Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Rule: No More Alt Accounts/Multiple Accounts/More Than One Account Per Person
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Rule: No More Alt Accounts/Multiple Accounts/More Than One Account Per Person

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited August 2021 in Announcements

Going forward, we will allow only one account per person.

If you have multiple accounts, pick one and use it consistently going forward.

If you are found to have multiple accounts, mods will close others or close them all depending on what they think is best. If this seems arbitrary to you, (1) it's because it is, (2) it's because mods' time is valuable, and (3) you can avoid issues by choosing which one you're going to use now.

Comments

• @raindog308 said: you can avoid issues by choosing which one you're going to use now.

This one.

• FreemanFreeman Banned, Member
    edited August 2021

Hope you manage to fix your alt detection so everyone using Brave with tracking disabled doesn't get falsely banned for having 1 million alts.

I understand not wanting to waste time with childish report spam, but punishing the providers who have separate accounts for their brand and person doesn't seem like the best way to deal with it. This rule will also incentivize users who want alts badly enough to stop you from tracking them, making it harder for your team to mod the alts, which could end up wasting even more of their valuable time.

You'll probably have to start punishing users who spam your team with petty reports one day.

• Always wondered if @deank is someone's alt will find out soon.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Freeman said:
    punishing the providers who have separate accounts for their brand and person doesn't seem like the best way to deal with it.

In US tax law, a company is considered a person, separate from the man or woman who registers/owns/manages it.
    Therefore, a provider can have one account for the company and another for the owner, but the provider tag can only be awarded to the company account.

• @yoursunny said:

@Freeman said:
    punishing the providers who have separate accounts for their brand and person doesn't seem like the best way to deal with it.

In US tax law, a company is considered a person, separate from the man or woman who registers/owns/manages it.
    Therefore, a provider can have one account for the company and another for the owner, but the provider tag can only be awarded to the company account.

So if I have multiple companies, I can have multiple identities on LET? Awesome.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@codelock said:
    Always wondered if @deank is someone's alt will find out soon.

I am an alt of the voices of the world that echo the end must be nigh.

• @Lee said:
    I will stick with this account, my @deank @dahartigan & @default alts you can just go ahead and delete.

Edit: I will keep this account instead, please delete my old @Lee account as well.

• @stefeman said:

@Lee said:
    I will stick with this account, my @deank @dahartigan & @default alts you can just go ahead and delete.

Edit: I will keep this account instead, please delete my old @Lee account as well.

The end is nigh.

• LeeLee Veteran

@stefeman said: Edit: I will keep this account instead, please delete my old @Lee account as well.

Yeah, only works the first time.

• @Freeman said:
    Hope you manage to fix your alt detection so everyone using Brave with tracking disabled doesn't get falsely banned for having 1 million alts.

I understand not wanting to waste time with childish report spam, but punishing the providers who have separate accounts for their brand and person doesn't seem like the best way to deal with it. This rule will also incentivize users who want alts badly enough to stop you from tracking them, making it harder for your team to mod the alts, which could end up wasting even more of their valuable time.

You'll probably have to start punishing users who spam your team with petty reports one day.

@default said:

@yoursunny said:

@Freeman said:

So if I have multiple companies, I can have multiple identities on LET? Awesome.

Of course. Why would you expect one account from one company to comment for other companies?

@default said:

@yoursunny said:

@Freeman said:

No, you can't.
    You as a person can have one identity.
    Each of your companies can have an identity, which represents the company and not you.

I hereby propose revoking the provider tag of @dustinc and awarding it to @RackNerd the company account.

@deank said:

@codelock said:

You can register a Nigh Sect Inc company and keep this account.

Thanked by 2default bulbasaur
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited August 2021

@yoursunny said:

I hereby propose revoking the provider tag of @dustinc and awarding it to @RackNerd the company account.

Good point.

@deank said:

@codelock said:

You can register a Nigh Sect Inc company and keep this account.

And what if multiple "believers" join(t) that sect? They all use one account as members of one body?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Freeman said: Hope you manage to fix your alt detection so everyone using Brave with tracking disabled doesn't get falsely banned for having 1 million alts.

Oh heavens to betsy, what will we do.

The point is that previously we had no policy on this and now we do. Some ultra-l33t state-sponsored hackers using advanced quantum technologies will no doubt slip by.

