYS arm server to debian 9 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone tried to update SYS arm server to debian 9 ?

Hi ,
I have arm server from OVH SYS for backups with this OS version :
root@SRV:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8.11 (jessie)
Release: 8
Codename: jessie
root@SRV:~#

Did anyone here tried to upgrade it to "debian 9 stretch" and succeed ?
How to do so ?

Comments

• edited September 2021

Why not? Debian release 11 Bullseye already..

• itoito Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2021
    nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Change "jessie"in the source to "bullseye".

save it

Then
    sudo apt update && apt upgrade -y

last

reboot

easy

• SYS ARM is custom build and has a modified kernel. upgrading isn't that easy. there was a project though which managed to build their own kernels and bootimages... @TheLinuxBug

• @ito said:

for the lazy ones:
    sed -i 's/jessie/bullseye/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

but I would suggest to upgrade step by step (8->9->10->11) instead one big jump

• @Andrews said:

@ito said:

for the lazy ones:

I'm not lazy nor newbie ,
    I'm asking because ovh has it own kernel and the server itself is custom built , not sure if the upgrade is the some or I'll just destroy my OS .

• @Falzo is the only one who's given sound advice so far. Please don't try a regular upgrade, or you may end up with an unusable system.

I no longer have one of these boxes, so I can't offer advice. But it wasn't easy to deal with them because of the custom nature of the OS, so I decided to get rid of mine (despite their quite decent IO performance.)

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • itoito Member, Host Rep

@momkin said:

@Andrews said:

@ito said:

for the lazy ones:

I'm not lazy nor newbie ,
    I'm asking because ovh has it own kernel and the server itself is custom built , not sure if the upgrade is the some or I'll just destroy my OS .

So I just asked you to change his version number instead of directly modifying it to the public source.
    In order to automatically obtain the debian11 files of the default source, if ovh does not update the debian11 dependent files, you will not receive any updates accordingly.