Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for guidance and/or cheap hosting for personal dedicated game servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for guidance and/or cheap hosting for personal dedicated game servers

peejaygeepeejaygee Member
edited August 2021 in Requests

I figured I'd turn to you guys due to the knowledge I've seen reading posts.

I'm looking for an in-expensive provider, ideally yearly costs, who can just provide me with space/storage, decent specs and as much bandwidth they can. I've heard the terms KVM, OpenVZ, VPS etc in the past, but there may be more, or better options for my needs.

I'm aware Windows would be more expensive than Linux due to licensing, but I'd like to see options of both and get a guesstimate of what I'd be paying before I look even deeper into taking the plunge

Most weekends, I play games with friends, and I'd like to be able to host the current game we are playing regularly offsite (so to speak) so I don't have to run the provided dedicated server on my machine and rely on my internet speeds/connection, provide a non personal IP address, etc.

I'd like the option to just be able to wipe the space and start again if we change games, etc, or get things ready just before the weekend starts. [I have unlimited bandwidth with my ISP, so upload and download isn't an issue for me]

I don't want the pay the prices I see online for the usual game hosting websites, plus a lot I see either host only 50% of the games we play, or are waaaay too expensive.

So, let say I wanted to host things like TF2, Wreckfest, Valheim, Conan Exiles, Rust, 7d2d, etc. So I'm guessing I'd need fairly high specs?

[Edit] I'm located on the East Coast, and I'd say I have a percentage of people are from :-

20% West Coast and Central [USA]
60% East Coast [USA]
10% United Kingdom
10% Europe (Mainly Netherlands)

This can vary from weekend to weekend, but that is an average.

I'm semi confident with putty (I'm on a Windows machine) and can use Google for most things.

Again, new to hosting games remotely, so turning to you guys for help.

Thanks Peeps.
Regards
Paul.

Comments

• AbdAbd Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2021

An Important factor is Location.

Say Which country you're expecting most users from...

Thanked by 2AXYZE peejaygee
  • peejaygeepeejaygee Member
    edited August 2021

@WebHorizon said:
    An Important factor is Location.

Say Which country you're expecting most users from...

Thank you, I didn't even think of that to be honest.

I've updated my post and I'll put here.

I'm located on the East Coast, and I'd say I have a percentage of people are from :-

20% West Coast and Central [USA]
    60% East Coast [USA]
    10% United Kingdom
    10% Europe (Mainly Netherlands)

• see this site for scripts to automate installing the servers in linux and they are really good management scripts for automatic updates and backups also.

https://linuxgsm.com/servers/

A "VPS S" from Contabo would be a great fit for a game server with moderate usage.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited August 2021

Since most of your users are from East coast and East cost is between West coast and Europe Id say East coast is the location of choice.
    You can go with OVH Canada that has mostly the same ping as most East cost servers to both west coast and europe

• acidpukeacidpuke Member
    edited August 2021

Check Virmach for a Chicago dedicated would be a good choice based on your stats ..Not sure if they still have the $27 a month deal going still..but as vovler said OVH Canada would be a great pick also

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

PremiumBytes vDedicated New York

• 1 dedicated Ryzen core
    • 6GB RAM
    • 90GB NVMe
    • $24/month

Notice: paid link above, non-aff

Also consider US-East location of Azure, Oracle Cloud, etc.
    They have hourly instances so that you can start the instance when you are ready to play, and terminate when you don't need it (you no longer pay for CPU and RAM).
    You can also save one disk image for each game (storage is cheap), to avoid the hassle of doing setup every time.

• https://us.ovhcloud.com/vps/compare/
    Vint Hill, USA

$11.50
    2vCPU, 4GB of ram, 80GB SSD, 500Mbps unmetered traffic. I get very good ping from EU to this location.
    You dont need anything better for your needs. Hassle-free, tons of tutorials online which maybe important for you as youre starting out.

You can also check HostHatch. Personally I didnt used them yet, so I cant tell much. Their latest offer is very attractive in terms of specs/price:

2 CPU cores (50% dedicated, burstable up to 200%)
    4 GB RAM
    20 GB NVMe SSD
    5 TB bandwidth
    $30 per year
    Pay for two years - get doubled RAM, storage, and +15 TB free bandwidth
    New York location https://manage.hosthatch.com/billing/order/nvme4-ny
    These specs still will be good enough, but 20GB storage can be a little bit low for some servers, especially if you would want to install couple of them.

Btw
    "10% United Kingdom
    10% Europe (Mainly Netherlands)"
    You do realise, that UK is in Europe... Right... ? :)

• aquaaqua Member, Patron Provider

If Dallas is considered Central, check https://central.so/order , I have tons of spare SSD storage and can work something out with you :smile:

• @AXYZE

Btw
    "10% United Kingdom
    10% Europe (Mainly Netherlands)"
    You do realise, that UK is in Europe... Right... ? :)

And also, did you know I'm a Brit living in the States, and when someone asks were I'm from, I'll say 'Britain', 'England' or 'The United Kingdom', but I'd never say I was from 'Europe' hence why I still differentiate it when giving locations. :)

But to answer your question, I do know the UK is in Europe and we never did adopt the Euro currency. Weird, right. :)