@Lee said: I will stick with this account, my @deank @dahartigan & @default alts you can just go ahead and delete.

Compliant donkey does not acquiesce to your request.

@default said: And what if multiple "believers" join(t) that sect? They all use one account as members of one body?

Good point...I mean, no one would copy someone else's avatar, would they? Must all be the same account.

@yoursunny said: In US tax law, a company is considered a person,

You're mangling the truth. There are many countries where corporations are considering legal persons (different than natural persons). OTOH, a "company" might just be a sole proprietor whose company (Joe's Tree Service) is indistinguishable from him. Not sure why you say "tax law" - it's just general law - e.g., contracts. This goes back to ancient Rome.

Thanked by 2Falzo seriesn
  • @raindog308 said:

1. But what if a person does not want to be a person, and instead wishes to be an instrument of various fantasies, or an object for intimate satisfaction (like a piece of software in a stash of linux iso). In such scenarios, can actual objects own a LET account, even if they're personified, yet remain objects within their own definition?
    2. On a different note, if we are all software in the Matrix, can software (not persons) actually own accounts within another software (as an API with a LET key in this case)?
    Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited August 2021

@raindog308 said:
    ... using advanced quantum technologies ...

Hell, how did you find me out? Did my Qomputer leak quanta again?

Q
    (not the Qanon Q but the Startrek Q (well actually just the assistant of his cleaning robot))

Seriously though, a good new rule, thanks!

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @default said:

@raindog308 said:

1. But what if a person does not want to be a person, and instead wishes to be an instrument of various fantasies, or an object for intimate satisfaction (like a piece of software in a stash of linux iso). In such scenarios, can actual objects own a LET account, even if they're personified, yet remain objects within their own definition?
    2. On a different note, if we are all software in the Matrix, can software (not persons) actually own accounts within another software (as an API with a LET key in this case)?

I mean if you want to pretend to be a sex toy I don't think people would mind a second account of you if truly wanted to be a sex toy.

Thanked by 1bulbasaur

@default said: On a different note, if we are all software in the Matrix, can software (not persons) actually own accounts within another software (as an API with a LET key in this case)?

matrix-architect-copy

Thanked by 2default mrTom
  • @default said:
    And what if multiple "believers" join(t) that sect? They all use one account as members of one body?

Hey!

• LeeLee Veteran

@raindog308 said: Compliant donkey

At least we are both aligned on that.

• codelockcodelock Member
    edited August 2021

Deleted

• @raindog308 said:

The point is that previously we had no policy on this and now we do. Some ultra-l33t state-sponsored hackers using advanced quantum technologies will no doubt slip by.

Like previous mjj hackers?

• What about two person sharing the same ip ? Does they need to share there account?

@ben47955 said:
    What about two person sharing the same ip ? Does they need to share there account?

What about two individuals sharing the same body? Do they need to share the account?

What about 24 personalities sharing the same body? Do they need to share the account?

^
    This is exactly why IPv6 comes in subnets.
    Each grain of rice in my bowl has a unique address.
    I'm currently training them to understand PMS, and one day they'll register their LET accounts from their unique addresses.

• @yoursunny said:

@ben47955 said:
    What about two person sharing the same ip ? Does they need to share there account?

What about two individuals sharing the same body? Do they need to share the account?

What about 24 personalities sharing the same body? Do they need to share the account?

^
    I'm currently training them to understand PMS, and one day they'll register their LET accounts from their unique addresses.

But what if one personality wants to rule them all? What if one personality installs a worm on devices, to catch the passwords of LET accounts belonging to other personalities? In such case IPv6 won't help much, while LET would be in serious danger.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • @yoursunny said:

Plot twist, it already happened.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • angeliusangelius Member
    edited August 2021

So I made a bad joke on Cociu topic, I had no bad intentions and made it very obvious on purpose ... Anyways after only 5 minutes my account was marked with the infamous Severe warning red mark. (By @hawc)

How is that working? Is it staying forever? Second question ... How to delete my account on LET?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@angelius said: How to delete my account on LET?

You can't.

LET is Eternal

@angelius said:
    How is that working? Is it staying forever? Second question ... How to delete my account on LET?

Answers to all your questions are in the rules.

But in short, (1)No, only two weeks and by the way no one sees those except you and modsand (2) You can’t

• I chose to keep this one. Please remove my alternative account @Francisco