Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linode DDOS Protection
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Linode DDOS Protection

I don't see much mentioned of Linode's 'Free Advanced DDOS Protection' that they launched last year. Any reviews or comments on it from anyone here?

Comments

• neverainneverain Member
    edited August 2021

Upto 40gbps, it's alright

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

After they launched it I contacted them a while after requesting info about it and they basically said it wasn't completed and they couldn't give any information. I wouldn't rely on it solely.

• Btw anyone knows if Linode direct competitors (DigitalOcean, Vultr, UpCloud, AWS Lightsail) have better DDoS protection included in price?

• adlyadly Veteran

@AXYZE said:
    Btw anyone knows if Linode direct competitors (DigitalOcean, Vultr, UpCloud, AWS Lightsail) have better DDoS protection included in price?

AFAIK, beyond their own network level protections none have inclusive DDoS protection. Vultr has a basic add-on option up to 10Gbps and AWS Shield can be upgraded with a support contract, but both cost extra.

• @adly said:

@AXYZE said:
    Btw anyone knows if Linode direct competitors (DigitalOcean, Vultr, UpCloud, AWS Lightsail) have better DDoS protection included in price?

AFAIK, beyond their own network level protections none have inclusive DDoS protection. Vultr has a basic add-on option up to 10Gbps and AWS Shield can be upgraded with a support contract, but both cost extra.

Yea I know about extra options. Sad that no global provider has proper DDoS protection included like OVH.

• DDoS protection is a scam

• I'm running gaming servers, many of them are popular targets. Linode mitigated a lot attacks for me, the largest I got was 2Gbps close to 2Mrps.

Thanked by 1AXYZE
  • oplinkoplink Member, Patron Provider

Linode uses corero, just like we do. Its a good system.

• Some information on the original announcement by Linode can be found here: https://hostingjournalist.com/linode-launches-free-ddos-protection-across-its-global-network/

• @oplink said:
    Linode uses corero, just like we do. Its a good system.

Definitely a good system when configured well. I use a few providers who have Corero.

I don't really like Linode's DDoS protection, at least not yet. The capacity is pretty high for large reflected floods but I think the time-to-mitigate is a bit too long for certain TCP floods, but then again I'm a user where even a few seconds of disruption can be problematic so I think if you're just trying to protect a website or something it'll be a decent option.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@dahartigan said:
    DDoS protection is a scam

In what way? Wondering if it's the usual conspiracy theory you mean or something even darker

• Thanks guys. I guess the jury is still out. I suppose the other problem is that they have bandwidth overages as well so you could potentially be in for some trouble if your VPS burns through your bandwidth limit during the attack.

• @risharde said:

@dahartigan said:
    DDoS protection is a scam

In what way? Wondering if it's the usual conspiracy theory you mean or something even darker

In the general sense, plus those who sell booters and protection add to the shadiness. Similar to VPN for "privacy" imo..

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @JoeMerit said:
    Thanks guys. I guess the jury is still out. I suppose the other problem is that they have bandwidth overages as well so you could potentially be in for some trouble if your VPS burns through your bandwidth limit during the attack.

Another good point. I've seen multiple gbps leak through until the attack is mitigated. If that happens frequently, you could start running into bandwidth troubles.

Then again, if they can see it's an attack they might waive some of it for you.

• It should be sufficient to withstand an attack by China (MJJs) or it's useless.

Best mitigation against 99.99999999‰ of all the skids is to block all traffic suspected to originate from China, including common VPN IP ranges the MJJs use)

• ploxhostploxhost Member, Patron Provider

I don’t mind Linode’s ddos protection. Linode has very good & fast support, and if attacks were to leak, I’m sure they would help swiftly.

• Bumping this old thread instead of making a new one.

Does anyone have experience with their DDoS protection recently? I also see they were acquired by Akamai which could have some positive impact I guess.

• @Wicked said: Does anyone have experience with their DDoS protection recently? I also see they were acquired by Akamai which could have some positive impact I guess.

Nope, but I noticed that Linode IPs (in this case Singapore) are now being advertised by Akamai's network. Maybe that helps with ddos protection

• @AXYZE said:

@adly said:

@AXYZE said:

Yea I know about extra options. Sad that no global provider has proper DDoS protection included like OVH.

Hivelocity has fair DDoS protection but nothing at the scale as OVH.